AC/Delco Dexos 5w-30, 2011 Traverse 5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a report from a friends Traverse. They didn't have time to take it to the dealer to get the oil changed so they had me do it. This is the AC/Delco dexos oil that the dealer has been installing in their Traverse. This oil has 5k miles on it and had the AC PF 63 oil filter on it. The oil level was also low by about a qt. I don't know anything else about the vehicle other than they drive it a ton and it does a lot of country back road running since they live way out in the country.

This is also one of the Wix tests that I got off Amazon for $7 a while back. I picked up 5 of them at the time. My biggest complaint is that it takes forever to get the results. They keep telling me that the sample didn't make it to the lab when I call, but I know it did since I sent it Priority USPS and from here to Atlanta is only 400 miles.

Code:

OIL ACDelco Dexros 5w-30

MILES IN USE 5,000

MILES 59,622

SAMPLE TAKEN 07/4/13

ALUMINUM 10

CHROMIUM 3

IRON 140

COPPER 5

LEAD 0

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 50

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 20

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 5

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 40

SILICON 37

SODIUM 121

CALCIUM 1886

MAGNESIUM 20

PHOSPHORUS 767

ZINC 1077

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES

FLASHPOINT ºF

SUS VIS 210ºF

cSt @ 212ºF 8.1

Fuel%

Antifreeze% 0

Water% 0

TBN 0

I am VERY skeptical if they used a DEXOS Approved oil at the dealer in this case.

This is just some bulk oil, and it did a horrible job on a 5,000 mi OCI.

This is a very new car.

IMO, this is a great reason to buy your own oil and filters and change it yourself.

At least you know you are putting good stuff in the sump, not some discount bulk oil that you expect to be Synthetic and run it too long.

This is a very disappointing UOA. And low by 1 qt in 5,000 miles? I doubt this is DEXOS approved oil.

And the viscosity is way below the 30-grade minimum of 9.3.
The iron is very high for only 5k miles.
Can you get the lab to check for fuel dilution?

Is that TBN correct? 0?

I'll join Falken's skepticism that this wasn't dexos. 5000 miles also seems low as far as following the OLM goes.

I called the dealership up and asked them about the oil and they said that they used either AC/Delco dexos or Mobil 1. So I would think this was the dexos oil. No reason for them to lie, right?

Don't think I can get the lab to check for fuel dilution but will ask as well as ask if that was the correct TBN.

Has anyone else used one of these kits? If so did you get the same results in getting the results back super slow?

Was the M1 SM favor? If it was I COULD see iron that high as normal for the oil. If It was SN, It is rather high for the run, even a new engine
I have iron over 76PPM on M1 SM on a 5,000 mile run. It is just under 6ppm average with ANY other oil

Last edited:
Just tell your friends to top it up 1x per month. Good thing you changed the oil so you could see it was a quart low.

That Traverse is going to be an oil burner real soon.Might as well put a Saturn nameplate on it...

Didn't the 3.6L GM engines have timing chain issues? Could the high iron be from that?

Dealer might have also put in the wrong oil to save money.

Fe is way high; already noted.
Vis is too low; already noted.
Did anyone notice the Si; seems very high for only 5k miles ...

Being a Traverse, is this a 5.3L v-8 Vortec? Is this now DI?

I'm left wondering here, is this really a Dexos compliant lube? If so, this certainly does not speak well overall. One UOA is certainly not a reason to attach full confidence as to any causation, but this would surely make me skeptical. I'd want a few more UOAs to back this up before I made any predictions, but overall this isn't impressive. GM engines do seem to shed a bit more Fe than others at times, but this is cautionary for 5k miles. More data is needed before any sound conclusion can be made. Need to find out of the Si is an intake tract leak as the first thing, and then work from there.

The Traverse has the infamous 3.6l DI like in our Acadia. It is known for timing chain issues and the reason why GM recalibrated the OLM to work down to a shorter drain interval.

I'm thinking the chains are toast or shortly will be. They have been taking it to the Chevy dealer they purchased it from for oil changes every 5k miles. So all records are at the dealer and if there is any issues due to the oil then they should be covered.

These engines are also know to put out a good bit of oil into the intake tube. There are several on the Camaro forum that have installed catch cans.

I can't change the original post now and meant to correct it to dexos.

Last edited:
I noticed the silicon too. Has to be part of the wear equation. I don't know if he's really getting a Dexos oil or not but I wouldn't wait to find out I'd be looking for something else.

I don't know if anything can be done for the silicon with all the back road driving this is looking like severe service and shorter OCI's to me.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looking like severe service and shorter OCI's to me.

+1

Driving in very dusty conditions can take it's toll on everything - including the suspect timing chain.

Also suspect that this OCI had a lot more that "5,000" exact miles on it.

Recommend your neighbor use a higher quality oil and filter in the future and change the fluids sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back