AAA Oil Recomendation : Adopt Synthetic Oil Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is necessary at all for every car or truck out there needs to run a full synthetic oil. In my opinion the conventional oils (that are really synthetic oil blends anyhow) are being made so much better today that they just aren't no where near the same as "conventional" oils from 15 or 20 years ago. If a manufacturer calls for a synthetic oil then that is what should go in it. But if it is not required by the manufacturer then a good conventional oil that is API SN, ILSAC GF-5 approved is good enough. I do think these turbo boosted motors and direct injection motors do need full synthetic oils given how they are set up to run. However there are still many, many cars and trucks on the road that do not have those types of motors in them. Thus, they don't need the full synthetic oil in them.

Last edited:
I wonder what data AAA used to arrive at this conclusion?
A lot of us here, including me, like hearing this, but we're a special case.
We know that we can always get a deal on synthetic oil and we're not at the mercy of a shop that'll charge a huge premium for a change using synthetic oil.
I suspect that most of us would agree that for the drain intervals we typically run, synthetic offers no real advantage over oil not so labeled.

Last time I checked AAA also owns and operates auto repair facilities with their name on the door so an article which says "go ahead and spend the extra dough" is a bit self-serving.

AAA seems to focus here on extreme conditions and how synthetics are better here. I think the main advantage is longer oci. Most normal cars with a shorter oci do just as well with conventional, which is much better now than 15 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Last time I checked AAA also owns and operates auto repair facilities with their name on the door so an article which says "go ahead and spend the extra dough" is a bit self-serving.

Yes it is... and furthermore, its a general statement on oils in general and made by someone who no one knows nor offers any proof.

Synthetic oil = HUGE profits for oil change stations, they could not survive at the discount cut rate prices they offer on conventional oil as the cost for both oils are almost the same within a few dollars they can then work on a much higher price market to the public, nothing wrong with that, they need to pay bills like anyone but its up to you if you want to save money and let someone else pay their bills...

Last edited:
I like the statement that 83% of service professionals choose synthetic oil for their personal cars. I highly doubt that percentage of service "professionals" could even give an educated answer on what the difference is.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Yes it is... and furthermore, its a general statement on oils in general and made by someone who no one knows nor offers any proof.

Our CAA does much the same thing, pulling nebulous statistics out of the air and publishing them.

They say synthetic oil outperforms conventional by 47%. I don't suppose they're lying, but they don't give enough information to know what the heck they're talking about!

I wonder if their reasoning has to do with people not changing their oil often enough and recommending synthetic because it'll remain serviceable for longer.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I like the statement that 83% of service professionals choose synthetic oil for their personal cars. I highly doubt that percentage of service "professionals" could even give an educated answer on what the difference is.

I would bet that most of them get to change their oil for free or at very low cost using bulk oil wherever they work...I think most people would choose the more expensive product by default in that scenario.

And AARP suggests getting term life policies, which coincidentally their preferred vendors are happy to sell you. The whole thing is thinly-veiled marketing and nothing else.

Locally, Bob Sumeral Tire Stores have the AAA logo plastered all over them. I have to assume it's just a branding/marketing thing of some sort.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
And AARP suggests getting term life policies, which coincidentally their preferred vendors are happy to sell you. The whole thing is thinly-veiled marketing and nothing else.

Locally, Bob Sumeral Tire Stores have the AAA logo plastered all over them. I have to assume it's just a branding/marketing thing of some sort.
Good point on the AARP.

It is good advice all the way. MAny people neglect changing their oils on time, so why not use synthetic that lasts a bit more and will allow engines to stay healthy and not pollute as much? Their reason behind promoting synthetic oil might be shady, but at least this may lead to more awareness.

It is good advice if you have a modern car, however the engines in my cars were designed in 1965 and 1986 respectively, so they run fine on the thick dino juice diet they are on right now.

thumbsup2.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I would bet that most of them get to change their oil for free or at very low cost using bulk oil wherever they work...I think most people would choose the more expensive product by default in that scenario.

+1 Most people I know who work in the service industry typically drive old cars and use the cheapest oils they can get their hand on compared to a lot of consumers of oil change places who own cars 10 years or younger and fall for the upsales that the garages say their cars need. Personally I use any oil that meets the manufacturers spec and follow the service recommendations. Haven't had any lubrication issues since I have been wrenching

We all have our opinions about what's best for our vehicle of choice, but taking age, OCI, climate, severity of usage, cost, etc. out of the question is a bottle of Mobil 1 10W-30 superior to a bottle of PYB 10W-30 looking strictly at whatever metrics are important to a PCMO?

In other words, M1(or whatever syn) is measurably superior to PYB(or whatever dino), but PYB is good enough for many applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back