? about audi oil and change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I recently became aware of this 10,000 mile service interval on my girlfriend's audi and dont really understand. I spoke with the guy at the parts counter at the dealership where the first service was being done and he told me that for the free service they just use basic oil, but have the castrol syntec available only if you pay for it. How can they be using regular dino oil and still recommending letting it go for 10,000 miles? We also discuessed weight recommendations, but I figured the forum would be less biased... He didnt really answer my question about how it comes from the factory, but I figured using Mobil 1 0W-40 would be the best choice from what I've read. Any recommendations for the 1.8T engine?

What does the owner's manual say? We've seen cases where the dealership was using oil of lower quality than that required by the owner's manual. In any case, about the only way to run conventional oil for 10k is with a really big sump.

Unless you find other info, look for an oil with the European ACEA A3 rating for that turbo-engine. This will be Mobil 1 0W-40 or 15W-50, or the German import Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (not the U. S. stuff), or Schaeffer's, or Redline, or whatever you can find.

Ken

[ July 12, 2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Did some research for you...the recommended oil for the 1.8T engine is either a 5W-30 or 0W-30 and I would definitely go with a synthetic...your post brings up a point that I believe you can see inferred in posts on this site. Although oil is the lifeblood of your engine, most people in the automotive business know very little about it. I think, for the most part, they believe "oil is oil" and as long as you get the viscosity and API rating right...I see more and more in my personal dealings with auto people that they just don't know, don't care, or both. I also know there are exceptions to this but those exceptions seem to be few and far between.

I got a '96 A4 2.8 12v. I stick with a full synthetic oil (M1 0W-40) that meets VW 502.00 (replaces the older VW 500.00 that is recommended in my manual). I'm pretty sure your turbo motor requires the same oil.

Weights that should work in the 1.8T engine:

5W-30
5W-40
10W-30
10W-40

My stealer wanted to use 20W-50 dino during the free inlcuded maintenance period, so I brought my own synthetic. Since your girlfriend's 1.8T has a turbo motor, which is harder on oil than a normally aspirated engine, she should use only a synthetic.

/\ /\

Forgot to add: 0W-40 should also be okay. I know from another Audi forum that it's very popular with 1.8T owners. If you search this site for UOA's, then you'll also find some results on a few different oils in the 1.8T.
cool.gif

M...man,

Interesting you should refer to your "stealer"...while I was researching this question on the net, read a thread by a guy who caught his "stealer" attempting to use the "stealers" oil and keep the M1 the owner brought for the change. The owner said he watched the guy the whole time so he new exactly what the guy was trying to do.

offtopic.gif

I bet it happens that a mechanic pulls the old switcheroo on a customer. I would hope it doesn't happen often, but who can you trust anymore?
rolleyes.gif

Reminds me of the tire place that boldly claims on a sign above the counter that they hand-torque all wheel bolts/lug nuts. Great, right? Next thing I see is the 17 year old kid with an impact wrench and a torque stick. When I complain I'm being told that's considered "hand-torqued"...
mad.gif

1.8T or V6?

The TDI is every 10k miles, but only synthetic is ever used.

I sure wouldn't go 10k miles between changes using dino oil. Audi better wake up quick or they'll be in a heap of trouble just like Mercedes and Toyota are. They have extended oil changes but never told customers to only use synthetic oil. Lots of engine failures out there due to sludged up motors.

wow... 6 replies in an hour and a half... thanks guys! Thats pretty much what I figured but I wanted some other opinions. I've had enough bad experiences with dealers and repair shops that I dont really trust anyone anymore. I'll probably just end up letting them do their thing at the service interval for free and so they have record of whatever else they check, then do the oil change myself. Hey, at least when they do their service I'll get the new filter for free.

quote:

Hey, at least when they do their service I'll get the new filter for free.

Ideally, yes.

I hate to be a cynic, but just a few days ago a guy on an Audi forum told us that the dealer didn't change the filter, and now he wonders if they even used the oil he gave them. Quite frankly, I don't care for "free maintenance." It sounds too good.

Yannis,
VW506.01 and VW506.00 are for diesel engines with Longlife Service, and VW503.00 is for gas engines with Longlife Service. I'm not even sure if the Longlife Service feature is available in the US. It requires the use of special oils, none of which I see in the US, and it requires the car to be equippped with a flexible oil life monitoring system.

hrdjeepzj's girlfriend has a 1.8T turbocharged gas engine, which as far as I know does not use VW503.00 - unless the requirements have changed. The 1.8T calls as far as I know for VW502.00. VW503.00 must not be used in engines that require VW502.00 or VW503.01. VW503.00 is low HT/HS.

"...or they'll be in a heap of trouble just like Toyota and Mercedes are."
TexasTDI
lol.gif

What goes here? Is this a reference to the Mercedes oil change interval system vis-a-vis the newer cars? Or just a slam at Mercedes in general?
dunno.gif

What about that spectacular GM system?
shocked.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
What goes here? Is this a reference to the Mercedes oil change interval system vis-a-vis the newer cars? Or just a slam at Mercedes in general?
dunno.gif

It's about MB having to replace engines at their cost because they never said only use synthetic oil. Most people used dino oil, yet went 7500, 10k miles, and only changed the oil when the computer said to.

Same for Toyota.

And if GM is doing the same thing, same for them too.

Car manfacturers should have enough common sence that a dino oil simply is not going to last for extended drain intervals. They build cars with smart computers that tell people when they should change it. In an attempt to extend oil drain intervals. Yet don't tell people only synthetic oil should be used because only synthetic oil can go for extended drain intervals.

I'm going to suggest that you take a look in the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) forums. There are several very very nice analysis in there with Audi turbocharged engines. They were 2.7T engines but I believe you'd get similar results in your 4 cylinder.

Definitely don't use mineral in that thing. Look at the Mobil 0W-40, Amsoil 0W-30, Castrol 0W-30 (German stuff).

My Golf TDI came with two years worth of free scheduled maintenance and 4.5 years later my little baby has not rolled a tread into a dealer service bay. I refuse to contribute to their ineptness even when it's free.

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
Use whatever the manual demands .I think Moribundman is right.

i just found this..happy reading
grin.gif

1. Engine oil recommendations, model year 2000 onward (vehicles from 05/99) with variable service intervals (New Technology - Long Life Service engine oil recommendations based on flexible oil change periods for selective models): petrol engines, EO VWG 503.00; high performance petrol engines EO VWG 503.01; diesel engines, EO VWG 506.00 (except unit injector engines, EO VWG 506.01), . Only vehicles identified appropriately by VIN plate markings and/or dealer service label for Variable Service are capable of operating to the maximum change intervals listed and must use oils approved to these standards. These oils must not be used in any pre model year 2000 engines

2. Engine oil recommendations, model year 2000 onward with fixed service intervals: may use oil recommendations from 1/97 (except unit injector diesel engines); in exceptional cases A2/A3 may be used for petrol engines or B3/B4 for diesel engines. Unit injector diesel engines must use EO VWG 505.01. Products currently approved to EO VWG 505.01 and also meeting EO VWG 500.00 and 505.00 are recommended for all petrol or diesel engines from model year 2000 without AVS. EO VWG 503.00 may also be used for petrol engines, EO VWG 506.00 may be used for diesel engines (except unit injector)

3. Engine oil recommendations, models from1/97: Petrol engines; EO VWG 501.01/502.00 1/97 or high lubricity oils EO VWG 500.00 1/97. Diesel engines (except unit injector); EO VWG 505.00 1/97. Also EO VWG 501.01/502.00 1/97 in combination with EO VWG 505.00 1/97. High lubricity oils EO VWG 500.00 1/97 in combination with EO VWG 505.00 1/97 may also be used. For all engines the equivalent API or ACEA grades are suitable for top-up if approved oils are unavailable

4. Engine oil recommendations pre 1/97: EO VWG 501.01 for petrol engines and naturally aspirated diesels; EO VWG 505.00 for all diesels including turbocharged models. Combinations of EO VWG 501.01 and EO VWG 505.00, covered by a 'low ash' version of EO VWG 505.00, are recommended for all engines. Viscosity options: temperate climates, 15W-40/15W-50/ 20W-40/20W-50; below 15°C, 10W-30/10W-40. SF or SG oils may be used for petrol engines if the approved types are unavailable. CD oils are approved for diesel engines (top-up only for turbodiesels)

5. Engine oil viscosity options from 1/97 : using EO VWG 502.00 1/97, 0W-X/5W-X/10W-X; using EO VWG 500.00 1/97 high lubricity oils, -30°C to 35°C, 5W-30/5W-40/10W-30/10W-40; using EOV VWG 501.01/505.00; -30°C to 35°C, 5W-50/10W-50/10W-60; -30°C to 15°C, 5W-30/5W-40; -15°C to 15°C, 10W-30/10W-40; -15°C to 40°C, 15W-40/15W-50, 20W-40/20W-50. Additional for model year 2000 onward only; using EO VWG 503.00/503.01/505.01/506.00/506.01, currently approved products are either 0W-X, 5W-X or 10W-X according to requirements of each specification (must not be used in earlier models) Engine oil recommendations, model year 2000 onward with fixed service intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back