About done with the local SnapOn truck

i never played around with credit but i never bought a box from them which is how a lot of people get into this mess. when i needed something it was paid in full and he took care of me

then somebody kicked his door in and stole 60k cash lol

I'm a semi mechanic. I do have to provide my own tools but not specialty tools like a battery tester. Did you need to buy a battery tester for your job?
Semi as in large truck OR semi-mechanic as in between shade tree and the self-taught Kilmer excellence?

Large truck. Went to Nashville Auto Diesel College, worked for a dump truck fleet after graduating and am now a semi mech at the worlds largest package delivery company.
I figured as much, just a bit of sarcasm. My dad was a long haul driver for decades and I saw what was involved with keeping them fueled/maintained and it is costly/involved at times, but this world as we know it would be lost without that type of transportation.

I would avoid snap on for the crazy high prices. Unless you NEED a special tool for a job I would never have a weekly payment to do my job. Cobalt , and triton and gearwrench are excellent. The harbor freight pro line stuff is also nice.
Basic 1/4 sockets and 3/8 deep and standard and a few extensions and ratchets. The gearwrench universal sockets are awesome. I have them in 3/8 and half drive. Metric only..
I was a professional mechanic for years and my toolbox was 1/ 4 what some folks had that changed oil and brake pads. Two ratchets in diff lengths and some normal sized sets are fine. Dont buy a ton of odd stuff. The milwaukee 3/8 ratchet with brushes in a bag with charger and battery was 99 bucks at home depot .
A mid size 3/8 impact electric milw and mid size 1/2 impact are great. I buy mostly impact 6 point sockets for everything. Do not over buy tools to impress or to fill out a toolbox.
My first snap on 4 drawer boxes were used and dented from a guys race trailer.
1500 bucks buys impacts and torque wrenches and sockets and pliers ..
I really like the gearwrench sets.

Stop this snap on stuff.

I don't see how mechanics do it. I needed a 27mm impact socket one day. There is a mom & pop auto repair place on my block, I happened to look down there and the snap on truck was there...comes every Friday. So I walked down there and he sold me one...for 27 bucks...this was over 10 years ago and I've never, or ever will, buy anything snap on again. I'm just a homeowner though.

I don't see how mechanics do it. I needed a 27mm impact socket one day. There is a mom & pop auto repair place on my block, I happened to look down there and the snap on truck was there...comes every Friday. So I walked down there and he sold me one...for 27 bucks...this was over 10 years ago and I've never, or ever will, buy anything snap on again. I'm just a homeowner though.
Oh yeah, $4.49 at Harbor Freight or a whole set for $20.

I was a diesel mechanic for thirty years and I can assure you that Snap-On has something called time/price differential. It's how they got away with selling you tools and waiting weeks or months to get the money. I dealt with more than one dealer who took less for a tool if I paid cash up front.
Also, you can find Snap-On industrial tools on line. The finish may be different but the price is a lot less painful. If you break an industrial tool don't expect the truck guy to be very helpful.

Most of my reason for buying SnapOn is the fact that he comes to my workplace. I live/work in a town of 1600 people and the only place to buy tools is Oreilly's. I am an hour from the closest Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. With the way things are going I'll have to bite the bullet and start going out to buy tools or get them off the internet and wait a week. I should have put this in the first post, I'm not really into SnapOn it's just easy. I do have a few tools that I really like off the truck but my boxes are US General and I own lots of Gearwrench, HF, Sunex, etc.

Most of my reason for buying SnapOn is the fact that he comes to my workplace. I live/work in a town of 1600 people and the only place to buy tools is Oreilly's. I am an hour from the closest Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. With the way things are going I'll have to bite the bullet and start going out to buy tools or get them off the internet and wait a week. I should have put this in the first post, I'm not really into SnapOn it's just easy. I do have a few tools that I really like off the truck but my boxes are US General and I own lots of Gearwrench, HF, Sunex, etc.
But doesn't the truck come just once a week? Amazon also sells tools and you can sign up for Prime and get them in 2 days although lately you don't always get them in 2 days. Zoro has decent prices on Williams and they have coupon codes that might work on them. Amazon also carries Tekton and many other brands including Gearwrench.

Nothing wrong with that. All my coworkers are jealous of my Harbor Freight cart cause it’s deeper than their Snap-on by 2 inches lol 😂. It’s the new 34 inch by 22 inch. Then I have my 44 inch top and bottom then the side add on too. Heck I even have plenty of tools from them too but they are also close to me. For ratchets though now that I’ve used Snap-on I don’t want to use anything else. Probably going to pick up a new one tomorrow. Ratchets and pliers I don’t want from anyone else except Snap-on.

Nothing wrong with that. All my coworkers are jealous of my Harbor Freight cart cause it’s deeper than their Snap-on by 2 inches lol 😂. It’s the new 34 inch by 22 inch. Then I have my 44 inch top and bottom then the side add on too. Heck I even have plenty of tools from them too but they are also close to me. For ratchets though now that I’ve used Snap-on I don’t want to use anything else. Probably going to pick up a new one tomorrow. Ratchets and pliers I don’t want from anyone else except Snap-on.
As a guy with a snapon box we are not jealous ! We realized that BUY ONCE CRY ONCE. My pet peeves with harbor freight is nothing is on file ... They want me to save my receipt. That's insane in the times we are in

I have been doing business for several years with our SnapOn truck. Never bought anything huge but have carried a balance of $600-700 on the truck at times. I always told them not to worry about calling me to run a payment and they just email a receipt. My payments started at $25 a week, then I bought a battery tester and they begged me to go to $50 a week. My balance is always paid off before I buy something else and often I pay in advance for credit if there’s nothing I need. Last week I bought a torque wrench and a neck light and they wouldn’t finish the sale unless I agreed to $80 a week. I know for a fact that other guys owe more from other shops and are doing the $25 a week thing.

Anyone else keep getting their payments jacked up? To add insult to injury with these guys when I order something they don’t have it always takes 4-6 weeks to come in and it’s always some excuse that it’s back ordered, shipping delayed, etc.

That's usually a sign your dealer is having financial problems, My RA (Truck) account payment has been $20 for the last 30 years & it's been above $3,000 a few times.....But he knows if it's above $1,000 I'll aggressively pay it off so he doesn't have to jack with my minimum payment amount.

I've worked outside my dealers route a few times, Whenever I tried to carry my RA over to that dealer they would always try to jack up my minimum.....Told them I'll just pay my original dealer off & do without SO tools! Though I just had my dealer come to my house when I needed something (My house was within his route).

My dealer has a well stocked truck & turns over his inventory regularly, Though some thing are on national backorder right now. If your guys truck is sparse of tools......He's likely on Credit Hold with Corporate.

As a guy with a snapon box we are not jealous ! We realized that BUY ONCE CRY ONCE. My pet peeves with harbor freight is nothing is on file ... They want me to save my receipt. That's insane in the times we are in
Well everyone I work with is lol. People crowd around it daily and look at it. They are very well built boxes. I don’t see a point to buy a fancy box. The box isn’t making you money. Fortunately I’ve never had to show a receipt for like warranty or anything. And I have Inside Track Club which they email it and print it so I’ll never lose it.

That's usually a sign your dealer is having financial problems, My RA (Truck) account payment has been $20 for the last 30 years & it's been above $3,000 a few times.....But he knows if it's above $1,000 I'll aggressively pay it off so he doesn't have to jack with my minimum payment amount.

I've worked outside my dealers route a few times, Whenever I tried to carry my RA over to that dealer they would always try to jack up my minimum.....Told them I'll just pay my original dealer off & do without SO tools! Though I just had my dealer come to my house when I needed something (My house was within his route).

My dealer has a well stocked truck & turns over his inventory regularly, Though some thing are on national backorder right now. If your guys truck is sparse of tools......He's likely on Credit Hold with Corporate.
That is my exact thoughts too. He has told me over and over again that I'm one of his best paying customers and yet continues to raise my payment. Sadly no other tool trucks come around here. I think I'm gonna pay off my balance and call it quits for a while. Even at $50 a week I can stretch that pretty far getting stuff I want at Northern Tool, HF or Amazon.

I stopped using Snap on years ago as prices rose, warranty service declined and other tool makers filled the spot.

I know I may be laughed out of here but I have been purchasing the ICON brand at HF and they are an extremely good tool. I also have their huge toolbox that was 11k but way less than a Snap On box. I can get warranty same day at HF and without fuss the Snap on guy was giving me.

Back