AC Compressor Clutch Dumped on Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
There I was enjoying a drive in my 2007 Ram 2500 (the stickshift one), when I start hearing a sound like a marble rolling across a wood floor inside the cab. I got out and over/under to see if I could locate the source of the noise, but this is impossible, because apparently there's a diesel engine running under the hood.

Back in the cab, the noise is still there. I know that some accessory is on its way out, but I don't know which one at this point. Power steering feels normal. Voltage is normal. AC is working fine. Turning AC on or off makes no difference. Weird. Maybe tensioner pulley?

I head home to take the belt off and see what's going to feel scratchy, but never make it. Star hearing a banshee screech from under the hood, smoke starts pouring from underhood, and I shut down the engine and call AAA. Just for S&G, I start the engine again and look underhood to see what part has decided that resistance is actually not futile.

AC pulley is in full seizure and belt is smoking like like a forest fire right there. Nuts.

After getting home, I check the clutch and find that the center hub does rotate easily, but the pulley does not. I conclude it likely that the bearing between the compressor housing and pulley has failed. Fire up the trusty Jeep, and go get a new compressor clutch. Fortunately, this is a design that does not require extractors or special tools, because there is no room for any of that under there.

Get back and remove the clutch, which turns out to be a factory clutch. Results?

The bearing (center) was no longer existant. A few ball bearings and a shower of rust was all that came out of there. No idea how the coil (lower left) was even operating.

Anyone reading this thread who plans to assail Dodge/Ram quality should take note of this:

Really though, it's been down there a long time over a lot of miles (423k).

I'll say the AC definitely blows colder now.

I've had heard some seriously debatable information that Ford had some share in Cummins at one point or another. Perhaps when Dodge buys the engines from Cummins, the AC compressor is part of the package and through some strange negotiation the compressor or clutch is actually supplied by Ford?
confused2.gif

I can tell you that when I went to get my replacement clutch, I specified for a 2007 Ram with the Cummins 6.7, and the clutch they gave me was a perfect match and fit everywhere.

The part # there is a genuine Ford part # that identifies an AC compressor clutch.

Strange.

Well, it could be certainly that.
What I think happened is that Cummins made the mount on the engine to fit a Ford compressor. Its probably easier for Chrysler to just use a Ford compressor thats readily available, rather than spend the time R&D to roll their own that will fit there.
No idea.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Well, how many of them were put in Class 6 and 7 applications vs Dodge pickups. They probably all have the same Ford compressor as well.

Funny thing about Cummins and Cat engines in the bigger Fords, they don't catalog any engine parts. If someone comes to me with a Cummins or Cat in a F750, I can't sell them anything engine related. Our cataloging says it is all serviced only in a complete engine.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I've had heard some seriously debatable information that Ford had some share in Cummins at one point or another.

Ford was invested in a mutual fun that had some Cummins stock in it. Ford sold its shares of the mutual fund though.

And on a side note the beloved 5.9l Cummins that all the Dodge boys like isn't even a Cummins engine. It is actually a CDC engine and was designed for case tractors.

Car companies use each other's parts designs all the time. Lots of them are joint ventures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I am confused...that is a pic of a Ford part, but you were driving your Dodge?

It wouldn't be the first time Chrysler has used compressors also found on Ford, back in the 70's I remember working on a Plymouth with a 318 in trade school. It had a York unit with FoMoCo markings.
The York was a very good compressor. Tecumseh also made A/C compressors used on both way back.

You should be glad it failed. Remove all ac hardware and circuitry to reduce vehicle weight AND reduce parasitic drag, thereby increasing acceleration, mpg, power and torque.

Wn/Win!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
but this is impossible, because apparently there's a diesel engine running under the hood.

Anyone reading this thread who plans to assail Dodge/Ram quality should take note of this:

Really though, it's been down there a long time over a lot of miles (423k).

I'll say the AC definitely blows colder now.

Funny stuff right there, "but this is impossible because apparently there's is a diesel engine under the hood"
I wont give you heck about the Dodge, but will say what you took off could be the very best part on it... BaddaBing!
No worries, I'm balancing the scale here in my PowerStroke by running Valvoline currently.
Seriously, glad you gotter dun, and manufacturers do this all the time in many industries. There are a few Canon parts in my American made printers. I remember seeing the pentastar on more than a few parts in an AMC from long ago, as well as FoMoCo.

Originally Posted By: Olas
You should be glad it failed. Remove all ac hardware and circuitry to reduce vehicle weight AND reduce parasitic drag, thereby increasing acceleration, mpg, power and torque.

Wn/Win!

It'll take off a lot of weight because drivers and passengers will never occupy the truck either.
wink.gif

Parts sharing I was definitely aware of. It was just a little interesting to see a Ford clutch up in there. Just seems like an unlikely part to get farmed out to Ford.

But I guess my suspicions were correct that it was likely a Cummins thing, and not a Chrysler thing.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Why does your Dodge have a Ford AC compressor?

My GF's Dodge truck had a Denso compressor. Had to take it when it locked up at ~55K miles.

Ill bet money the Cummins engines come into the Dodge factory with the Compressor and serpentine belt attached. Some worker just pops the cover off the compressor manifold and hooks up the hoses that go to the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back