A Tribute to the Pontiac Motor Division

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a really nice tribute to the Pontiac Motor Division.

If somebody can embed it, that would be great.
smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahQKd9DrBFY&feature=related

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

My family tribute to the Pontiac motor division.
smile.gif

Pretty sure thats a 66 GTO. GOAT BABY!! Nicely hot-rodded out. Under the hood
laugh.gif

382806_244201382313082_100001696655273_633458_2145273854_n.jpg

My favourite GM division (yes, I had one) was Olds. They used to be very unique (and so did Pontiac, hence my mention of this) from the GM/Chevy stuff.

Naw, that's a '68, possible '69, gotta see the tail lights. '68 had tail lights below the bumper, '69 above the bumper. I had a '68 GTO.
smile.gif

See the guy in the commercial take the Crow Bar to the front bumper?
thumbsup2.gif

My theory of what killed GM's little sister division was greed pure and simple. Having every single car in the line up the same as cars offered by Chevrolet. I understand that Chevrolet for the most part of the last 60 years has been the #1 selling car brand in the world, but you can not force everyone to like the same stuff! People want options once GM took that away and just about every vehicle was a Chevy with a different logo it just killed business. That is what happens when bean counters become leaders.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Naw, that's a '68, possible '69, gotta see the tail lights. '68 had tail lights below the bumper, '69 above the bumper. I had a '68 GTO.
smile.gif

See the guy in the commercial take the Crow Bar to the front bumper?
thumbsup2.gif

It is a fastback isnt it. :DUH: Ok, it is a '68. Confirmed.
smile.gif

'66 was faster right?
thumbsup2.gif

And wasnt this the 4-4-2 cousin? Same '66 faster than '69 Fastback?
laugh.gif

I dont know The Goat like i should.
frown.gif

Do you like her, that green one?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
My theory of what killed GM's little sister division was greed pure and simple. Having every single car in the line up the same as cars offered by Chevrolet. I understand that Chevrolet for the most part of the last 60 years has been the #1 selling car brand in the world, but you can not force everyone to like the same stuff! People want options once GM took that away and just about every vehicle was a Chevy with a different logo it just killed business. That is what happens when bean counters become leaders.

I have a different theory: GM being an idiot with 5 car lines side by side (1. Chevy 2. OLDS my fav as well 3. Buick 4. Pontiac 5. Cadillac) killed Olds.

Anybody remember the SAME CAR of:

1. Pontiac Parisienne?
2. Olds "Delta" 88?
3. Chevy Caprice... ? ('81?)
4. Buick LESABRE????

smile.gif

EDIT: In the 2000s it was 1. GMC Envoy 2. Chevy Trailblazer 3. Olds Bravada (limited marked release) 4. Buick Rainier (looks nice) 5. ISUZU ASCENDER (i think) 6. SAAB 9-7X (omg!! Hmm.) and.. ok, thats 6. I think i got them all?

I don't believe there was any one reason for the death of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn and Hummer. But usually problems start at the top and roll their way down. I did not get upset last year hearing about Stempel's passing. He got a version of what had happened to Rick Wagoner. Ousted by the board versus the president. If Hyundai/Kia can go from [censored] in 85 to extremely profitable in 20-25 years time then GM should have had no trouble cranking out unique and reliable/quality cars.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
..... Having every single car in the line up the same as cars offered by Chevrolet. .....

Well, when I bought my '04 GTO, Chevrolet had nothing remotely like it. Nor my Solstice, nor my G8.

Chevrolet is the cheapest car in the GM lineup. Not everybody wants to drive a cheap car.

I get offers regularly from GM to buy a new Chevrolet or Buick, but I don't understand why. If I had wanted a Chevrolet or a Buick I would have bought one to start with.

Unless they bring over more Holdens, I doubt I'll buy another GM car. I'll just go back to buying Jaguars.

Enthusiasts got screwed when Poncho died. They had just started cranking out some exciting cars. Solstice, G8, and they had a stick shift in them if you wanted one!

I would have bought a G8 but they were too rare and the stealerships were gouging for them. Very nice car.

I had many different Pontiacs in the olden Daze and they were a great line of cars with real performance.

Originally Posted By: Win
....Unless they bring over more Holdens, I doubt I'll buy another GM car. .....

Except for maybe a Volt or two, and I don't rule out that Caddy could build a car I'd want to buy, but they royally ticked off a lot of customers that they won't easily get back, if ever.

And many of us were the worst kind of customer to tick off - we have cash and actually buy cars, not just talk about it endlessly on the internet and then never do squat.

I sure do love my 2006 Pontiac GTO (Holden Morano) with the full Pedders suspension. Incredible ride & cornering.

My dad had a '66 Bonneville just like the one in that link's sidebar (same exact color, but with a black 'leather roof').

I still remember that beast today, 389 2 barrel and all.
smile.gif
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back