AC and fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
I saw that show as well and you have it just backwards. Better MPG with windows down and AC off.

There were some flaws with their testing methods though... http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08/29/mythbusters-mistakes-in-ac-vs-windows-down-episode/

A lot has to do with speed as well. The higher your HWY speed, the more air resistance will those open windows cause.

In my car, driving at around 70 mph on the hwy, the use of A/C makes negligible impact on fuel economy, so I don't even think about it. I just use it when I need it. Sometimes it's nice to just open the window (or sunroof) to get a nice breeze though...

I really can't figure out who would want to drive on the highway [no matter what the temperature] at 70MPH with the windows down with all that wind noise..That would make for one miserable trip...Even if it was a short trip.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I really can't figure out who would want to drive on the highway [no matter what the temperature] at 70MPH with the windows down with all that wind noise..That would make for one miserable trip...Even if it was a short trip.

X2

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people I see driving with their windows down on the highway even with most cars now coming standard with AC.

For one, I can't stand it and clearly let my passengers know that my windows shall remain shut for the duration of the trip!

Mrs Minou sill has a hard time obeying the rule and prefers all windows open to the comfort and silence of AC. Go figure...

Originally Posted By: Minou

X2

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people I see driving with their windows down on the highway even with most cars now coming standard with AC.

For one, I can't stand it and clearly let my passengers know that my windows shall remain shut for the duration of the trip!

Mrs Minou sill has a hard time obeying the rule and prefers all windows open to the comfort and silence of AC. Go figure...
and X2 again.

My Malibu consistently gets over 30 mpg on the highway, let's say 32 as an exact number. If my using the AC means I'm going to get 31.5mpg, I can live with that. I think I'm worth it...
cool.gif

X2

I do it all the time, I just prefer the outside air and I actually like the outside noise. It helps me to enjoy the weather better
thumbsup2.gif
If it's scorching hot though, I will put the A/C on. But if it's only 70 or so, I'll put the windows down, even on the highway.

It's purely a comfort thing for me. Anything over 60 in the soft top Wrangler with half doors means you need ear plugs. I really think that if someone was employed to drive one, OSHA rules would apply.

One the 2.5 ..you can lose a few mph when it kicks in. Without cruise control, it isn't so bad for you, but people pacing you get annoyed as heck.

I dunno how bad it effects economy numbers.

I quite enjoy hearing the wind noise, and other things going on outside of my vehicle, and the smell of fresh air.

I often have my window part way down during the winter as well.

I am also the one with windows down on the highway and city, I prefer the fresh air. My commute doesn't have too much highway and the wind noise doesn't bother me.
On the long trips, however, it's always windows up and AC on, it's less tiring that way.

Last edited:
/quote]

You should do what I do and keep the windows in the locked out position all the time.

/quote]

You should do what I do and keep the windows in the locked out position all the time.

Yeah, I sometimes do it and should do it more often but she gets mad at me when I lock out the windows. She's like a baby; Open her window, raise it, lower it again... I can tolerate at low speeds with the AC off but otherwise, they're up. And don't you ever open my windows when it rains, oh my! People sometimes don't think that if you let water in the car, it creates humidity and ultimately will fog the windows. And I don't want water to get in the door's electrical switches, etc.

Originally Posted By: opus1

My Malibu consistently gets over 30 mpg on the highway, let's say 32 as an exact number. If my using the AC means I'm going to get 31.5mpg, I can live with that. I think I'm worth it...
cool.gif

it's not going to be a 0.5mpg drop with AC, more like 2 to 2.5mpg

Going down the highway I've heard having the windows down can waste more hp than running the AC. I assume this would vary from car to car. It makes sense though. I've run my car with the windows down at the track on accident a few times and lost 2-3mph in the mid to high 120mph range. It no doubt affects aerodynamics.

Around town, I assume windows down would get the best mileage hands down. I try and run it with the rear windows cracked and the sunroof flipped up until it gets too hot then I shut her down and run the AC.

Yeah, I sometimes do it and should do it more often but she gets mad at me when I lock out the windows. She's like a baby; Open her window, raise it, lower it again... I can tolerate at low speeds with the AC off but otherwise, they're up.

You two have some real control issues to work through...
whistle.gif

Window-open noise varies greatly between cars, speed, ambient wind, etc. The airflow around my Honda is surprisingly quiet and smooth with the driver's window down unless there is a crosswind from the left, when it starts to buffet and becomes very irritating. Moving air is a must for me, and I vastly prefer an open window to cold, clammy, recycled AC air that feels like it oozed out from a crypt.

/quote]

Yeah, I sometimes do it and should do it more often but she gets mad at me when I lock out the windows. She's like a baby; Open her window, raise it, lower it again...

This is how Quebecers are! Always complaining! lol Makes me laugh! We had the same problem! So what did I do? I bought a car with a dual climate zone! One for me, one for her!

Mine is set at 72F while my girlfriends side is at 78f only when I'm there because when I'm alone, its 72F everywhere. I told her its dual climate thats it. No windows down. If she doesn't like it, she can still take HER car.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
/quote]

Yeah, I sometimes do it and should do it more often but she gets mad at me when I lock out the windows. She's like a baby; Open her window, raise it, lower it again...

This is how Quebecers are! Always complaining! lol Makes me laugh! We had the same problem! So what did I do? I bought a car with a dual climate zone! One for me, one for her!

Mine is set at 72F while my girlfriends side is at 78f only when I'm there because when I'm alone, its 72F everywhere. I told her its dual climate thats it. No windows down. If she doesn't like it, she can still take HER car.

Wow, mine will sit there arms crossed if she's too cold. I have to ask her over and over if she's too cold to get an answer. When she won't answer I'll say well my last girlfriend used to tell me if she was too cold which immediately results in a bruise to my shoulder or worse...

Honestly, no one will use the dual climate control in my car. I thought it was the neatest thing because I tend to freeze people out in the summer and bake them in the winter but they would rather crack a window than push the red or the blue button on their side.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Wow, mine will sit there arms crossed if she's too cold. I have to ask her over and over if she's too cold to get an answer. When she won't answer I'll say well my last girlfriend used to tell me if she was too cold which immediately results in a bruise to my shoulder or worse...

Honestly, no one will use the dual climate control in my car. I thought it was the neatest thing because I tend to freeze people out in the summer and bake them in the winter but they would rather crack a window than push the red or the blue button on their side.

Does your car have butt warmers?

My previous car the wife always took charge of her side of the car and the butt warmer was constantly on.

X2

Unless it is very hot And humid, I prefer the fresh air to A/C and the noise is very dependent on the individual car.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
it's not going to be a 0.5mpg drop with AC, more like 2 to 2.5mpg

This really depends on a particular engine. On a very small engine it may in fact be 2 mpg. On a larger engine, the difference will be much smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back