A whopping repair/service for 2013 Audi A6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they send a video of the work needed? Should have done as this is a brand standard in the UK.

Carnt say I’ve ever had to change a valve cover gasket on one of these for leaking. I bet it’s just got a bit of a damp patch that needs cleaning off every 30k miles. The cam faser covers at the rear like you leak but it’s a easy repair to do.

Did you get the fuel pipe recall in the USA on this engine? If so PCV could have been done at the same time.

I’ve not seen a coolant pump recall on these but a electric assist pump shouldn’t cost that much to replace.

I’m not at work this week but I could get you all the labour times next week if you need to price check the work.

Every service advisor I have ever known for the big dealerships here work on straight commission. That’s why they tried to up-sell everything they possibly can. They are basically commission sales people and honestly have zero knowledge about automobiles. They know as much about cars as the commissioned shoe salesmen over at Macy’s.
Will agree with you there. Although they do know significantly more than sales people. Two of our advisors are actually former techs.

It's a high performance vehicle, expect to pay high performance maintenance costs. The funny thing is while German vehicles are complex, they are usually the innovators in technology and other manufacturers follow suit. Pop the hood on a modern Chevy or Ford and you will see a similar amount of plastic bits and electronics. Heck I looked at a friend's 2020 F150 the other day and the cooling system had the same style of snap-lock coolant hoses my 2009 E90 BMW has.

No matter what brand you will be taken for a ride if you go to the dealer.

I think I read on here someone was contemplating selling their Crown Vic. It doesn't have a third row, handles like a stump on a skateboard, scares away attractive women for a 5 mile radius, hauls fat people in comfort and is under appreciated by driving enthusiasts world wide. There you go. No thanks necessary.
I nominate this for post of the day! 😂

Just spoke with him 5 minutes ago. They are going to replace the HPFP only, just to get it running. Then he's going to consider his options. I'm suggesting he sell it. He's nearing retirement and a car like this will most likely to throw a few more financial surprises at him.

He's thinking of a medium sized SUV. Something new. I suggested a Honda Passport. He doesn't need a three row SUV. I know the Honda V6 uses a timing belt, but it anyone aware of any weaknesses in this package?

Scott
Google "honda passport reliability issues".

Also look at Toyota 4Runner with KDSS. I have a 2011 with 115,000 miles. The only repairs so far are routine maintenance items. Brake pads, shocks, serpentine belt, wiper blade refills, and fluid changes, ATF, PS, coolant, brake and differential. I installed after market front springs only because I wanted one inch of front lift.

Spark plugs last 120,000 miles in a 4Runner. A 4Runner also runs on regular gas, whereas Audi recommends premium for the A6. A serpentine belt lasts 100,000 miles on a 4Runner. One belt drives all accessories and it's easy to replace.

Note, a 4Runner is not a high performance vehicle, it's a body on frame (like a truck). The 4x4 holds residual value very well. A Highlander may be a better choice, however it has 3 row seating.

Last edited:
Owned a Audi 2004 A4 Quattro for a brief period of time. Car was a blast to drive, but it eventually nickel and dimed me to death with small issues.......Ignition Coils, plastic oil dipstick tube, oxygen sensor, vacuum leaks, cracked coolant overflow container, Electrical problems with the Instrument cluster.....all this with less than 60k on the clock.........sadly (or gladly, depends on how you see it) the car was totaled in a crash when someone ran a Red light and blindsided my wife.....Thankfully, no injuries.........needless to say, that crash was a blessing in disguise.

Where are these $5,000 Audis!?

I'd like a few.
Me too. Probably been wrecked and are squatting in a salvage yard for that price. Lot of hate for the European cars but Toyota and Honda have the same driving dynamics as a Kia/Nissan/Mitsubishi etc....not much fun. You can always tell who doesn't actually work on their own vehicles from post's of these types. Oil and filter really doesn't qualify anyone in making an informed opinion on actual repairs. I think of many of these folks when I see commercials on television showing some guy with a ratchet under a vehicles hood attached to a convenient fastener within easy reach, not surrounded by guides/phasers/chains and half the engine compartment piled up next to their ecoboost.

You can routinely find cheap used Audis (and BMWs, and Mercedes) even with sub-100k miles. As soon as their owners are handed a $15,000 quote for suggested repairs, they go right on the used market for $5,000 "as is." Facebook, Craigslist, whatever. Take your pick. See them almost every time I look, and I know they have some serious leaks or timing chain death rattle or transmission issues....
These are local to me, and this search took 1 minute. If you spent a bit of time looking, got a private seller, did some haggling, you'd find better deals. This represents no effort and just what's available at this moment.

A 2001 Allroad Quattro with 132k miles for $5k.

Here's 2007 A6 with 144k miles for $7k.

2000 5-speed TT for $3000.

2009 A4 with 121k miles for $8000.

A 2011 A4 with 114k for $8,000. Again, these aren't far off, and no effort in looking.

Here's a 2006 A6 for $9k, with 94,000 miles. Not exactly on point, but prices are a bit high at the moment and this is a dealer. This search took me 10 seconds. A bit more effort and a private seller and you'd easily find similar for $5-7k right now.

A 2005 A6 with 142k miles for $7k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back