AC Delco Dexos D

This was on display at the local GM dealer’s parts counter. Anyone have a GM auto calling for it? Other comments? Enjoy.

2AD5A98F-1324-4D5E-9DD5-558B60FC6DB5.jpeg

You clearly haven't seem some of our 1.2/1.4 diesels in small Ford Fiestas and VW Polos over in Europe then!
Over here we just think of diesels being more heavy duty all things considered. For example the Chevy Colorado is offered with a 2.8L 4 diesel and a 2.5L 4 petrol. The diesel option would be fine for towing, the gas not so much.

I bought a 2020 AT4 with the 3.0l Duramax. So far it's a wonderful driving truck which easily hauls my 5100lb camper. Haven't even hit the first oil change. Oh...they spec'd a brand new filter to go along with the brand new oil. AC Delco PF66. I talked directly to Baldwin and they are in the process of engineering one and hope to have it done around the first of the year. So far as the "light duty"...not EVERY diesel owner needs to tow 35000 lbs of cars behind them. Some of us just like having that low end grunt and good MPG. So far I'm averaging 28 city/hwy mix. I see low 30's unladen on the highway (70mph) and roughly half that towing. And HERE is something which will surely get all the so called "experts" flamed up....the 10 speed transmission(which I love) was jointly developed with FORD for use in their LDDiesels. Juts fanning the flames....for the 99% of those who talk smack about something they don't drive and never intend to own. Good truck so far.

Last edited:
I bought a 2020 AT4 with the 3.0l Duramax. So far it's a wonderful driving truck which easily hauls my 5100lb camper. Haven't even hit the first oil change. Oh...they spec'd a brand new filter to go along with the brand new oil. AC Delco PF66. I talked directly to Baldwin and they are in the process of engineering one and hope to have it done around the first of the year. So far as the "light duty"...not EVERY diesel owner needs to tow 35000 lbs of cars behind them. Some of us just like having that low end grunt and good MPG. So far I'm averaging 28 city/hwy mix. I see low 30's unladen on the highway (70mph) and roughly half that towing. And HERE is something which will surely get all the so called "experts" flamed up....the 10 speed transmission(which I love) was jointly developed with FORD for use in their LDDiesels. Juts fanning the flames....for the 99% of those who talk smack about something they don't drive and never intend to own. Good truck so far.
Please report back after enduring negative temps for days on end. A recent Colorado 2.8L didn't fare well driving through -20 and -30 deg F temps while on its way to Alaska last winter. It made it to central Alberta, where it had to be garaged (warmed up) and reviewed by a dealership. They turned around and headed south...

As much as I like modern diesel PU trucks, I'm avoiding them. My residences are in areas of the world where extreme cold is the norm. With today's required emission mechanisms, I'm worried they are not deep cold capable -- without mitigating modifications.

Last edited:
Please report back after enduring negative temps for days on end.
I live in the northwoods of Wisconsin. I'm not really concerned with it. Besides, we haven't had a "harsh" winter here (temp wise) in a number of years. The usual week of below 0 but nothing like it used to be. A dose of Lucas anti gel for the coldest days and it'll be just fine. We have diesels all over up here...as you know. At least around the greater Tomahawk/Minocqua metro!lol!

I live in the northwoods of Wisconsin. I'm not really concerned with it. Besides, we haven't had a "harsh" winter here (temp wise) in a number of years. The usual week of below 0 but nothing like it used to be. A dose of Lucas anti gel for the coldest days and it'll be just fine. We have diesels all over up here...as you know. At least around the greater Tomahawk/Minocqua metro!lol!
Yeah... Wisconsin isn't Alaska. Heck, even the more southern latitudes (like 61 degrees N (Anchorage area)) of Alaska doesn't get the really cold winters it used to back in the 90's. Though, there was a year not long ago where it was 6 to 8 weeks of straight below zero starting in late October and going through early to mid December. After that long, the forecasters start leaving off the "negative" part when mentioning the temps. :)

Back