AC Delco 457G cartridge filters do Extended OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the AC Delco 457G cartridge filters do 12,000 miles Extended OCI? I plan on using Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil on my 2.2l ecotec engines ( 2-2005 Saturn Vues 1st Gen). I figure I can always check the filter since all I have to do ,is pull the cartidge out and look at it. (Love the drop in filter design at the top of the engine with the Anti-Drainback Valve built into the engine).

Just wondering if it will go the distance. ( I perfer the Hengst-manufactured AC Delco over the Purolator PureONE filters)

I'd think it could do 7500 easy, maybe 10k given they tend to be changed out per the OLM on my vehicles. I just did my oil change this weekend and LOVED how easy it was to change the filter and was able to see some tiny metal shavings(from break in, car has only 4700 miles on it).

Quick question though, did yours come with a replacement O-Ring? Mine didn't(same filter Delco 457G).

I don't replace the O ring, it has caused leakage problems every time I did it. If you buy a new cap it comes with a new o ring attached to it, that is how I would replace the o ring if I needed to.

I would not run 12k miles on that filter, buy two and split the difference.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I'd think it could do 7500 easy, maybe 10k given they tend to be changed out per the OLM on my vehicles. I just did my oil change this weekend and LOVED how easy it was to change the filter and was able to see some tiny metal shavings(from break in, car has only 4700 miles on it).

Quick question though, did yours come with a replacement O-Ring? Mine didn't(same filter Delco 457G).

The Delco 457G do not come with rings. I have extra rings from the Purolator PureONE filters (I have never used them. I just keep them incase I need to replace the O ring on the cap, so far I have not replaced the original ring yet and both cars have 95,000 miles on them.)

I don't know how long you can use AC Delco cartridge filter, I had Hengst filter in my E430 for 12-13k miles and it still looked excellent at the time I replaced it. I re-used the Bosch cartridge filter at the last oil change, after carefully checking the filter media I didn't see any metal shavings nor any other debris. It will be checked every 3-4 months and if it is okay then it will be in service for 2x,xxx miles.

I think the oil filter efficiency is better after it is loaded with some debris, just like air filter.

Let me put the original question out another way.

Do you think Hengst cartidge filters can go 15,000 miles (including the Hengst-manufactured AC Delco)?

Personallly, I think they would. My OLM was looking like it was going to take my last OCI to 16000km or or about 10000M, so to me, another 5000M isn't that much of a stretch. I have never taken a filter out of the G5 that looked anywhere close to it's breaking point.

If you're determined to go that far but concerned about the filter, I sugest keeping one on hand and check it every few thousand miles. Pull it out and if you think it is done, put in the new one. If it looks ok, put it back and keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back