AC and fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Originally Posted By: opus1

My Malibu consistently gets over 30 mpg on the highway, let's say 32 as an exact number. If my using the AC means I'm going to get 31.5mpg, I can live with that. I think I'm worth it...
cool.gif

it's not going to be a 0.5mpg drop with AC, more like 2 to 2.5mpg

I respectfully beg to differ. I have personal business that takes me up to Racine, WI, several times a month, same route, roughly the same traffic patterns. I see little to no difference between my summer MPG with the AC on and spring/fall when I can get away with just the dash vents pulling in outside air. In fact, I see worse mileage in the winter.

And even if it was 2-2.5mpg, having had a vehicle with 4-60 air-conditioning (roll down the 4 windows and drive 60), I'd take a 5mpg hit on the highway just to save my hearing, never mind the comfort.
grin2.gif

In fact, I see worse mileage in the winter.

Well, to be fair here, we all do, and it has nothing to do with your A/C being switched off. Winter = more time needed to reach operating temp, winter gas blend, and denser air (more incoming oxygen = more gas being burned).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In fact, I see worse mileage in the winter.

Well, to be fair here, we all do, and it has nothing to do with your A/C being switched off. Winter = more time needed to reach operating temp, winter gas blend, and denser air (more incoming oxygen = more gas being burned).
Understood, and completely agree, plus throw in idling the car while I'm scraping the ice/snow off, when I get to the train station in the morning and when I'm waiting for the lot to clear out at night.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Wow, mine will sit there arms crossed if she's too cold. I have to ask her over and over if she's too cold to get an answer. When she won't answer I'll say well my last girlfriend used to tell me if she was too cold which immediately results in a bruise to my shoulder or worse...

Honestly, no one will use the dual climate control in my car. I thought it was the neatest thing because I tend to freeze people out in the summer and bake them in the winter but they would rather crack a window than push the red or the blue button on their side.

Does your car have butt warmers?

My previous car the wife always took charge of her side of the car and the butt warmer was constantly on.

Good point. It does but she will wait to see if I remember to turn it on for her. Maybe that's why she has recently become the ex.

I almost always have the windows rolled up regardless of outside temp and vehicle speed. If it's pleasant outside, I just run the vent w/ AC off.

Reason for this is to keep the interior dust free
cool.gif

I'm a windows down guy, always have been. Unless it's just scorching hot, then I'll throw the AC on for a while. It gets too stuffy with the windows up all the time recirculating the same air over and over again.

I'm a windows down guy, always have been. Unless it's just scorching hot, then I'll throw the AC on for a while. It gets too stuffy with the windows up all the time recirculating the same air over and over again.

And for the record, I have leadfoot disease so I quit worrying about mileage a while back.

With my 93 3 cylinder Geo Metro, when you turn the AC off, it's like making the jump to light speed on star wars! Likewise, when you turn the AC on, everything slows down quickly.

My daughter laughs at me when I turn the ac off to make it up a steep hill in a reasonable amount of time....

I can only asume that my MPG are being affected.

I don't want to sacrifice convenience and comfort to save maybe $3-5 every gas fill. It's funny when I see some people buying expensive luxury vehicles with expensive insurance then try to somehow offset the cost via A/C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back