About done with the local SnapOn truck

That is my exact thoughts too. He has told me over and over again that I'm one of his best paying customers and yet continues to raise my payment. Sadly no other tool trucks come around here. I think I'm gonna pay off my balance and call it quits for a while. Even at $50 a week I can stretch that pretty far getting stuff I want at Northern Tool, HF or Amazon.

That's likely best, Nothing worse than a dealer trying to fix his financial problems with your money.

Do they give cash discounts? I would see about that. If that isn’t an option, consider shopping elsewhere.

I’m guessing them wanting $80 a week from you is just because they know you’re good for paying on time and being hassle free.

If you have to pay $80 a week, your overall cost should be lower than the $25 a week though. This should all be determined prior to purchase. Hopefully they don’t try to change the terms after the sale.

As a guy with a snapon box we are not jealous ! We realized that BUY ONCE CRY ONCE. My pet peeves with harbor freight is nothing is on file ... They want me to save my receipt. That's insane in the times we are in
This escalated quickly. “We aren’t jealous because we can’t hold onto our receipts.” Nobody cares about quality, country of origin etc?

You can have HF email you your receipts now. I would assume those would be under your customer information for future issues of the need ever arises too. If not, saving them on a computer isn’t that big of an issue IMO.

Oh yeah, $4.49 at Harbor Freight or a whole set for $20.

Things have changed a lot during the last 10 years. Now I'm one click away from a full set of deep impact sockets that will last a homeowner/hobby mechanic a lifetime...for less than I paid for a single socket back then. Seems the tool truck vampires will die out soon.

Technology changes business models and the tool trucks haven't adapted. There was a time when you could literally buy a whole house from Sears but they didn't adapt.

Things have changed a lot during the last 10 years. Now I'm one click away from a full set of deep impact sockets that will last a homeowner/hobby mechanic a lifetime...for less than I paid for a single socket back then. Seems the tool truck vampires will die out soon.

Technology changes business models and the tool trucks haven't adapted. There was a time when you could literally buy a whole house from Sears but they didn't adapt.
They service a niche market and that niche market probably won't go away. It's basically the service and convenience that they're paying for. That's like saying because people can make coffee at home, Starbucks will go out of business. Meanwhile Starbucks opens more and more stores. Some people will tire of Starbucks and make their own or buy a cheaper brew but Starbucks won't be going out of business anytime soon.

This escalated quickly. “We aren’t jealous because we can’t hold onto our receipts.” Nobody cares about quality, country of origin etc?

You can have HF email you your receipts now. I would assume those would be under your customer information for future issues of the need ever arises too. If not, saving them on a computer isn’t that big of an issue IMO.
Sounds like your a little upset and aren't a professional tradesmen so you don't believe quality matters... So HVAC better have nice gauges and auto mechanics better have nice wrenches just like a lawyer has a nice suit ... Seems that you didn't like my thought but it's alright because all my tools that make me money are here and paid for . Harbor freight is fine for my boating adventures or other one time use things like ratchet straps but yes I'm going to pass on cheap junk for my money making

Well everyone I work with is lol. People crowd around it daily and look at it. They are very well built boxes. I don’t see a point to buy a fancy box. The box isn’t making you money. Fortunately I’ve never had to show a receipt for like warranty or anything. And I have Inside Track Club which they email it and print it so I’ll never lose it.
I'm not knocking your box please know that , I just don't mind spending alot on something I use daily to support my family

I'm not knocking your box please know that , I just don't mind spending alot on something I use daily to support my family
I understand that. I just can’t see spending that much on a box and that’s just me. Heck we have a tech who has worked for the company for nearly 30 years and uses a triple stack Craftsman box and has a few carts as well. Had the same box since he has started. If you like the fancy box that’s fine. One thing I do wish mine had was power that’s one pro I see to have the professional grade box vs something like mine. The cart has a place you can run a cord through but I move the cart on a daily basis and I don’t want my batteries in the top of my cart where sockets and stuff go.

I understand that. I just can’t see spending that much on a box and that’s just me. Heck we have a tech who has worked for the company for nearly 30 years and uses a triple stack Craftsman box and has a few carts as well. Had the same box since he has started. If you like the fancy box that’s fine. One thing I do wish mine had was power that’s one pro I see to have the professional grade box vs something like mine. The cart has a place you can run a cord through but I move the cart on a daily basis and I don’t want my batteries in the top of my cart where sockets and stuff go.
Mine ain't got power either that wasn't the fad when I bought mine just like the harbor freight boxes weren't full quality at that point. Im not very big on power anyway. Impact gun air. 1/4" batter impact and all rest is regular ole hand tools and ratchets here

Well everyone I work with is lol. People crowd around it daily and look at it. They are very well built boxes. I don’t see a point to buy a fancy box. The box isn’t making you money. Fortunately I’ve never had to show a receipt for like warranty or anything. And I have Inside Track Club which they email it and print it so I’ll never lose it.
All but one of the boxes in my shop are older than I am and all are Snapon. Dads Snapon box is 33 years old and I hit it with a truck once when I was a kid. I want to see a harbor freight box last that long and still have resale value.

But doesn't the truck come just once a week? Amazon also sells tools and you can sign up for Prime and get them in 2 days although lately you don't always get them in 2 days. Zoro has decent prices on Williams and they have coupon codes that might work on them. Amazon also carries Tekton and many other brands including Gearwrench.
My snapon dealer is never further away than a text or phone call. He passes my shop at least once a day. I have met him at his house at 9 on a saturday night because I was in a major bind. Hell, he has already given me the code to his garage and told me where to find the tool I need. Thats why I buy snapon

Do they give cash discounts? I would see about that. If that isn’t an option, consider shopping elsewhere.

I’m guessing them wanting $80 a week from you is just because they know you’re good for paying on time and being hassle free.

If you have to pay $80 a week, your overall cost should be lower than the $25 a week though. This should all be determined prior to purchase. Hopefully they don’t try to change the terms after the sale.

No interest is applied to Revolving Truck Accounts, But you do pay full Suggested Retail. Most dealers will discount tools when paying in full with cash.

A Snap on Extended Credit Account is another animal (A Shark to be exact), I've seen interest rates as high as 22%. You're much better off borrowing the money for a Bank/Credit Union then getting a Cash discount from the dealer.

No interest is applied to Revolving Truck Accounts, But you do pay full Suggested Retail. Most dealers will discount tools when paying in full with cash.

A Snap on Extended Credit Account is another animal (A Shark to be exact), I've seen interest rates as high as 22%. You're much better off borrowing the money for a Bank/Credit Union then getting a Cash discount from the dealer.
So what's the limit on revolving truck accounts? Probably varies by person but they must have some amount they start you off with and then go higher the longer you're a customer. But I can see it as one of those buy here pay here type car operations, offers easy credit terms at high prices to get the sale, guess it's better than layaway though.

It varies wildly, Most dealers don't like to open a RA on someone they don't know, I recently vouched for an employee so he can open a RA with the Cornwell & Snap-on dealers starting at $500 each.
I told my employee that if he had to leave before these accounts are paid....The tools will stay here until they're paid for OR you get the accounts transferred to different dealers. Not going to let him drag my name through the mud.

A lot of years ago my Snap On man actually wrote a letter of recommendation to a mortgage company for me. I really had no other credit than my truck account. It actually helped me get my first house.
Years later, the guy that replaced him asked me if I would let him use me to place a tool order. Apparently I had better credit than he did. I basically floated him a loan for about two weeks. My wife (then girlfriend) wasn't too thrilled. She only knew because she saw the 12,000 dollar receipt in my truck. Looking back, it probably wasn't the brightest thing to do but I got some really sweet deals for the remainder of our time doing business together.

All but one of the boxes in my shop are older than I am and all are Snapon. Dads Snapon box is 33 years old and I hit it with a truck once when I was a kid. I want to see a harbor freight box last that long and still have resale value.
I have no doubt that Snapon boxes are great quality, but you could probably total the vehicle that hit the Snapon box and replace it with HF cheaper than replacing the snapon box.

It varies wildly, Most dealers don't like to open a RA on someone they don't know, I recently vouched for an employee so he can open a RA with the Cornwell & Snap-on dealers starting at $500 each.
I told my employee that if he had to leave before these accounts are paid....The tools will stay here until they're paid for OR you get the accounts transferred to different dealers. Not going to let him drag my name through the mud.
My truck credit limit is 2500. It started at 1000 and within 6 months they raised me to 2500 without my asking because “I was such a good customer and one of the only ones that always pays on time”. I have never had more than $700-800 owed on the truck and always pay the big items off before buying anything else. As a matter of fact I tell them not to stop until I’m paid off, just keep running payments every week.

If you're looking for tool boxes, the truck guys (Snap On, Mac, MATCO etc.) take trade ins from mechanics who want bigger boxes. They then wheel and deal on the used stuff. I have a 700 pound Snap On bottom box that everyone used to call a 'taco cart", a big ten drawer MATCO top and an add-on from Caterpillar-actually an SK. I got everything used for about 40% of new. It looked good except for a little paint wear and has worked perfectly for years.

As I read through this thread, it appears that there are two different groups responding: the home mechanics and the people who make a living with tools. For group A, HF works. For group B, time is money. Tool trucks save time which means more money in the mechanics' pocket.

If you're looking for tool boxes, the truck guys (Snap On, Mac, MATCO etc.) take trade ins from mechanics who want bigger boxes. They then wheel and deal on the used stuff. I have a 700 pound Snap On bottom box that everyone used to call a 'taco cart", a big ten drawer MATCO top and an add-on from Caterpillar-actually an SK. I got everything used for about 40% of new. It looked good except for a little paint wear and has worked perfectly for years.

As I read through this thread, it appears that there are two different groups responding: the home mechanics and the people who make a living with tools. For group A, HF works. For group B, time is money. Tool trucks save time which means more money in the mechanics' pocket.
Also check out the bigger car swap meets. There are always tool trucks at the Pomona Swap Meet selling repo'd tools for cheap.

Back