Abandoned Detroit Auto plants - photo essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool slideshow, but when I think of the products that rolled out of those plants, I'm not surprised that they're abandoned. It wasn't exactly world class machinery.

Some of the muscle cars were fun, but the rest is very forgettable.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
Cool slideshow, but when I think of the products that rolled out of those plants, I'm not surprised that they're abandoned. It wasn't exactly world class machinery.

your recollection is somewhat limited in scope. Packard and Cadillac were truly world class when the rest of the world's cars were nowhere close. some of those factories date to the '30's when Detroit was a mfg powerhouse.
much of the more recnet 'detroit' garbage didn't come from there literally.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: Scdevon

your recollection is somewhat limited in scope. Packard and Cadillac were truly world class when the rest of the world's cars were nowhere close. some of those factories date to the '30's when Detroit was a mfg powerhouse.
much of the more recnet 'detroit' garbage didn't come from there literally.

Agreed, but the slow slide into the abyss started in the 1950's. The lust for horsepower, gaudy designs and planned obsolescence trumped quality control. Those empty buildings are a stark reminder of better times for U.S. auto makers when consumers weren't informed and didn't have the internet to compare notes on what lousy products they were churning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back