Abandoning the Fumoto Valve Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was excited that I had gotten the wife to budget $100 for me to purchase three Fumoto valves for our vehicles. I surely wanted to be able to drain oil without getting it all over my hands.

The more I studied the idea, though, the more I decided it might not work. The Fumoto valve would be a convenient part if the oil pan drain hole is out in the open and not recessed in any way. All of Fumoto's promotional pics show the drain hole out by itself with no blockages or impediments.

But on all three of our vehicles, the drain pan and surrounding bottom shields are constructed to prohibit or discourage installation and tightening of a Fumoto.

I don't get much discretionary money each month and my wife especially dislikes money spent on vehicle maintenance, so can you fellows imagine my spending $100 and then not being able to properly install the valves? I couldn't bear the potential embarrassment.

Last edited:
They make an adapter for oil pans with recessed plugs. Don't recall the cost off hand since I've never needed one on my vehicles.

You're not missing out. I have one that I bought years ago (they were a lot cheaper back then) on my RX-7. I can reach from the top and drain the oil; no need to go underneath to change the oil in that car. They are not worth nearly $30 today. Feel good you saved $100.

Originally Posted By: Donald
New wife then order a Fumato valve.

New wife then new cars then Fumoto valves.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
You're not missing out. I have one that I bought years ago (they were a lot cheaper back then) on my RX-7. I can reach from the top and drain the oil; no need to go underneath to change the oil in that car. They are not worth nearly $30 today. Feel good you saved $100.

It's expensive.

I bought Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor around 2002-2003 for around $60-65. At first I used it to do oil change for E430, with cartridge oil filter on top of the engine I can do all the works standing up. I then use Mityvac to change oil for other cars and do ATF, brake flush ...

One tool at $60 to do several different maintenance items for several cars is much better then $30 Fumoto Valve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
I was excited that I had gotten the wife to budget $100 for me to purchase three Fumoto valves for our vehicles. I surely wanted to be able to drain oil without getting it all over my hands.

The more I studied the idea, though, the more I decided it might not work. The Fumoto valve would be a convenient part if the oil pan drain hole is out in the open and not recessed in any way. All of Fumoto's promotional pics show the drain hole out by itself with no blockages or impediments.

But on all three of our vehicles, the drain pan and surrounding bottom shields are constructed to prohibit or discourage installation and tightening of a Fumoto.

I don't get much discretionary money each month and my wife especially dislikes money spent on vehicle maintenance, so can you fellows imagine my spending $100 and then not being able to properly install the valves? I couldn't bear the potential embarrassment.

I had the same issue awhile ago (drain hole was recessed, even though Fumoto said it would fit my vehicle (I called them).

I put an ad in the "Items for Sale" section here on BITOG, reduced the price slightly.....and had a buyer within a few days. I suggest you do the same.

I wanted one too, but was turned off by the price. Agree with other posters, they were a better deal at $15. Eventually I'll try a top-side oil change on my Subaru since the filter is on top. If I still have to get on the ground, I may as well save the $30...

Also, my wife is the same way. And, if she's the same regarding cars, there's no way she's going to check to see if Fumoto valves are installed. Take the hard-fought $100 and put it some where safe. Spending it on a long-lasting automotive-related luxury like a tool or something... Like a Motive brake bleeder!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scotthershall
I wanted one too, but was turned off by the price. Agree with other posters, they were a better deal at $15. Eventually I'll try a top-side oil change on my Subaru since the filter is on top. If I still have to get on the ground, I may as well save the $30...

Also, my wife is the same way. And, if she's the same regarding cars, there's no way she's going to check to see if Fumoto valves are installed. Take the hard-fought $100 and put it some where safe. Spending it on a long-lasting automotive-related luxury like a tool or something... Like a Motive brake bleeder!

I had Motive Power Bleeder(with all accessories for my cars) and Mityvac fluid extractor.

I was a believer of specifics for specific jobs, I tried Motive Power Bleeder on my 1994 LS400 and 2000 E430, the front wheels were okay for both cars but it did work on rear wheels on both cars even when I tried to pump the Motive up to 20-25 PSI or higher the brake fluid just dripped out drop by drop.

I then tried Mityvac fluid extractor it extracted all dirty fluid of a rear wheel in less than 1 minute with 4-5 pumps. No air was in the brake system after finish and no mess anywhere.

I sold the Motive Power Bleeder with all accessories on Craigslist and eBay to recoup some investment.

From my experience with both tools I will say this: stay away from Motive Power Bleeder.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: scotthershall

I had Motive Power Bleeder(with all accessories for my cars) and Mityvac fluid extractor.

I was a believer of specifics for specific jobs, I tried Motive Power Bleeder on my 1994 LS400 and 2000 E430, the front wheels were okay for both cars but it did work on rear wheels on both cars even when I tried to pump the Motive up to 20-25 PSI or higher the brake fluid just dripped out drop by drop.

I then tried Mityvac fluid extractor it extracted all dirty fluid of a rear wheel in less than 1 minute with 4-5 pumps. No air was in the brake system after finish and no mess anywhere.

I sold the Motive Power Bleeder with all accessories on Craigslist and eBay to recoup some investment.

From my experience with both tools I will say this: stay away from Motive Power Bleeder.

Hmm. Good to know. I've read mixed reviews myself. I have a simple handheld Mityvac that I'm going to try first. A coworker of mine also swears by his Mityvac fluid extractor.

I tried a Motive once, and it was a dismal failure, and that was with a MC with a screw top to boot. Can't imagine it working well on MC's with cheesy snap-on rubber caps (like my Toyotas). The Mityvac though works well enough, and can be used for other purposes too, wherever vacuum is needed.

Changed the front diff oil once with it, 4oz at a time, over 60oz pulled. Drain bolt was stuck, but I was bound and determined to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back