AC blows cold for 10-15 seconds then warm 2010 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife texted me yesterday that on her way to work her AC suddenly stopped blowing cold air. She had the system recharged at the Honda dealer maybe a month ago and all seemed good until yesterday.

I took a look at it when I got home. I'm not all that knowledgeable about AC systems but I figured out where the compressor is on this car (below the alternator) With the car parked and idling I turned on the AC and indeed, it blows cold for maybe 10-15 seconds and then warms up. I can hear and see the compressor running. It is making a chattering or clinking noise while it is running, I can see it spinning while on(?) I can repeat the cycle, turn off for a bit, back on, cold air for a few seconds then warm.

I called the dealer and explained what was happening. Whoever I talked to on the phone said it sounds like the compressor is shot but would have to bring it in. I almost fell over when she quoted 1800 to replace with a Honda Compressor and about 1000 for a non Honda part. I get that AC repairs are not cheap but 1800 seems excessive to me after pricing out what a compressor goes for

Now is the compressor and clutch 2 separate purchases? Based on my description any ideas on what the issue is? Again I'm sort of naive with AC issues but 1800 sounds like a hose job. I called a my local mechanic right as he was closing and said he would check in morning for pricing. Honda said the job is about an hour to do so it doesn't sound all that involved.

Ideas on what it could be and what realistically I should be looking at $$ wise?

Replace the AC main relay see what transpires. It about $7-$30 dependably if aftermarket, Honda part or revised Honda part. It’s in the fuse box.

Don’t belive the person on phone. It could be a lot of things and compressor is one of many.

Thanks, I'll more than likely drop it off at my mechanic tonight so he can get eyes on and make a determination on what it really is.

I'll add that the compressor keeps running even though it is blowing warm air. Would it keep running if it was the relay? It does make a bit of noise while it is running that is noticeable

Phone diagnosis is completely unreliable, though I suspect the quoted price is accurate, it may, or may not, have anything to do with your situation...

Sounds like low freon to me...get it checked before assuming anything else.

Last edited:
Should I be concerned with the clinking/chatter from the compressor while it's running? Freon was recharged maybe a month ago

The low side line from the evaporator to the compressor, the larger line going to the compressor, should be cold to the touch.

When compressor is turning but it does not make cold, pressure readings (both sides) are needed to diagnose. This sounds like a sticking expansion valve, which is easy to see on pressure readings.

If the refrigerant had leaked out, it would never get cold at all.

Abnormal pressures can cause a good compressor to make noises.

Last edited:
Not sure on the fans....I don't believe I recall them being on but I didn't have the ac on all that long. Hoping my guy can correctly diagnose and not have to visit dealer....I want to avoid them at all cost

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are the radiator cooling fans on?

That's a very good point. A way to differentiate that it is only a fan problem is that the A/C can still work when the car is moving, since that forces air through the condenser even without the fans.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why did you have to add Gas to the system?

Ummm what?

My mechanic called and said with after market compressor and some additional parts (I forgot what he said) would be about 1170

I asked another Honda Dealer and they quoted me 1200 including labor for a OEM replacement if it is indeed the compressor If it is the compressor are there other parts that should be changed out as well? I'm thinking that 1200 could go up quickly

Thoughts?

You're jumping the gun asking about compressor replacement. The problem with the system has not been identified yet.

A hunch.. They probably charged it, messed up the low port schrader valve, assumed it would stop hissing freon when it warmed up. But that didn't happen. lost too much. So now its cycling.

So much for the "pros" doing the AC work. I bet if OP did they recharge himself most of the replies would be chastising him for not bringing it in to a pro.

In any case, I would bring it back in to the dealer that performed the recharge. But dont agree to anything, just let them diagnose since they were the last ones to open the system up.

Thanks guys, makes sense.

I'm worried that no matter who I bring it to will go for the most expensive repair regardless
frown.gif

I just checked when I got home, fan runs and the tube that is supposed to be cold is cold but not ice cold like on my 2003 Accord. She said it works inand out on her 50 mile commute home

I think the compressor is working, issue somewhere else?

The air should be about as cold as the line is. If the air is coming out warm or hot even though the evaporator is cold, consider that the heater may not be turning off fully when the dial is on full cold. This was a common problem on older Hondas which had a coolant valve on the firewall.

Originally Posted By: mk378
The air should be about as cold as the line is. If the air is coming out warm or hot even though the evaporator is cold, consider that the heater may not be turning off fully when the dial is on full cold. This was a common problem on older Hondas which had a coolant valve on the firewall.

The tube that is supposed to be cold initially starts out very cold but the longer the AC is on the less chilly that tube becomes.

It is odd how it will be cool for a little bit, turn off for like 5 minutes, rinse, repeat.....cold air....slowly gets warm.......turn off...wait.....and so on and so on

You need pressure readings.

I'm not saying this is it, but when my car started doing exactly that, it was the expansion valve. It is about a $25 part though of course you have to remove and replace the refrigerant to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back