About done with the local SnapOn truck

I have been doing business for several years with our SnapOn truck. Never bought anything huge but have carried a balance of $600-700 on the truck at times. I always told them not to worry about calling me to run a payment and they just email a receipt. My payments started at $25 a week, then I bought a battery tester and they begged me to go to $50 a week. My balance is always paid off before I buy something else and often I pay in advance for credit if there’s nothing I need. Last week I bought a torque wrench and a neck light and they wouldn’t finish the sale unless I agreed to $80 a week. I know for a fact that other guys owe more from other shops and are doing the $25 a week thing.

Anyone else keep getting their payments jacked up? To add insult to injury with these guys when I order something they don’t have it always takes 4-6 weeks to come in and it’s always some excuse that it’s back ordered, shipping delayed, etc.

What does it cost to carry that balance?

Do you lose something by not carrying a balance?

Not sure what tester you bought, but the Solar 1000 CCA rated carbon pile one I bought off Amazon is as good as any I’ve used. $58 from the “used” (AKA returned/shipping damaged) Warehouse!

I'm a semi mechanic. I do have to provide my own tools but not specialty tools like a battery tester. Did you need to buy a battery tester for your job?
Me too when I was gainfully employed. A while ago one of my friends asked Me to do a rear end for his Jeep I though yeah. Then I went through the procedure in my head and realized I didn't have the tools and equipment to do the job as it should be done. A well equipped shops is the carts meow.

What does it cost to carry that balance?

Do you lose something by not carrying a balance?
I'm a semi mechanic. I do have to provide my own tools but not specialty tools like a battery tester. Did you need to buy a battery tester for your job?
On the truck accounts there is no cost associated with carry a balance. Nothing would be lost as far as I know.

@skyactiv thats kind of a gray area where I work. The correct answer is no I did not have to provide it. I do however maintain a large fleet of equipment for our farm and wanted a good tester. I wanted the Bluetooth one due to the fact that with forklifts and skidsteers you can’t be near the battery and at the controls at the same time. This unit runs starting and charging system tests while you sit in the drivers seat. I work by myself in the shop so having a helper isn’t possible.

Reactions: Y_K
My payment has been $40 since day one. I also only have a truck account no credit account. My Snap-on guy appreciates that I always pay a lot extra than the $40. I normally pay $240 and my balance typically stays around the same because I always buy new stuff lol. Not once has he mentioned raising my payment. If he does I’ll say see ya. Unfortunately that’s the only tool truck we have at work though since they ran the Matco guy off. Every Tuesday I come home with a charge on my bank account and my mom is like what did you buy this time cause she knows I’m a tool buying fool lol. She says no judgement on how much you spend just asking cause I like seeing all the shiny stuff you buy.

It depends on the dealer and your history.. My dealer is awesome and has been plenty successful, and I've always paid plenty and never miss. I pretty much set what I want to pay..

I could see if the dealer was on thin financial ice and had a bunch of deadbeats not paying... He may be trying to keep himself afloat off the good paying customers.

I used to do $20/wk, but that was the mid 1980s I was about 19 when I started. That lasted a few years and got out of the type of work. At present time $25/wk would seem low. You never know maybe something has changed on his end and he can't afford to extend credit as long as he once was able. I mean, currently, everywhere I turn I'm putting out more money for less in return. I don't know how much the snap on man has to sell to cover his weekly expenses, pay him self, and float what is basically a free loan, but I'm sure his costs are up. Anyone care speculate?

Tool dealers generally want a 5-10 week turn on their money, meaning a 500 dollar purchase would be 50-100 bucks a week depending on the dealer. That said, I am on the 50 dollar a week for life plan with my snapon dealer. If I buy something big I generally wait until the balance is down unless I need it now and ask what we need to make the payment to make it work. Thats the truck account, also have an EC account for the business for equipment purchases so real big ticket stuff goes on that.

On the truck accounts there is no cost associated with carry a balance. Nothing would be lost as far as I know.

@skyactiv thats kind of a gray area where I work. The correct answer is no I did not have to provide it. I do however maintain a large fleet of equipment for our farm and wanted a good tester. I wanted the Bluetooth one due to the fact that with forklifts and skidsteers you can’t be near the battery and at the controls at the same time. This unit runs starting and charging system tests while you sit in the drivers seat. I work by myself in the shop so having a helper isn’t possible.
Unless they are just loaning money out of the kindness of their hearts it is costing you something. Ask what the cash price is instead of the account price.

Unless they are just loaning money out of the kindness of their hearts it is costing you something. Ask what the cash price is instead of the account price.
On our truck the price is the same. You hand him cash which I did when I started or you put it on truck credit it doesn’t matter.

Screenshot_20211203-193403.jpg

Back