AAP oil change deals - filter pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
AAP has a $33 Edge syn oil change with a $10 MIR to make it $23 with filter.

It includes a Pure one filter valued up to $11.95. Of course, the one I wanted for the vw 2.5 was priced at $19.95(!). Even the Mann on the shelf was only $15.

So I go to check out. They can't get the price. They decide it is because the filter is too expensive. The system will only take filters at $11.95 or less. That worked. But now I have two pf52 equivalent filters I don't need. So then what?

The price on the VW filter is excessive. A fram at wal mart, made in Germany and looking exactly like the OE Mann is $9 and change. Still, the deal was good, Id have possibly paid the delta.

Apparently you can't pay the delta between $11.95 and the specific filter price? Also, apparently you can't take a credit for the filter value and apply it to another filter (eg the Mann version which cost less)?

Is that true, or did the counter guy just not know what he was doing?

I did get my battery. Thanks to sayjac for the code!

It's a trap, like my eye doctor offering a $200 credit off frames and having frames start at $275.

I like the "return the filter" idea.

LOL, I asked that to the counter guy... What if I just return the filter without receipt for an exchange or credit. He insisted that the system would make me return the oil too, since it was a package deal.

Obviously that isnt the case, but he couldnt "think outside the box".

That said, I dont know what their return policy is without receipt. if I did return with receipt, they would credit that filter value, but Id likely lose the $11.95 value, and at least at the store I was at... they just couldnt figure how to do it.

I've returned it already the filter that is and got the one I needed from a different brand and just paid the difference.

You can return but I think the oil gets discounted so you won't get full store price per quart if you do. So...

If oil is $8/qt normally but $5 on special you only get to return it at the $5 price.

The filter is always full price.

At least I think that is how it worked out for me. I had the same deal with my FiL's Dodge van, the 3.6l V6 takes a cartridge. At that time only Mopar ones were available in store.

Why cant i just take the filter back and exchange it without receipt? Im not looking to return the oil.

The way these receipts showed, was a discounted price on the oil and filter to hit the correct total price...

I did return the filter in 'package deal' to Autozone without returning the oil and received the price of the filter in cash. I showed the counter guy the receipt, he repeated the cant response but eventually he processed the return.
Have not tried it at advance auto yet.

When I left Advance in May it was still what you are describing. The issue is the computer issues a transaction number. When a return is scanned it takes the information from the sale. The filter is part of the package deal. Return the filter, return the oil. Since it was a package deal you have to return the package whole.

Also their system works in absolutes. 1 SKU for 1 part. It won't allow for modification nor substitution.

Originally Posted By: Nitrofan1
When I left Advance in May it was still what you are describing. The issue is the computer issues a transaction number. When a return is scanned it takes the information from the sale. The filter is part of the package deal. Return the filter, return the oil. Since it was a package deal you have to return the package whole.

Also their system works in absolutes. 1 SKU for 1 part. It won't allow for modification nor substitution.

X2. AAP's point of sale system is very ridgid.

Generally, no receipt or no stored info in the system (by phone number) = no return. Pull it up by transaction #, and you must return things as sold.

They put a lot of effort into eliminating loopholes from the POS system. For example, at one point employee discounts could be combined with other discounts...they put a stop to that.

It's not like a dealer or small store where you can just change prices on the spot, do a no receipt return, etc. It's not like Wal-Mart either where they just don't give a [censored]. AAP is strict. Frankly, I can't blame them because people are always trying to play games with car parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back