About a half cup of CVT fluid in my Jeep 42RE

I needed a bit of ATF +4 in my Jeep, I picked up some bottles of Valvoline and accidentally got a bottle.of CVT fluid, I use a on off valve hose thingy for adding trans fluid.
I noticed it was clear and closed the valve, I estimate I got about a half a cup in there.

How screwed is my trans if it isn't dumped right away, I had to park the Jeep so it did get mixed, I was planning on dropping the pan soon, I guess sooner now...heh

Thanks for the replies guys, I just went and compared the bottles for levels against 2 full +4's and I could barely tell the difference, so it's prolly even less then half a cup.
I panicked so hard when I seen the clear fluid....
Dropping the pan Saturday, the paranoia is killing me....

Gonna keep the bottle in the garage with a red X on it, so when my brother comes over to steal fluid he'll grab it.....

Last edited:
This type of thread is popping up all over place. Same "I thought I grabbed the right fluid at the store and didn't notice that it was the wrong fluid" after adding ounces/pints/quarts/gallons to "insert mechanical component here".

You need a complete ATF exchange with the correct fluid to teach you a lesson to read the bottle. After the complete fluid exchange, via the ATF cooler lines, you need to drop the pan and replace the filters. Once its all buttoned up, with new filters/fluids/pan gasket/cleaned magnets/whatever... and all torque correctly, while topped off at correct temp for ATF level checks, you can go on with your life.

If you don't, your transmission will blow, your engine will seize, your radio will quit working, your tires will wobble, you won't win any lottery scratch tickets, all future beer/soda purchases will be flat, and pigeons will forever poop on your vehicle.

Castrol does sell a universal ATF/CVTF. CVTFs are designed for metal on metal friction to prevent the belt/chain from slipping on the variator pulleys.

CVTs also have frictions too, Toyota uses a multi-plate clutch and so does Honda on their 2nd generation model.

I needed a bit of ATF +4 in my Jeep, I picked up some bottles of Valvoline and accidentally got a bottle.of CVT fluid, I use a on off valve hose thingy for adding trans fluid.
I noticed it was clear and closed the valve, I estimate I got about a half a cup in there.

How screwed is my trans if it isn't dumped right away, I had to park the Jeep so it did get mixed, I was planning on dropping the pan soon, I guess sooner now...heh
Frankly it would not ruin the tranny immediately if you put a full quart in. You could at the very least change it next holiday and be just fine.

4oz ? Just drive until the next change is due.

Seems like much about nothing: CVT fluid has very few friction modifiers, it's mostly there for hydraulics and lubrication. Given a 42RE holds what... 12 quarts total? Hardly something to fret over.

Back