A Video That Will Be Appreciated By Mercedes Afficianados.

Evening Everyone! I just finished watching this video. My non-disclosure; I know very little at all about MB cars and their history, but I do have an appreciation for their engineering as I have learned about it. Anyway, if you haven't viewed this channel before and you like to learn about cars, especially higher end ones, especially exotics, this channel is for you and I encourage you to subscribe.

Watch the video all the way through if you can, as the bit about repairing the MB door handle is pretty amazing from an engineering standpoint.

P.S. I never knew the part about Rolls Royce door handle design until Ian provided that info.

The 450 SLCs were wonderful Rides . I drove one from Millbrae to Santa Cruz for a friend and still today I was impressed with the ride, power and handling.

Those old MB's were really something. Late models have impressive interiors IMO but the lower displacement turbos do not make me feel that MB engineering. They seem just as unrefined as many of the Kia offerings. I'd imagine once you get to the higher-end models the refinement is there.

for the God's sake, it is a MB, specifically S class; I see Mercedes peaked in the late 70s and in the beginning of 80s; those were the real machines

needless to say, MB owns Maybach

the new MBs are more of an iPhone on 4 wheels

The 6.9 was a special car. Vastly more powerful than the regular 450 SEL with which it shared a chassis and body, that 6.9 liter M100 V-8 and the hydro pneumatic suspension made the 6.9 more of a luxury sports sedan, capable of incredible (for the time) speeds on the autobahn. Most cars built today, nearly 50 years later, could not catch a 6.9 on the autobahn.

The M-100 was a dry sump engine, by the way.

They‘re rare. And they’re going up in value rather quickly.

And I want one… 😎

Last edited:
The 6.9 was a special car. Vastly more powerful than the regular 450 SEL with which it shared a chassis and body, that 6.9 liter M100 V-8 and the hydro pneumatic suspension made the 6.9 more of a luxury sports sedan, capable of incredible (for the time) speeds on the autobahn. Most cars built today, nearly 50 years later, could not catch a 6.9 on the autobahn.

The M-100 was a dry sump engine, by the way.

They‘re rare. And they’re going up in value rather quickly.

And I want one… 😎
Even I’d buy an MB gasser if it was a 6.9!

Back