AC compressor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compressor is a two-piston York on a late 70's Ford.
I have the Ford spec part number but am wondering what would be a compatible oil. I'm sure there is nothing uncommon about this, I just don't know much about AC systems. I'll be recharging it with R12a.

I'm just putting this one back together as it wasn't hooked up when I bought the car. I found a bad hose and had it fixed.

AC Mineral oil. We get it @ Napa. Ester 100 will also work with R12.Are you aware that this compressor has a sump just like an engine? You check the level with a bent coat hanger after you remove one of the bolts in the center of the housing.

Last edited:
Put a new filter/dryer/accumulator on it, & don't be surprised if you need an expansion valve as well. I'd pull a vacuum on it for at least 24 hours if the system has been open any length of time.

Good call on staying with R12. +1 on the receiver dryer and IMO it is smart to do the expansion valve while youre at it.

Why did you have to open up the system? Might as well flush (properly) as many sections as you can, blast/dry them out, then replace as many o rings as you can too...

I pulled it after buying the car because it was disconnected anyways, and rebuilt the motor, painted the engine bay etc...
So I have no idea why it was disconnected (wire pulled on the compressor) but I found a rusty hose fitting and had it fixed.
So it's an unknown quantity. I drained all the old oil because, well, it's old. The car is a '78 Fairmont.
I have thought about replacing the drier, but since this is an old car I'm doing this on the cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back