A Weekend With a 2014 Challenger V6 Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead

I think "0-60" is a bit overrated. Great for a drag race, but there is so much more to a competent road or track car.

I think that in-gear acceleration times are much more useful, but the only US magazine that measures that is Car and Driver(30-50 and 30-70 in top gear). The Brit magazine Autocar times multiple speeds in multiple gears. I measure 30-70 in 3rd gear to evaluate engine modifications to my MS3. It is not as useful a test for automatics, as they will downshift and thus the flexibility of the engine is not as readily evaluated.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
But as long as their brakes keep up with their engines, I wish the newest rocket sleds happy motoring.

This right here eliminates a LOT of cars. Many larger cars are bad enough, but some of the smaller 'missiles' are quite capable of high speeds and have very poor brakes IMO.

My good friend has a new Subie and the darn thing has solid rear rotors, they're not even ventilated!

Doesn't have to be a big car to need more brakes!

My MS3 has solid rear rotors, but when Mazdaspeed massaged the drivetrain the front brakes received a significant upgrade. No problems with them at any HPDEs to date...

For the street, depending on the brake biasing, a solid rear rotor is OK for a lot of vehicles. Usually lighter cars that are heavily front biased.

Not too long ago, they were still slapping rear drums on a lot of these vehicles.

But at the track, or with some of these heavier monster engine cars coming out, I'd rather see the added fade resistance a ventilated rear rotor.

So I think you're both right.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Didn't 4-banger BMW 3-series get solid FRONT rotors into the mid-90's?

The ti didn't get vented front rotors until mid 1998. The solid rotors work fine for track use until you swap in an inline six. In over 130k miles and a bunch of HPDEs I've only bought one set of rotors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back