Abandoned Detroit Auto plants - photo essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/141108540_70dcc6bce4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/55726612%40N00/141108540/&usg=__8V9XexwC8NnTvMSqyHMJfS3ec2E=&h=346&w=500&sz=107&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=FHbMtWSGMk-PGM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Detroit%2BAuto%2BPlants%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Don't know how to link to Filkr accounts....that isn't really going to work....

How about this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55726612%40N00/141108540
or /www.flickr.com/photos/55726612%40N00/141108540>

I'm too lazy to copy and paste.

I'm assuming these are the abandoned Packard and Fisher Body plants? I've been inside the Packard and its enormous, and full of junk. Its something like 30+ buildings, all connected. Huge!

That works. Interesting. The maniquins working on the assembly line were especially creepy, if that really exists in an abandoned plant.

Originally Posted By: css9450
I'm too lazy to copy and paste.

I'm assuming these are the abandoned Packard and Fisher Body plants? I've been inside the Packard and its enormous, and full of junk. Its something like 30+ buildings, all connected. Huge!

Yup. Just thought it was neat to see that many still standing, but abandoned. I thought most had been torn down.

Very sad......... A huge piece of our industrial past. Glory days of the big three. Phantoms of the days of road trips, picnics, family trips, driving vacations, camper trailers and station wagons.

not all the pics were of abandoned plants, the maniquins I believe are from the chrysler museum, interesting though, lots of history here, a lot of those have been closed for decades, one pic is of chrysler 8 mile stamping where I worked in the late 1970's, I would like to tour the model T plant.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Very sad......... A huge piece of our industrial past. Glory days of the big three. Phantoms of the days of road trips, picnics, family trips, driving vacations, camper trailers and station wagons.

I agree 100%!!! An entire way of life, with Detroit manufacturing as it's backbone, has been lost.....

Originally Posted By: bradepb
not all the pics were of abandoned plants, the maniquins I believe are from the chrysler museum, interesting though, lots of history here, a lot of those have been closed for decades, one pic is of chrysler 8 mile stamping where I worked in the late 1970's, I would like to tour the model T plant.

No, there were a couple pics of a few museums, with Cadillac's being assembled. And a few shots of the functional Ford plant.

But the general theme is not one of a successful place of industry. These were the days of cheap gas, big cars and a thriving middle class. The days of roadside stops, small town restaurants and drive-ins.

The scattered highways across our nations with the shells of restaurants, parks, shops, gas stations and the like are all part of this.

The sad part is that a lot of the plants were closed even during the good times because the auto companys got huge tax breaks to build new state of the art plants outside the city, it was cheaper to move to the suburbs like Warren etc. then to refurbish the old plants.
Even right now Okland county is promising GM the moon to try and get them to move there HQ out of Detroit and into the suburbs, Chrysler moved HQ out of Highland park to Auburn Hills not that many years ago into a huge brand new complex

the winter pics are the most depressing.
there are lots of these photo collections on blogs now, no shortage of material. here's one I found that shows more of the impact on the community:
Flint
this is one of the things that has turned me away from GM is they disdain they had/have for the community they built.

Thank you for posting that, its nice to take a look at where the industry came from, and sad to see what state it is currently in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back