AAA says Synthetic is 50% better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be in NYC or L.A.

"For those that change their vehicle’s oil themselves, the average cost of 5 quarts of conventional oil is approximately $28, while synthetic oil is $45."

M1 in Dallas is around $25.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Sorry if this is a repost, I searched and couldn't find it here...

Originally published Jun 6 on AAA's web site... Link to story

Its worth the repost, its informative.

However the title is VERY misleading. On AVERAGE 47% and then ask yourself better at what?
Some conventionals exceeded one or two of the synthetics in certain tests.

SO which test is most important to you? Also what if your using the low rated inferior national brand synthetic in the test? Then what? AAA doesnt disclose the brand names. Gee, public service? I think not.

To me its a headlining grabbing tactic to give the AAA more exposure, aka FREE advertising.
AS all the brain dead press and news organizations in this country jumped all over the headline.
All of a sudden a for profit organization, the AAA, is treat like the god almighty of oil expertise by sampling 5 oil brands and a handful of tests.

Oh and by the way, isnt the oil that produces the least wear the best? Where oh Where is that test?

Its a good read, but read what is missing.

Last edited:
So, synthetic oils outperform conventional mineral oils, and water is wet and the sky is blue.
The reason why synthetic engine oils came into existence is that they outperform mineral oils, duh...
Does that i mean i will go running to the part store to grab the most expensive full synthetic oil and put it in my cars? Nah

If conventional is ran to 5000 miles, synthetic would have to be ran to at least 7500 miles to be 50% better right?
laugh.gif

OLM's only let the oil go so far.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Sorry if this is a repost, I searched and couldn't find it here...

Originally published Jun 6 on AAA's web site... Link to story

Its worth the repost, its informative.

However the title is VERY misleading. On AVERAGE 47% and then ask yourself better at what?
Some conventionals exceeded one or two of the synthetics in certain tests.

SO which test is most important to you? Also what if your using the low rated inferior national brand synthetic in the test? Then what? AAA doesn't disclose the brand names. Gee, public service? I think not.

To me its a headlining grabbing tactic to give the AAA more exposure, aka FREE advertising.
AS all the brain dead press and news organizations in this country jumped all over the headline.
All of a sudden a for profit organization, the AAA, is treat like the god almighty of oil expertise by sampling 5 oil brands and a handful of tests.

Oh and by the way, isn't the oil that produces the least wear the best? Where oh Where is that test?

Its a good read, but read what is missing.

+1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back