about to do the first time UOA-questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! no posts for a while (i never posted that much anyway-more fun to sit back and read). i am doing my first analysis and ordered the Blackstone/Dyson kit on Friday. It got here today. No qualms about speed from Blackstone yet, but I did prepay. I would like to do this right and there really are no "instructions" enclosed-OK this shouldnt be rocket science "smeltboy", right?? however i do have two questions. the first is that i was sent TWO sample bottles (maybe i paid for two when i only asked for one. geez you also figure they could have return postage for $35). do TWO samples need to be sent in with each analysis??? if not, why two bottles?? also these bottles are PLASTIC. any concerns of these melting with HOT oil going in???
FYI, this is on my daily beater, 90 acura integra, 130K with a "soup" that i'll be somewhat embarassed to admit-unless it turns out good. most of it is Schaeffers, though. we'll see just how shot the motor might be, even though it still runs great. thanks.

You definitely only need to send in one sample. To make the sample more accurate, clean around the drain plug area well before taking it off, and don't open the sample bottle until the last second. Wait about 30 seconds after opening the drain plug before you collect the sample and then close up the bottle real quick. You also should make sure to drive your car a good 20-30min before draining the oil, and take the sample real soon after shutting it off so the oil is still hot.

And the most important thing of all, be sure to post the results here when you are done!
tongue.gif

[ April 28, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Don't leave the caps off of the sample bottles. Don't open them until you're ready to sample.

Drive the vehicle enough to get the oil warmed up to operating temperature. Have your stuff ready. Wipe the plug and surrounding pan area with a clean rag so as to avoid any contamination of the site with antifreeze or other adulterants from the engine.

Pop the plug. Let the oil run for a bit. Move the sample bottle into the oil stream and fill it. Don't burn yourself, but don't worry about the plastic. It won't melt at the temperature of oil. Cap it right away. If you have to wipe the bottle, use another clean rag. The laboratory measuring devices are very sensitive and will measure anything with which you contaminate the sample.

Seal it up and mail it.

Wait in suspense.

Post your results here.

You're hooked.

Hey Smeltjr, good to see you on the board again. You only need one bottle for the sample, don't know why they sent you two. Here's a quick summary for you:
- Take the sample bottle out of the container. Take the lid off of the sample bottle and hold under hot oil stream(about 15-20 seconds after you pull plug) until bottle is almost full. Wipe outide of bottle with clean paper towels only and then cap the bottle firmly.
- Let cool and then place in container with completed paperwork.
- Cap container and seal with return postage stickers.
- Blackstone kit takes 5 stamps to get it back for testing.
- Place in mail and in about 5 business days you will have your results emailed to you from Blackstone with a personal analysis and comments from Terry.

-Joe

Wow, that was fast. When I first pulled up this post, there were no responses. In the time it took me to type a response, Patman and YZF150 had posted. How's that for quick answers, three responses in 5 minutes
smile.gif
-Joe

no doubt, joee!! i expected at least a couple of hours for response. got done playing one kiddy game with the girls, and whammo! five responses. who the hell said that there was no service in america (ain't noone said anything about Canada, Patman)! thanks guys.

If you’re like Patman, you’ll go to the camera store and get some of those lint free tissues for cleaning lenses to do this part.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Wipe the plug and surrounding pan area with a clean rag so as to avoid any contamination of the site with antifreeze or other adulterants from the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
If you’re like Patman, you’ll go to the camera store and get some of those lint free tissues for cleaning lenses to do this part.
wink.gif

Oh sure, give Patman the super anal oil changer more ideas!
tongue.gif

[ April 29, 2003, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back