AC/Delco Dexos 5w-30, 2011 Traverse 5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
On some engines, when the timing chain breaks it kills the engine (breaks valves and dents piston heads). At nearly 70K I would replace the timing chain, and put a better oil and filter in.

My Dad's dealer puts in Quaker State UD, not the GM house brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: volk06
Holy fuel dilution! That iron is a little concerning!

It doesn't show fuel dilution. I think you were looking at cSt @ 212°F.

No, i was not looking at the cTs. I don't need the exact fuel dilution number to tell me as there are several clues. This was one of GM's first DI engines known for high fuel. High maganese (comes from fuel), low viscosity, and 0 tbn are excellent indicators.

That iron spike is higher than mine was a few years before my timing chain issue.

What year Traverse is this? I going to guess an 09 and the timing chains are going to "stretch" in the future.

You included it in the title: " AC/Delco Dexos 5w-30, 2011 Traverse 5,000".

Your friend should take this oil analysis into the GM dealer and remind them of the TSB's out on this engine with timing chain issues. Warranty should be for 100,000 miles and GM needs to investigate what's going on - especially since they've been servicing it with their own approved oil and etc...

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
You included it in the title: " AC/Delco Dexos 5w-30, 2011 Traverse 5,000".

Your friend should take this oil analysis into the GM dealer and remind them of the TSB's out on this engine with timing chain issues. Warranty should be for 100,000 miles and GM needs to investigate what's going on - especially since they've been servicing it with their own approved oil and etc...

Do you really think the dealer would do something or just blow it off? I'm just curious is all, has anyone else done such a thing and had the dealer act on it in a positive way?

Yikes... iron horse
"O" TBN... they should have put "N/A".
Elevated Silicon
8.1 cSt

Something not good or bunged up UOA (happens).

wow... 140.

I actually thought this was a 2009-- and was going to say-- timing chain wear- thus the high iron.

But the timing chain issue has all but gone away with the 2010,2011,2012.
Ive only seen 2 reports of timing chain issues on the 2010's on the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave forums.

Im very surprised since I compare this-- to my 2010 Traverse.
I run my Valvoline Dino 5W-30 to 5000 miles- and Iron counts were
engine miles/ Iron count/ mile on oil

6,811 23 (5,154 miles)
12,314 20 (5,503 miles)
30,677 9 (5,103 miles)
40,578 17 (5,003 miles

Not a report I would be happy with, especially the viscosity loss and tbn. The oil got trashed.

Need a much more stout oil to combat the fuel, hold viscosity, and maybe your iron will normalize.

My wife and I just purchases a new 2013 Buick Enclave, which has the same drivetrain. Not sure if it's unique to that model year or the Buick line up, but ours has a catch can installed from the factory. It sits right behind the hood release point and is a nice shiney silver canister.

^^^no offense intended but that is a highly unbelievable story. I am anxiously awaiting a pic or something to prove me wrong!

The 2011 model 3.6 should have the updated programming on the olm. Also feel this is not real dexos approved oil, it just ain't right.

Is there a huge hole in the air intake or something?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This is not real dexos approved oil, it just ain't right.

Some dealers don't care much about the oil used because the manufacture will replace the worn-out parts (due to improper lubricant) under warranty.

Originally Posted By: dla
My wife and I just purchases a new 2013 Buick Enclave, which has the same drivetrain. Not sure if it's unique to that model year or the Buick line up, but ours has a catch can installed from the factory. It sits right behind the hood release point and is a nice shiney silver canister.

If its what I think youre referring to-- thats not a catchcan.
That is the AUX brake booster.
Only operated during a cold engine start..
You want to hear it--
take foot of brake.
start your car in the AM- and while its revving high-- step on brake.
You will hear a buzzing sound-- thats the AUX pump.

that shiny thing by the B in buick?
yup--- AUX brake pump.

(similar on Traverse and acadia)

D3R_2359-1200.jpg

engine-bay5.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back