A warning on why it's "bad" to change from dino to synthetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As seen on another board. Enjoy -

If an engine or any other steel component for that matter, has been assembled with or previously been in contact with a mineral oil then you cannot switch to a synthetic or semi-synthetic oil anyway and vice versa

synthetic and mineral bases do not mix and produce carbon particles in the oil that act like a lapping paste and damage the bearing surfaces of the crank and camshaft

it is possible to change the lubrication type IF it is completely removed at a chemical level. Just wiping it off is not sufficient because steel is porous and absorbs the lubricant at granular level. A chemical degreaser can be used but then the degreaser needs to be removed by heating before the new lubricant is applied or else it will be 'degreased' too

it is nigh on impossible to do this to an engine unless it is stripped to bare components and each surface is degreased

the biggest problem is heating up a hardened surface, like a big end journal, as it will start to temper and no longer be a 'journal'

so the upshot of all that is, if your engine has synthetic oil fitted as factory spec, then stick to that. If you drive old **** that has mineral oil as it's spec, then stick to that

DO NEVER MIX

because it won't improve the wear capabilities of your engine

it will make it worse

and further explained as -

i don't doubt that many people have done it and 'got away with it' but strictly speaking it is not possible and they will have experienced accelerated wear but not attributed it to the oil base type

synthetic and mineral dissimilar base reaction is even more pronouced if anti-fretting agents like copper are also in the lubricant - that really does react if 'mixed'

(Tribologist mode)

if a steel component has a mineral lubricant applied then it effectively forms a barrier coating on the surface, when a synthetic base lubricant comes into contact with it then it cannot adhere (and protect) the steel surface as the mineral lubricant is blocking it. The synthetic lubricant is then not the lubricant anyway but just the thin coating of mineral is doing all the work and vice versa

therefore if you have an engine with mineral base oil in it and you drain it off and put synthetic base oil in instead, the synthetic is doing absolutely nothing to lubricate the components and is merely sloshing around - it is the thin coating of mineral that is left that is the lubricant - this cannot last long

the reaction behind dissimilar bases causes carbon (fossilised) particles in the mineral oil to migrate out of it and they cannot mix with/dissolve into the synthetic base oil. They are suspended in the synthetic base and the oil becomes effectively a 'lapping paste'

Comments welcome...
grin.gif

I don't believe a word of it.
I personally have used synthetic oil in every vehicle I've owned in the last ten years. I know of one Chevy Pickup with over 300.000 miles on a 350 c.i. engine that came with dino oil and was broken in with dino oil and then switched over to Mobil 1 for the rest of its life. this truck has been used as a pickup is intended to be used.
Where do stories like this come from?

Westex

I have two different thoughts after reading this.

1. I switched my current vehicle to a grp IV synth at about 100k miles. I then drained it and did a UOA a about 108k miles. The results were much better that I would expect from a "lapping paste"

2. Scheaffers and a few others had better change their formulas and re-lable their synth blends as "lapping paste". Once people find out that "lapping paste" will protect as good as these synth blends, there may be problems.

It is hard to know where to start with this post!!You would be better off leavingit alone and just shakeing your head. It is all wrong!! Every last word is completely wrong! I hope this guy isnot a tech.!!!!

I especialy love this portion
quote:

the biggest problem is heating up a hardened surface, like a big end journal, as it will start to temper and no longer be a 'journal'

This is a real gem as well
quote:

the reaction behind dissimilar bases causes carbon (fossilised) particles in the mineral oil to migrate out of it and they cannot mix with/dissolve into the synthetic base oil. They are suspended in the synthetic base and the oil becomes effectively a 'lapping paste'

Darwin Award Canidate!!!!!

Some one should PM this to Molakule and Terry!!! I think their hearts will skip a beat!!

quote:

synthetic and mineral bases do not mix and produce carbon particles in the oil that act like a lapping paste and damage the bearing surfaces of the crank and camshaft

Yeah, right. How does this little gem of logic apply to a true synthetic blend like the Grp III/PAO Mobil Clean 7500?

A pretty sophisticated line of BS, but the odor is still there, none the less!

I probably should have left it alone but I just couldn't.
grin.gif

I *had* to ask how it was possible to formulate a synthetic blend, or how using a mineral based additive carrier oil in a synthetic lubricant could possibly work given the "reaction" he mentioned.

I never did get an answer...
lol.gif

Somewhere a village idiot got access to the 'net
frown.gif

I suppose this means that ExxonMobil, ConnocoPhillips and others who are now sneaking some synthetic basestocks into their conventional oils are really out to kill engines ....

mad.gif

John

Is it possible to check the date on that post??

Seems like it must have been originally posted ....... April 1st..............
pat.gif

quote:

I probably should have left it alone but I just couldn't.

Oh ...JS ..you can't just leave us with this little taste of this individual's wisdom. Let us drink from the fountain of knowledge that he has to offer. Someone who can post with such conviction and authority needs to be paid close attention to.

Lead us to him so we can know him...
grin.gif

You've been holding out on us....
nono.gif

My heart didn't skip a beat but reading that pap gave me gas..and I farted.

he's my hero
worshippy.gif

maybe I can sue mobil, QS, Valvoline, Pennzoil, for their synthetic blends
shocked.gif

geez, there's a lot of syn blends on the shelf these days, I'm gonna be rich
fruit.gif

This is my favorite part:

quote:

i don't doubt that many people have done it and 'got away with it' but strictly speaking it is not possible and they will have experienced accelerated wear but not attributed it to the oil base type

So he thinks that it can happen but is not possible.

Can we please have a link?
grin.gif

Ok, I had a couple of people ask... If anyone wants to know where I saw this "gem," PM me. If you don't like four letter words or people trolling constantly though don't bother...
wink.gif

YES - Terry does have a sense of humor!!

I think hogwash would come to mind.....but the false beliefs keep getting propped up. People REALLY believe this stuff!

sad really - ah the Internet.......

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
It is hard to know where to start with this post!!You would be better off leavingit alone and just shakeing your head. It is all wrong!! Every last word is completely wrong! I hope this guy isnot a tech.!!!!

I especialy love this portion
quote:

This is a real gem as well
quote:

Darwin Award Canidate!!!!!

Some one should PM this to Molakule and Terry!!! I think their hearts will skip a beat!!

I'm assuming that his theory is if you mix synth and dino oil you will spin a bearing? All oil mfgs. say you can mix dino and synth oil so I guess this numbnuts knows something they don't.
cheers.gif
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back