a06 Malibu 3.5 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting about 28 mpg in the summer/fall and now it is about 21mpg tops in the winter and thats with no warm up time. Engine oil life monitor also expired the oil in about 2200 miles as apposed to about 5000 miles in the summer months... No engine service or performance issues that are being alerted... question is and i know winter gas formulas ect.... should i get the car examined or is this considered normal?? I imagine with no codes the dealer will say nothing is wrong... What say you guys ?

With the olm tripping that early usually means that you take mostly short trips that aren't long enough for the oil to get up to temp. This in return causes the oil to be thicker and increase the drag on the engine components that hurts your gas mileage. Pretty much what I am saying is that it is possible. My truck goes from 16 to 17 mpg on my normal commute down to 12 mpg in the winter. luckily I only go 12 miles on my commute.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a winter blend of gas in your area. It usually results in worse gas mileage. You'll know for sure if the gas mileage goes back up in the Spring.

No expert here, but a decrease of 7 mpg with no change in driving habits doesn't seem normal. Are you sure of your gas mileage calculations? I would expect maybe a 2-3 mpg decrease, but no 7 or more, especially in a newer vehicle like yours. Hmm.

Anyone else?

My mileage is easily off that much this winter. All short trips, it's been brutally cold, your tires may be under inflated from the cold, crummy winter gas, etc. I'd say it's potentially normal.

I normally drive about 25 miles one way to work. My wife occasionally drives the car on short trips... I noticed the gas mileage increased a couple mpg when it simply warmed up to 35 degrees... Strange i have never owned a car this different in cold weather

wow your olm tripped even with a 25 mile commute to work. I would have except much short trips with it tripping that early. How is your commute city or express way ?

If your outside temperatures vary 30-40 degrees a day it will make a drastic cut in your oil monitor. Are you sure it was reset the last oil change?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My mileage is easily off that much this winter. All short trips, it's been brutally cold, your tires may be under inflated from the cold, crummy winter gas, etc. I'd say it's potentially normal.

Wow. I will have to watch an increase in MPG's in the Spring. Maybe I will look into using nitrogen in the tires. Some tire shop says the tire pressure won't vary with nitrogen, but I haven't researched it yet.

If your OLM is tripping at 2200 miles, something is wrong with your engine. Its overheating or whatever and thickening the oil maybe. I would get it checked out at the dealership.

Your engine must never hit temperature. Get the oil changed, get the dealer to look at it for any mechanical problems, bring the tires up to the correct pressures, drive the car around until it is warmed up enough for the torque converter to lock up cruising.

Fill up with gas until the pump clicks off (don't overfill), then go for a 75 mile highway round trip, come back to the same gas station and fill up, then work out your mileage from that.

I bet suddenly your mileage will be within 4% of your summer mileage.

Tires being under pressure and somewhat out of round, the transmission being cold and the torque converter not locking up until it reaches temperature as well as delayed shifts, and the engine not spending much time at operating temperature and in closed loop is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back