a/t vs all all season vs summer vs passenger tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope you will bear with me as i try to to explain my problem and ask for your expertise to find a solution. my son just bought a 2010 mitsubishi pajaro mini that has winter tires on it ( toyo a/t 195-80r 15 winter). we live on a small tropical island where the temp is never below 60 degrees. it rains a lot and when the roads are wet, they are very slippery, needless to say that the winter tires are dangerous. the truck is never used off-road, always on pavement. i need a tire that handles well in the wet and dry. what type of tire is best for my situation? should i go for an all season tire or a summer tire or even a passenger tire ? what tire would you recommend ? all responses will be greatly appreciated. thank you for your patience.

DSC_0599.JPG

It's hard to recommend without knowing that is available in that unique size in your area.

It's not a common tire size that can have lots of options.

The tires that have the best wet traction are going to be summer tires. But there are a couple of caveats:

1) The tire size is very unusual. I'm thinking that it might be easier to start with the size and see what's available in your locale.

2) Wet traction can be divided into 2 regimes: hydroplaning resistance and wet grip (non-hydroplaning). Which is the one that is dominant? (I'm guessing the last one.) That would mean tires with an AA UTQG traction rating.

3) I'm also assuming that wear is NOT an issue - and even tires at the extreme end of wet grip, where the wear is really bad would be OK. In this case you will want tires with a low UTQG treadwear rating.

4) You do NOT want any OE tire - that is any tire that is supplied to a vehicle manufacturer. Tire Rack includes what vehicles a particular tire comes on (for vehicles sold in the US)

Originally Posted by okinawadon
i hope you will bear with me as i try to to explain my problem and ask for your expertise to find a solution. my son just bought a 2010 mitsubishi pajaro mini that has winter tires on it ( toyo a/t 195-80r 15 winter). we live on a small tropical island where the temp is never below 60 degrees. it rains a lot and when the roads are wet, they are very slippery, needless to say that the winter tires are dangerous.

No this is "often" backwards. Winter tires will wear excessively in the warmer climate, but their softer compound and additional sipes will have better grip in rain (all else equal which is seldom the case). Whatever tire you get, it is not safe to drive at high speeds on wet roads because it is a terrible handling vehicle, inherent in the design. It must be driven slower for the same safety margin.

However I do not see the tire you are referring to. Is it really a winter tire, or is it an A/T tire? I doubt it is both. Please link to it. A/T tires are usually worse at wet conditions, especially after they have aged.

Perhaps the tires are very old and the compound has hardened? If so then replace with all season tires for better mileage or summer for more grip, but the only real grip and safety issue is recognizing the limitations of the vehicle. Drive too fast and it will likely tip or roll over before tire traction matters.

the truck is never used off-road, always on pavement. i need a tire that handles well in the wet and dry. what type of tire is best for my situation? should i go for an all season tire or a summer tire or even a passenger tire ? what tire would you recommend ? all responses will be greatly appreciated. thank you for your patience.

Passenger tires are fine if it will never carry a significant load (more than a car would) or tow much, and will usually give a soften ride, but most so-called SUV tires are also really passenger tires, except those that have the specific, derated, load rating appropriate to trucks.

As far as specific tires, it depends on what is available to you at a reasonable price. Those 195/80R15 appear to be wrong, that the correct option for 15" wheels is 195/70R15, or 175/80R15, nothing with the taller 195/80 sidewall. I could see it if you wanted a larger volume tire with a little lower air pressure for off-road but for on road only, I would go with the 195/70R15.

Last edited:
Tyres that are renowned for wet grip, specifically designed for countries that get a lot of rain are as follows

UniRoyal RainSport
Vredestein Quattrac

There may be others, but those are the top two.

I would go with a summer tire if you can find a decent one, they can be hard to find in the US due to the prevalence of all seasons but they should suit the conditions in Okinawa very well.
I ran summer tires once on a previous vehicle and I loved them when it was warm (even when the roads were wet), but I had to get them off the vehicle if there was any hint of snow or even just cold conditions.

My big question is...how did a car with winter tires show up in Okinawa?? I assume it must have been imported from elsewhere?

Good comments above. You do NOT want an AT if wet roads are your priority. AT tires prefer larger tread blocks for strength, good wet tires favor more siping, which provides more "edges" to grip the road surface. *In general*, the more the tire is geared as an all-terrain and then mud-terrain, the worse it will do on wet pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back