AAP/Carquest platinum pads/rotors

I've done brakes service on my wife's pilot hoping that slight pulsation in the steering wheel while braking at highway speeds would go away but unfortunately it is still there. I suspect the rotors are the culprit (which I believe is a common issues with pilots) and i might be changing all rotors/pads. with that said, does anyone has an experience with the subject brand? And good or bad? It looks like i can get a whole set for 280$. Not sure if that's cheap or expensive and whether those parts are good or bad. Appreciate any feedback

The only "brake service" that will resolve vibration involves resurfacing or replacing the rotors. Since you still have a decent amount of pad material remaining, I would resurface the rotors or install inexpensive ones (i.e. Centric GCX) and reuse the existing pads.

I have Carquest platinum rotors and pads on my car right now...

The rotors are quiet and just fine.... The rust resistant coating on them has held up very well...

The brake pads are ok... Quiet. They brake well but are not has good has the Akebono street performance brake pads I have had on my car before... Those pads do create a fair amount of dust though....

I'd give the platinum rotors and pads a solid B on a grading scale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
The only "brake service" that will resolve vibration involves resurfacing or replacing the rotors. Since you still have a decent amount of pad material remaining, I would resurface the rotors or install inexpensive ones (i.e. Centric GCX) and reuse the existing pads.

Makes sense to me ^^^^^^

I have a brake vibration in my car but only noticeable if I'm going like 76 mph or faster ....

I may well just get some new rotors and Akebono street performance pads back on my car...

I used the Carquest Professional Platinum Coated Rotors when I replaced all four rotors on the Sierra last year. I didn't use the platinum pads. I went with the AC Delco OE replacement pads. Rotors seem to be doing a fine job so far. And it's helpful when you get them with the online discounts.

I am an old man and drive like one ( my Wife is a Senior Citizen , too ) . Plus , I let it coast when I can in order to stretch MPG .

I have very little brake problems , Thank God .

I purchase the cheap life time warranty pads / shoes . Very , Very seldom need to replace rotors / drums ( have never purchased plated / coated rotors/drums ). But , I do not live in the rust / salt belt . Thank God ! :)

I installed Frontline rotors from AAP on my F150 a couple years ago. They were/are marketed as a heavy duty upgrade. After some miles they started shaking again but it never really got any worse. Replaced all pads and rotors after over 40k miles and the rotors were....ok. The e-coat certainly was better in Michigan than uncoated but it wasn't exactly great either. Not a garbage rotor but there is better bang for the buck out there.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Take a look at Rock Auto, but watch the shipping.

You may be able to add some oil filters to the order,
without adding to the shipping costs....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda

Man, there's a ton of options on the RA. Which brand is true and trusted?

Originally Posted by buck91
I installed Frontline rotors from AAP on my F150 a couple years ago. They were/are marketed as a heavy duty upgrade. After some miles they started shaking again but it never really got any worse. Replaced all pads and rotors after over 40k miles and the rotors were....ok. The e-coat certainly was better in Michigan than uncoated but it wasn't exactly great either. Not a garbage rotor but there is better bang for the buck out there.

What would be a better option you could recommend?

The problem with house brand pads and rotors is that you don't know who actually makes them or what kind of quality they are

If using Rock Auto, my choice would be Akebono pads and whichever coated rotors ship from the same warehouse.

Originally Posted by dan_erickson
I have the Carquest platinum rotors on my Honda. No complaints

What model your honda is and for how long have you had those rotors on?

Last edited:
I would go the Rockauto route if you want more premium selection and cheaper pricing on products. Raybestos EHT, Beck Arnley 089 series (Nissin) or Akebono ProAct pads paired with Centric Premium 120 rotors would be a solid choice. AAP would be a good option if you prefer the lifetime warranty on pads and that they are readily availability locally without having to wait for shipping.

Last edited:
My son and I put their "silver" pads and "Wearever" rotors on the front and rear of our '99 Accord. This was ~2 years ago and the car is only driven to/from school and some occasional errands so can hardly say it's used a lot. That said, I still drive it every once in a while to check on it (almost 240k miles) and there's one thing about the car that's dam good and that's the brakes ! They don't grab super hard but grab with confidence. They're smooth and quiet too. I would hope the better pads perform the same or better !

Just put a set of these put on my Sportwagen as an emergency at-the-track swap out for some Stoptech Sport slotted rotors what were hosed after a few laps. Found them in the nearby town at an Advance Auto, paid $145 I believe for the pair and if I wasn't flustered/in a hurry should have been 20% off if I would just ordered them online/store pickup. The hat and edge are painted grey, looks *ok*, not nearly as nice as the Stoptechs for sure but also $100 cheaper. Just basic blank rotors and paired them with some more track-orientated pads (EBC Yellowstuff) and had no issues for 3x24min sessions at VIR. Been daily driving them for a week now...work great. I will remove and store with the pads for next year when I do it again and swap back in some new slotted rotors like I had with the Redstuff pads that came off. Seems like an economical choice to me and easy to get at your local AA vs. having to order online.
_23A4283.JPG

I’m personally a big fan of Bosch Quietcast rotors & pads. I used them on a Chevy Express 2500HD ext van that had issues with warping rotors. Installed the Bosch items and never had an issue again. If you want a lower cost pad, their “Blue“ spec pads are solid with excellent bite. I’m not sure about the dusting issue as I have just installed these on a ‘02 Envoy XL, but they bring this vehicle to a stop in short order.

I use Auto Zone if I have to go to a parts store for brakes or Napa. But RockAuto is where I prefer I get the Raybestos pads and Rotors got the rotors $11 each and the pads were on wholesaler close out so go 5 pair for $5 each couldn’t beat that.

Back