Absolutely disgusting piece of "journalism"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well don't let haters take and use symbols either way. Again, just like the original post, only in the void created by ignorance can such things happen. It doesn't represent hate to me, nor should it to you.

The biteme thing is pretty funny though. Oh and supporting secure borders isn't racist either. Something Hispanics in this country are for, btw. Just like any other country.

"These people...those people."

STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS. Posting things like this makes people think all lefties think this way, and those who post wacky right-wing propaganda on mostly leftist sites probably incite the same kind of response: polarization...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Well don't let haters take and use symbols either way. Again, just like the original post, only in the void created by ignorance can such things happen. It doesn't represent hate to me, nor should it to you.

The biteme thing is pretty funny though. Oh and supporting secure borders isn't racist either. Something Hispanics in this country are for, btw. Just like any other country.

I agree with you point of view entirely. Just like just about everything in life some really low people in the moral and or intellectual gene pool has to twist policy into their advantage for extremism, hate, and because their skin tone is a light shade of white it makes them the "Real Americans" no other shades need to apply.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS. Posting things like this makes people think all lefties think this way, and those who post wacky right-wing propaganda on mostly leftist sites probably incite the same kind of response: polarization...

The problem is that some lefties DO think that way (hence the author of the linked article) just like there are some equally loony right-wingers. It is when they are able to post their opinions on news sites that it becomes an issue, even if the site isn't something like Fox or The Globe and Mail.

The NFA, likely like the NRA, is trolled constantly by people with an agenda, but those people don't have much of an audience. This guy does have an audience though, and that's why I linked it.

Perhaps it is still feeding a troll, but this troll has the potential to woo a captive audience and for that reason he is potentially dangerous to those who value their freedoms.

JMHO of course
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: dave1251
How is the Gadsen flag even remotely racist? I have a Navy Jack in my garage. A big nasty yellow one. If you even know .001% about me, you will know I'm not what this person is stereotyping certain Americans as...racist......that's funny! The rest of it all the usual non-nonsensical often repeated press points.

Ignorance fed by pop media will be the death of this country. But why would we except a random Canadian to really know anything about our country, and with that why would he/she speak from any point of authority or influence. It would be easy to let go, but many native born Americans are about as ignorant.

This clown does know more people die from heart disease, cancer, car accidents, poisoning, etc individually than guns?

Unfortunately the Gadsden Flag has been twisted into a anti-immigration symbol used by "Real Americans" to rally against immigrants, homosexuals, and liberals.

http://www.arizonabiteme.com/
http://mirroronamerica.blogspot.com/2010/03/gadsden-flag.html
http://thelibertydoll.com/2014/02/08/government-documents-72-types-potential-terrorists/

This really brings a tear to my eye thinking about this. I wore the colors on my combat uniform representing the United States and it has been censored into a tool of hate.

http://thelibertydoll.com/2014/02/08/government-documents-72-types-potential-terrorists/

I guess quite a few of us are on the terrorist watch list.

My personal view right now is a lack of leadership on the federal level has just about every agency running around like wet hens and scrambling for anything that could keep their position, funding, or promotion secure. The government is starting to see "boogeymen" in children's closets while the "JV team in Lakers uniforms" are executing Americans without reprisal.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The problem is that some lefties DO think that way (hence the author of the linked article) just like there are some equally loony right-wingers. It is when they are able to post their opinions on news sites that it becomes an issue, even if the site isn't something like Fox or The Globe and Mail.

The NFA, likely like the NRA, is trolled constantly by people with an agenda, but those people don't have much of an audience. This guy does have an audience though, and that's why I linked it.

Perhaps it is still feeding a troll, but this troll has the potential to woo a captive audience and for that reason he is potentially dangerous to those who value their freedoms.

JMHO of course
smile.gif

IMO there is nothing more dangerous then active participants influencing people with extreme left or right agendas.

JMHO of course
smile.gif

He may have an audience, and maybe they tend to agree with part or most of what he publishes, but that doesn't mean they believe everything he writes. There are, I'm sure, those who do, and who cares about those dim-wits? Not me, and less than those who would "die for" their 2nd amendment rights, but have never even read it.

IMO, receiving an eloquent response/retort, such as what you posted, will NOT make a difference, since you would hope some one intelligent enough to have his thoughts put into print would also know a good portion of both sides of a debate, and also how to get the most bang for his buck when it comes to stirring the pot, because stirring the pot is far more entertaining and profitable than letting things settle to their respective densities.

Last edited:
Well, the article was pulled! W00t! Some very well written letters to the administrative staff seem to have served their purpose
smile.gif

Well, the article was pulled! W00t! Some very well written letters to the administrative staff seem to have served their purpose
smile.gif

But wait.....my goal would never to have something pulled. As long as the genius and his "newspaper" are not found guilty of libel, then.....wait that's Canada. You guys are a bit different.

smile.gif

But wait.....my goal would never to have something pulled. As long as the genius and his "newspaper" are not found guilty of libel, then.....wait that's Canada. You guys are a bit different.

They are currently being pushed for a formal apology (and indication of the retraction, rather than just the page "vanishing") for ever publishing it. We'll see how that goes though....

The author strikes me as someone very young who like so many other young people (and some older people), just hasn't thought things through enough but feels emotional enough to write about it.

Once upon a time this might have been in a school essay during teenage years. Now it's on the internet and manages to create a small stir.

Strange that so many lose perspective on this. Calling it journalism when it clearly isn't is done so precisely to lump this piece of writing with the "mainstream media". Ironic that this is the same painting everyone / everything with the same brush that was originally abhorrent in the piece itself.

smile.gif

While I agree that the article is nothing more than a half baked dog dung pie I can't say as I agree with it being pulled. Free speech is free for everyone,including the "dim-wit" who wrote that nonsense.

However I do feel as though the editor,or whomever has the final say as to what gets printed,should have used better judgement and just not published the piece.
I believe in free speech and freedom of the press however that doesn't equate to any idiot being able to write up a bunch of nonsense and have it published.
Thanks for linking to that Overkill. Just goes to show we've got extreme political loonies up here as well and it's not just an American phenomenon.
It does sadden me though that the symbols/flags he referenced now stand for something negative to some people,but others still see them as proud symbols to which they fought,shed blood,and men died for.
Very sad that in only a generation or 2 once proud institutions become soiled by those whose ability/freedom to soil said institution was fought for and secured by soldiers who held their heads high,only to now see in their lifetimes the freedom that so many died for is being used to degrade the symbols they fought under.
Gratitude at its finest.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
The author strikes me as someone very young who like so many other young people (and some older people), just hasn't thought things through enough but feels emotional enough to write about it.

Once upon a time this might have been in a school essay during teenage years. Now it's on the internet and manages to create a small stir.

Strange that so many lose perspective on this. Calling it journalism when it clearly isn't is done so precisely to lump this piece of writing with the "mainstream media". Ironic that this is the same painting everyone / everything with the same brush that was originally abhorrent in the piece itself.

The author is not only a Canadian, but also an Asian immigrant to Canada. Avik Jain is an Indian name. In India the people generally do not own guns, and the people associate guns with crime. He went to Canada, with strict gun laws and grew up in an insular gun-free society.

He comes to visit America and is aghast at the prospect of our second amendment.

I think he hates our freedom.

I got that the author views himself as enlightened and on a higher moral and intellectual plane than us knuckle dragging Americans, but, after that, this knuckle dragger really doesn't understand what idea, or ideas, the author was trying to advocate.

In his third and fifth paragraphs, he seems to understand the necessity of firearms, while lamenting this same fact of which he takes recognition, and calling for additional, unspecified, regulation of that which he hates.

He seems perplexed and disillusioned that the real world, even Canada, is an imperfect place.

smile.gif

That is a genuine shame.

If it were passed off as a news article then pulling it would have been the correct thing to do. However it was nothing more than an opinion piece-one which I happen to disagree with, but I believe the author has a right to express. I can't imagine living in Canada where you don't even have the right to your own opinion.

Yet I'm guessing you have no problem expressing your own opinion, and the idea of having a public piece you've written pulled because a few folks don't agree with you would also set you off. Correct?

You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
this knuckle dragger really doesn't understand what idea, or ideas, the author was trying to advocate.

This one doesn't either. I didn't have the privilege of reading the original article (it had already been pulled), but based on the excerpt posted by OVERKILL, I had a hard time actually understanding the author's point. It seems that his or her goal was to fit as many five-dollar words into as short of a paragraph as possible.

I guess their mission was achieved: the knuckle-dragger in me just didn't "get" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back