A whopping repair/service for 2013 Audi A6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am suggesting he simply get it running and trade it in on a Toyota Avalon or something. He's nearing retirement.

Scott
When I look at that repair bill, I really see $2,000 dollars worth of necessary repairs, BUT even that is way too high for a car with only 50,000 miles on it.

I was used car shopping last June. I considered the supercharged Audi A6, but I settled on a 2016 Toyota Avalon with 50,000 miles: a year later (and 22,000 miles) the car has been absolutely flawless - I’m talking ridiculously flawless - doesn’t burn a drop of oil, not a rattle or shake. Perfect. It’s almost boring to not have to open the hood and check/add oil or worry about something. And the power, handling, overall performance is excellent. No doubt the A6 looks better, performs better, carries a little prestige, BUT I’m averaging 29.2 mpg’s and driving 500 miles a week. I live in an area where cars get eaten alive by road salt and potholes. I’ve owned high end luxury cars before (Mercedes, Lexus, others) and I still have a Mercedes...it’s just kind of nice not to have to worry about a car for once. Just put gas in it and do the basic maintenance.

(8) page thread based on recommended services and "I can do this job at home for 1/10th that price" :mad:

Any vehicle with a supercharger is super expensive to maintain.

Fix the things that are really broke. There are many indy shops that specialize in imports or German cars. Find one.
I don't know I owned 3 different supercharged 3800s and they were pretty cheap to keep running.

Last edited:
8 pages of commentary, mostly by people who are unfamiliar with this vehicle and are automatically condemning the validity of the repairs without seeing the vehicle. 🙄
You either have a vehicle with too many valid repair needs at 50K miles, a vehicle with minimal repair needs and a dishonest dealership or some combination of the two.

None of those scenarios are flattering.

8 pages of commentary, mostly by people who are unfamiliar with this vehicle and are automatically condemning the validity of the repairs without seeing the vehicle. 🙄
My first comment in this thread asked (paraphrasing 'cause I don't remember my exact words) "all of these things broke at once?".

Not everyone can do auto repairs and the OP clearly indicated this was the case for his family member but that didn't stop comments...

My first comment in this thread asked (paraphrasing 'cause I don't remember my exact words) "all of these things broke at once?".

Not everyone can do auto repairs and the OP clearly indicated this was the case for his family member but that didn't stop comments...
Agreed. And we do not know the severity of some of the items. They may be valid issues that do not require immediate attention. Also, I have seen a lot of cars that do not receive thorough inspections at each service visit so it is very possible that some of the issues have existed for a while (but were not noticed).

Look up in Consumer Reports for frequency of repairs for this vehicle. See how off your vehicle is from the average in Consumer Reports. If the average is a lot of repairs then time to trade in.

Dealers often tell you the required/critical repairs vs the recommended. If a dealer sees info in a TSB or indication that a certain repair may be needed in the future even if there is no failure at present then reasonable to recommend it.

Bottom line - the more you know about cars even if all by reading and you never touch a wrench the better off you are. Mechanic or dealer less likely to take advantage and you can ask better questions.

You can routinely find cheap used Audis (and BMWs, and Mercedes) even with sub-100k miles. As soon as their owners are handed a $15,000 quote for suggested repairs, they go right on the used market for $5,000 "as is." Facebook, Craigslist, whatever. Take your pick. See them almost every time I look, and I know they have some serious leaks or timing chain death rattle or transmission issues....
These are local to me, and this search took 1 minute. If you spent a bit of time looking, got a private seller, did some haggling, you'd find better deals. This represents no effort and just what's available at this moment.

A 2001 Allroad Quattro with 132k miles for $5k.

Here's 2007 A6 with 144k miles for $7k.

2000 5-speed TT for $3000.

2009 A4 with 121k miles for $8000.

A 2011 A4 with 114k for $8,000. Again, these aren't far off, and no effort in looking.

Here's a 2006 A6 for $9k, with 94,000 miles. Not exactly on point, but prices are a bit high at the moment and this is a dealer. This search took me 10 seconds. A bit more effort and a private seller and you'd easily find similar for $5-7k right now.

A 2005 A6 with 142k miles for $7k

So in actuality only two of those cars are 5k or less, and both are over 20 years old and were roughly 35k when new.

“Need” is a different definition from the dealership and the Internet. I bet it does need all those repairs to be brought back to factory specs. An oil leak is not an emergency but they should report and quote it. Many customers would not be happy to find the dealer ignored things.

“Need” is a different definition from the dealership and the Internet. I bet it does need all those repairs to be brought back to factory specs. An oil leak is not an emergency but they should report and quote it. Many customers would not be happy to find the dealer ignored things.
It is really a double edged sword.

If the dealer does not bring awareness to the issue, they get blamed for incompetence.

If they advise of the issue, then you get 8 pages of strangers on the internet stating that they are ripping off the customer.

A 2001 Allroad Quattro with 132k miles for $5k.

2000 5-speed TT for $3000.
So are you saying these high mileage 20-year-old Audis are selling for less than other manufacturers' cars of similar mileage and vintage?

I'm assuming the TT has a ton of miles on it since the owner didn't bother to list it in the ad.

Username checks out
I’ve worked on BMW MERCEDES and VAG professionally and I can guarantee you Mercedes go wrong more often with more expensive bills.

Yes I like Audi, they look after customers better than any other German brand, cars drive great, get class leading fuel economy and infotainment systems that dont have issues like BMWs I drive.

Wife had a Mercedes that with less than 20,000 miles and not 4 years old needed a new oil pump solenoid. Sump off to replace. Mercedes own 1.6 petrol not the Renault 1.5 either. So I sold it and bought her a newer golf GTI. Better car, cheaper insurance and uses the same amount of fuel. Win win

I will ignore your oh look at his user name jibe as that sort of post is what brings this forum down.

What gets me is the people saying Mercedes are better. These are even worse money pits than Audi.
Depends on the year and model. Certain models and certain years are really bad. Some of the more recent models are better. Blanket generalizations are to be avoided. You have to do your research on each model. When buying new, then it's just a gamble especially for first year models.

Depends on the year and model. Certain models and certain years are really bad. Some of the more recent models are better. Blanket generalizations are to be avoided. You have to do your research on each model. When buying new, then it's just a gamble especially for first year models.
Now this I can totally agree with and apply it to any vehicle you are going to buy. Any brand can have a total Mellon of a model.

I guess I don't get the fuss. It's an almost 9 model year old Audi that has likely been a pretty good car for the owner, not to mention nicer than most, and another $1,500 to $2000 bucks gets it on the road for a couple more years probably without much drama, by then it'll be trade time anyway. All of this is pretty in line with any brand you are going to pay the luxury/status tax on.

All of the older cars I have owned always end up with a "could do" list that I chose to ignore, much of the dealer's quote on this Audi is the same kind of stuff. I don't see a guy who buys a supercharged Audi as the type who will be happy with any Toyota.

Closest thing to affordable luxury is a lightly used Lincoln and it will still cost you more to own than a Ford.

This has kind of turned into an Audi bash, as a VAG guy I happen to love them and FWIW for several years Consumer Reports has Audi ranked ahead of BMW and Benz in reliability. Things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back