Absolutely disgusting piece of "journalism"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Well, the article was pulled! W00t! Some very well written letters to the administrative staff seem to have served their purpose
smile.gif

That is a genuine shame.

If it were passed off as a news article then pulling it would have been the correct thing to do. However it was nothing more than an opinion piece-one which I happen to disagree with, but I believe the author has a right to express. I can't imagine living in Canada where you don't even have the right to your own opinion.

Yet I'm guessing you have no problem expressing your own opinion, and the idea of having a public piece you've written pulled because a few folks don't agree with you would also set you off. Correct?

You can't have it both ways.

He has the right to re-express the article on his own facebook page or his own website/blog/whatever if he so chooses. But the venue he chose to express it through has people it answers to and those people didn't enjoy the amount of backlash they received from it, so they removed it.

I would expect the same if I wrote an obviously offensive article and had it put up on a site I don't own.

We most certainly have the right to our own opinion up here and I am certain the same type of on-line media outlets exist and operate in the same manner south of the border. If you own the site, you can post whatever you want. However, if you don't, and your goal is to offend, marginalize and slander an entire group of people, it shouldn't be surprising if the people that own and operate the site you've posted on remove it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Quote:
this knuckle dragger really doesn't understand what idea, or ideas, the author was trying to advocate.

This one doesn't either. I didn't have the privilege of reading the original article (it had already been pulled), but based on the excerpt posted by OVERKILL, I had a hard time actually understanding the author's point. It seems that his or her goal was to fit as many five-dollar words into as short of a paragraph as possible.

I guess their mission was achieved: the knuckle-dragger in me just didn't "get" it.

I posted a 2nd link later in the thread that will provide you with Google's cached copy if you want to read it in its entirety.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Pablo
How is the Gadsen flag even remotely racist? I have a Navy Jack in my garage. A big nasty yellow one. If you even know .001% about me, you will know I'm not what this person is stereotyping certain Americans as...racist......that's funny! The rest of it all the usual non-nonsensical often repeated press points.

Ignorance fed by pop media will be the death of this country. But why would we except a random Canadian to really know anything about our country, and with that why would he/she speak from any point of authority or influence. It would be easy to let go, but many native born Americans are about as ignorant.

This clown does know more people die from heart disease, cancer, car accidents, poisoning, etc individually than guns?

Unfortunately the Gadsden Flag has been twisted into a anti-immigration symbol used by "Real Americans" to rally against immigrants, homosexuals, and liberals.

http://www.arizonabiteme.com/
http://mirroronamerica.blogspot.com/2010/03/gadsden-flag.html
http://thelibertydoll.com/2014/02/08/government-documents-72-types-potential-terrorists/

This really brings a tear to my eye thinking about this. I wore the colors on my combat uniform representing the United States and it has been censored into a tool of hate.

THIS^^^

It sadly has been co-opted into a symbol of EXTREME right wing ideology by those who have perverted the meaning of it's original use.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
The author strikes me as someone very young who like so many other young people (and some older people), just hasn't thought things through enough but feels emotional enough to write about it.

Once upon a time this might have been in a school essay during teenage years. Now it's on the internet and manages to create a small stir.

Strange that so many lose perspective on this. Calling it journalism when it clearly isn't is done so precisely to lump this piece of writing with the "mainstream media". Ironic that this is the same painting everyone / everything with the same brush that was originally abhorrent in the piece itself.

The author is not only a Canadian, but also an Asian immigrant to Canada. Avik Jain is an Indian name. In India the people generally do not own guns, and the people associate guns with crime. He went to Canada, with strict gun laws and grew up in an insular gun-free society.

He comes to visit America and is aghast at the prospect of our second amendment.

I think he hates our freedom.

+1 to both posts. The author is more than welcome to NOT come back to the area I live in, which he concluded was so backward. What an idiot and it's ironic that he thought he was looking at a bunch of idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back