A Walkman (or something like it)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, love to take music pretty much everywhere I go. Crazy as it sounds, I just like to listen to the radio...strange as it sounds. (just like different stuff at different times). Up to a few years ago, I had both a sony walkman and a little Awia player. Both finally died,so I started using my old Sandisk Sensa player (circa 2006 or so), but now it seems to have that famous "blue ring on death" thing going on. So, I'm am looking for something I can listen to while working outside or going for a walk.

I've peeked a bit on Amazon and a few other places-but there seems to be little out there. Can't seem to find just some good old FM radios. Walkmans (or close) are like a fortune now. Most every MP3 player I saw had no FM bad (which sucks as I want a choice)

Looking for suggestions...something I can enjoy my walk with, but affordable too....

Which of the following do you want in the device? I couldn't figure it out from your post.

FM band
AM band
MP3 capability
Play CDS

Look at the SanDisk Clip Sport MP3 players with FM.

I have a SanDisk Sansa Clip Plus MP3 player with FM (an earlier model) and I really like it. Does a decent job of FM reception too. Right now I have close to 1000 music files on it and it plays for 10 hours without needing to be recharged.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Which of the following do you want in the device? I couldn't figure it out from your post.

FM band
AM band
MP3 capability
Play CDS

Believe it or not, I prefer the first two. If it does MPS (like my old Sandisk did) it would be a bonus....

Try Best Buy. They have some of those AM/FM/CD players for upwards of $25.00.

I recently found a Memorex AM/FM/Cassette player there as well, since I have a lot of Cassette tapes, and like you I like to listen all kinds of sources.

I will have to say, I do not like MP3 audio, too compressed.

Last edited:
Sony SRF-HM55. Not very comfortable, you'll look like a dork or as we say around here:'You look very Portland'... but best selectivity and sound ever.

What do you consider affordable? You can still find those old sansa clip on eBay, but they have a newer model that's the clip sport, lots more memory for about the same price.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

FM band
AM band
MP3 capability
Play CDS

Believe it or not, I prefer the first two. If it does MPS (like my old Sandisk did) it would be a bonus....

So you just want a pocket AM/FM radio?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
What do you consider affordable? You can still find those old sansa clip on eBay, but they have a newer model that's the clip sport, lots more memory for about the same price.

One nice thing about the older Sansa players such as Clip or Clip+ is that it can run Rockbox, which I much prefer over the stock Sandisk firmware. Rockbox is not supported on Clip Sport, unfortunately. But if the OP is just going to be listening to radio, then it probably does not matter.

My Clip+ is still going strong, although battery life is getting shorter. Not sure yet what I am going to replace it with. I mainly listen to MP3/AAC/OGG.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Sony SRF-HM55. Not very comfortable, you'll look like a dork or as we say around here:'You look very Portland'... but best selectivity and sound ever.

$386.06 new at Amazon...... ouch / ouch / ouch!

You dont have any old cassette players? Im sure I have two in a box somewhere. What about checking craigslist or Kijiji?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XRNP6NL/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511017721&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=am%2Ffm+portable+radio&dpPl=1&dpID=51qlNHEWN1L&ref=plSrch

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You dont have any old cassette players? Im sure I have two in a box somewhere. What about checking craigslist or Kijiji?

He will need a really long extension cord on his walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back