ABS issues 2008 Saturn outlook XR!

I am having issues with the abs light and traction control shutting off along with 4w. My OBD reader said left front speed control sensor was bad, so I replaced it. It is still doing and saying that same thing, also I have done a whole system bleed on the brakes. My question is why after doing all this could the symptoms still be there?

Check the wiring to the sensor and it could also be the wheel bearing itself. They get old, they get some play and it sets off the sensor.
How many miles?

It has about 230,000 miles and the wiring seems fine. The wheel bearing doesn't have any play in it, I just don't want to keep chasing and replacing things and not solving the issue!

Check the wiring to the sensor and it could also be the wheel bearing itself. They get old, they get some play and it sets off the sensor.
How many miles?
It has about 230,000 miles and the wiring seems fine. The wheel bearing doesn't have any play in it, I just don't want to keep chasing and replacing things and not solving the issue!

230,000? My bet is on the bearing being bad. Even if you feel no play rolling down the road at 60-70MPH that sensor will throw a code if it detects any oddities. Did you actually check the wiring with a meter?

230,000? My bet is on the bearing being bad. Even if you feel no play rolling down the road at 60-70MPH that sensor will throw a code if it detects any oddities. Did you actually check the wiring with a meter?
I used my OBD reader if that's what you mean!

My OBD reader threw a code fore left front speed sensor so I replaced the sensor but it's still throwing the code!

No a multimeter on the wiring to the sensor. You have to read the harness that hooks up to the sensor. If you put a new one on and it didn't clear or it came back you have a wiring issue or bearing issue.

It is typical, with GM ABS, that if the bearing is going bad the sensor pickups an odd signals. If the sensor picks up those signals it will set an ABS light. If the wiring harness from the ECU/ECM to the sensor has an issue say a short or an open you also get the ABS light. The actual sensor is not always the problem.

What does the reluctor ring look like?

It's pretty rusty! No I haven't used a multimeter on it yet! The only thing I did notice is a little squeaking sound coming from the wheel going down the road!

I am having issues with the abs light and traction control shutting off along with 4w. My OBD reader said left front speed control sensor was bad, so I replaced it. It is still doing and saying that same thing, also I have done a whole system bleed on the brakes. My question is why after doing all this could the symptoms still be there?
Fixed:
My OBD reader said left front speed control sensor circuit was bad.

For all we know there is a bad connection, bad piece of wire, or issues on the axle part where the sensor is reading.

Tone-ring-broken-tooth.jpg

Quick peek at Rock Auto shows your Outlook uses hub/bearing assemblies with integral magnetic tone rings. These rings love to crack and fall off, causing false wheel speed readings.

Replace the hub, and you'll be good to go.

Back