Abandoned Ford Factory - Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many mothballed factories in SE Michigan. Two big ones in Livonia where I lived.

One interesting bit of information is that many of these factories are not considered closed. They are "idled." If they were closed or otherwise abandoned, the EPA would require a cleanup of the area at a considerable cost.

First one (havn't watched the second) doesn't look like a factory. Lots of 4-post lifts suggests maintenance, not production.

Not very trashed yet but if they don't provide any security cover it soon will be.

[censored] me off. Theft is theft and vandalism is vandalism.

In a more civilized society looters would be shot, neutered, and deported.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'd like to explore and get some souvenirs.

The only thing you're likely to find are used needles.

Fascinating to see once used and useful places just sitting empty and basically frozen in time. They haven’t changed but the circumstances that made them useful have. Coolest/strangest/most surreal I’ve seen are drone video from North Wilkesboro Speedway in NC and the Pontiac Silverdome. It was just like time stopped there (but, sadly, the rot and decay didn’t.)

Indeed … I have web surfed machine company names from my younger days only to find stories of shut down plants to shopping malls in their former days of glory locations …

Originally Posted By: Kestas
There are many mothballed factories in SE Michigan. Two big ones in Livonia where I lived.

One interesting bit of information is that many of these factories are not considered closed. They are "idled." If they were closed or otherwise abandoned, the EPA would require a cleanup of the area at a considerable cost.

Really? I worked in Livonia for a while, but I guess not long enough to truly learn much about the area...worked in an office building right next to the mall off 275 and 6 Mile, there was a Max & Erma's and a movie theater back then. Truly terrible job working for an absolute sadist, I felt really lucky to get out of there in less than a year and end up in probably my favorite job ever at Motorola near Chicago.
I actually thought it was pretty cool in a lot of ways to live to near Detroit, spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor and also remember some really interesting clubs in an old church and in the basement of an abandoned hotel (the latter was quite probably illegal). Spent a fair amount of time at a little place called Lily's 21 in Hamtramck, believe I read that has been closed for a while.

That's some type of testing and/or educational/training facility - - not a factory.

What is it REALLY? My DREAM SHOP!!

Technical training facility?

Google Ford opens new training facilities … then do the same for technical … looks like this was replaced to me

Last edited:
I used to work at Ford in Indy. Made all kinds of steering components.

1.8 million square feet. The entire building is now gone. Torn down and dismantled. They will probably never be able to sell the property; way too much ground pollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back