About Revenge And A Rice Cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife threw away my 3 cup National that I have used daily for the last 7 years. I was pretty upset about it. Like losing a pet! Came home to find it gone and rice in a bag in the microwave!

I endured this for one week and after work this morning I stopped at the local K-mart and bought the best rice cooker they had! Woot!

A 10 cup cooker by Oster. I would have liked to have gotten a Japanese rice cooker or another National but I decided to buy local even if it's made in China.

I know how to mass cook rice. I was dishwasher at a local Chinese joint during my "lost" years and one of my duties...well I took it apon myself to make both giant rice cookers at the place pump out some of the plumpest most beautiful rice! I even had a cooker in the back with Jasmine rice in it for the cook's lunch!

So I was running 3 giant rice cookers at once. Great machines. I picked up this habit, for better or worse, of eating rice with almost every meal while working at the Terrible China Diner...

And the wife had the audacity to throw away my baby cooker that I bought in Denver's "China Town"(not really a China town but it wishes it was).

The wife is gonna wake up and walk into the kitchen and see this giant white beast smoking and steaming and it will wink at her! Yes it will click and pop from cooking to warming and my wife will...well she'll start eating my rice! And she will do it wrong without properly fluffing and she will leave the plastic spoon in there. And she will leave the lid open too!

But alas I will come and see the rice carnage and demand satisfaction!

Originally Posted By: stang5
Make sure to bolt that thing down...

Oh she's handy with tools! She melts them when she's done too I guess...cause I never see them after she uses them for mass destruction like stuff!

Good luck with those non-Japanese made (brand, could be manufactured in China these days)for the inner lining in the pot seldom lasts beyond 1 yr before they start to "flake" off (just normal use) and suddenly becomes "sticky" again.

Went through 2 of those inner pot assemblies with mom's Blk and Decker 10 cup cooker. Since ours bought from wallymart came with 2 yr warranty, we called support twice and obtained 2 replacement pots over the course of 2 yrs time.

When this one wears out, we're going to throw it away and get a Japanese rice cooker again (our previous National one lasted in excess of 8+yrs when my ideiotic dad decided to scrape the non-stick linings off of the inner pot with a knife...and ruined it completely.

Will get a Tiger, Zojirushi or Panasonic rice cooker afterwards. Chinese made ones don't last unfortunately.

Q.

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
It stunk?
She (or you) could have washed it.

I had washed it after she complained about this drooling gooey white goo that ran over the side after she overfilled it. LOL that don't sound good but it was just bubbles and rice starch!

She just wanted it gone. And I just bought one that is so huge she will not be able to lift it if I keep it full of rice at all times!
grin.gif

I gotta' get one of those rice cookers.

I love rice.

Staple grain of Asia. Billions and billions of Asians can't be wrong.

I actually looked forward to the T-Rations in the Army when we had Meatball and Rice. I think it was the rice that I wanted.

Our original marriage rice cooker was still functioning but somehow we broke the glass viewing port on the lid....good excuse to buy a larger Panasonic. Works great.

Rice makes me a fat white guy. That and donuts.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
You could have gotten a pressure cooker and used that for the rice.
+1 on the pressure styles - especially the "fuzzy logic" computer controlled types. The Sanyo I have is absolutely fabulous, and blows my old Kenwood out of the ball park. Definitely check out the Sanyos and if you can pull it off, get one with a titanium bowl; VERY nice.

My rice cooker came from Japan and it still works after 30 years. I could not read the instructions but a friend told me how to use it. My family prefers their rice cooked in it.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
how many folks here like brown rice? We only buy brown rice... love it!
Yes; not the only variety in the house, but it is the one I cook most frequently.

how many folks here like brown rice? We only buy brown rice... love it!

Brown rice is prolly better for your blood sugar or so I hear...and I do buy it on occasion.

I cain't live without my steamed white rice. I just cain't. I guess I could switch to parboiled and cut the difference.

Uncle Ben FTW!

bought a 5 cup cheapie today... we'll see how long it goes. haven't checked the warrantee yet - $27!

bought a 5 cup cheapie today... we'll see how long it goes. haven't checked the warrantee yet - $27!

Bet you'll like it and I bet you it will last a long time...

This is my second "cheapie" and the first one was still going strong when the wife threw it away because she broke the lid. When that happened I went to an ethnic Thai store and bought my National that I miss so much!

Remember don't count on the pan measurements! Measure yourself via a kitchen cup measure device. A beaker is what you need!

Anyways let me know how many cups of water per cup of brown rice. I usually cheat and can tell by dipping my finger into the rice and water how much to add or sip off. It takes awhile to get that proficient but I eat rice everyday. I used to eat the KOKE Korean medium grain rice as it was really gooey if cooked right and one could grab a handful of rice and roll it into a ball and put the "rice balls" in a container and they would stay fresh even if you ate them cold. Awesome in the lunch pail with a slice of roast beef!
20.gif

So many different rice varieties if you look for them...so little time!
cheers3.gif

Try some Jasmine rice too! My wife's favorite but I swear it's a bit sweeter or something. It does smell wonderful though once in awhile especially with a pot of curry on the stove...

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah

Brown rice is prolly better for your blood sugar or so I hear...and I do buy it on occasion.

I cain't live without my steamed white rice. I just cain't. I guess I could switch to parboiled and cut the difference.

You might want to be aware that rice consumption has recently been linked to diabetes. Not sure if that is for all varieties or just white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back