AAP 10w30 1996 Buick Regal, 3.8L, 3034 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced Auto Parts labeled motor oil (provided by Coastal Unilube), 10w30, 3034 miles on sample, 173224 total miles on unit. This is the Auto-RX Rinse cycle. Mixed city/highway driving, OCI was approx. 2 months on this oil.

Replaced the UIM & LIM gaskets at 144700 miles (about 30K miles ago).

Oil Analysis performed by WIX (Staveley Services).

Iron 5
Chrom. 0
Lead 9
Copper 4
Tin 0
Alum 1
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 7
Boron 15
Sodium 27
Magnes. 9
Calcium 1111
Barium 0
Phosph. 677
Zinc 823
Moly 9
Titan. 0
Potass. 0

Visc 40 N/A
Visc 100 9.16
Fuel N/A
Water 0
Coolant NO
TAN 1.6

Recommendations: No corrective actions required.

It appears the oil sheared quite a bit, and I was hoping for a fuel reading, but it was blank on this analysis. Over the winter prior to this oil change I replaced a bad fuel injector seal. Regardless, I'm happy with the numbers
55.gif
Any thoughts??

Calcium detergent level is really, really weak, w/o anything to 'back it up' - no Magnesium, very little sodium...

Lead is a lot higher than iron, which I have read meas the oil is too thin, and the bearings are suffering. But this is a rince, so hopefuly this will trend down...

You got a TAN, but no TBN? I thought the two kinda went hand-in-hand...TAN is fairly low, probably still below TBN.

Didn't request or receive a TBN. I agree, Calcium looks pretty weak. Replaced this fill with Maxlife 10w30, so that'll fix that
wink.gif

As for the Auto-RX, about 500 or so miles into the cleaning phase I noticed a nice increase in power. Good stuff.

I really wouldn't use this oil for anything else other than an ARX rinse.....a dollar more is worth it to get a better oil like Formula Shell, Havoline or Exxon Superflo
thumbsup2.gif

You sheared to a 20 grade. Without a flash point it's hard to figure what it's from.

The Pb may take a bit to really settle down. It's still at noise level though...

Staveley belatedly provided a fuel (% vol) of <1. That's nice to hear. Next time I'll request a flash point just to be safe. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back