AAP Synthetic, Fresh OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil out in my 96 Accord today with AAP Synthetic 5W30 and a Purolator Classic filter. I have to say, I was surprised at how light colored this oil was coming out of the bottle. Almost a light yellow or tan. Dare I say, borderline "clear". This is going to be my winter fill. I never put more then 5K miles on it within 6 months. So I intend for this fill to take me into April 1st. The last OCI was in there since March. Only put 3K miles on the car in that time. I'm sure it still had some life left, but why chance it.
Next weekend the Mazda 3 is getting AAP 5W20 Synthetic for its winter run as well.
I got it on sale for $3.99/Q last month. Its now back up to $5.49/Q at my local AAP.
I'm sure that this oil will be trouble free for the duration of winter.

Last edited:
I've used the AAP Full Synthetic oil in 5W-30 and 5W-20. IMO...a very good oil for a winter run. Just keep an eye on your oil level....I did have to top off a couple of times but ran it for 7K for a whole winter to late spring....November to the end of May.

Great Oil when you get it on sale. I got some when it first came out and paid, if remember, $3.29 a quart.

I have used plenty of AAP dino oils and they have worked fine. I have never tried the synthetic although I beleive that it'll work just fine for winter use. Some grades of AAP oils are blended by WPP/WNE. IDK which other blenders AAP uses. It seems to be grade/weight dependant.

Just from what I have learned here at Bob's, oil is perfectly clear after refining. The color in the oil is a dye. The dye is one of the single most expensive additives in oil(I've read).

Oil Companys/Blenders add this dye to the oil for a number of reasons, one of them is so it can be seen on the dipstick. I can hardly read the oil on the dipstick right after a fresh OCI
smile.gif
But, I know that I have added the correct amount(5qts) so, I'm not too concerned.

Another reason is for the preception of the oil quality or grade/wgt. Heavier oils such as 40 & 50 wgt oils may have a darker dye to give the buyer the preception that the oil is thicker, which it is!

I used AAP 10W40 in my buddys '97 RAM 2500 and it was almost maple syrup in color. This is not to say that the heavier the oil, the darker it is. It's all MFG/Blender dependant. It all perception, it's just dye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back