A true multi-vehicle ATF? Even Toyota SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to be Lubrizol, their fluid can work for frying eggs as well.

Lubrizol is behind the multi-vehicle madness. They believe that they can cover 30+ applications with one fluid by 2010.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
According to be Lubrizol, their fluid can work for frying eggs as well.

Lubrizol is behind the multi-vehicle madness. They believe that they can cover 30+ applications with one fluid by 2010.
Yeah, they are probably the ones who do the add pack for Chevron's multi vehicle fluid. It pretty much covers every fluid known to man lmao

Thanks for your post and link to the product data sheet. This product is particularly interesting to me in that it is recommended for BMW transmissions including Esso LT71141 applications. I'm going to change the fluid/filter in my BMW 740iL and was going to use the new formula Mobil 1 ATF but for some reason it isn't available in Canada--we get the original formula which isn't specificilly recommended for LT71141 applications.

Petro-Canada makes some excellent products and that fact that is ATF is "multi vehicle" doesn't concern me at all. I also like the fact that it's a full synthetic.

Since I have 3 Toyotas that all spec WS and the price of a Toyota trans rebuild or replacement is $2,000-$4000 I would never even consider using anything but the Toyota WS fluid and take a chance that an off brand "one size fits all" claim would fubar a trans. Just very foolish IMO.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Since I have 3 Toyotas that all spec WS and the price of a Toyota trans rebuild or replacement is $2,000-$4000 I would never even consider using anything but the Toyota WS fluid and take a chance that an off brand "one size fits all" claim would fubar a trans. Just very foolish IMO.
smirk2.gif

"Off brand"?? Petro-Canada is a multi-billion dollar corporation with an excellent reputation. If they recommend their product for a specfic application I am confident in using it. The transmission in my BMW 740iL is over $5K for a rebuild/replacement but on principle I refuse to pay the absurd price dealers charge for the Esso LT71141 fluid. On the BMW forums I visit there are hundreds of BMW owners using alternative fluids and I have yet to see a post attributing tranny failure to an alternative recommended fluid.

BMW also claimed that the Esso LT71141 fluid was "lifetime" and never needed be changed and yet newer model BMW's (with the same ZF transmissions) no longer carry the "lifetime" fluid statement.

If you feel compelled to use the specific Toyota fluid that's fine but I disagree that it's "very foolish" to use an alternative fluid recommended by a reputable fluid manufacturer. The alternative fluid may in fact be a better product.

VOA's have shown WS to be nothing special. Its an ok fluid in my experience with it. Although there are a few aftermarket alternatives that last and perform much better than WS. Transmissions arent seizing up at a crazy rate so companies like Lubrizol must be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back