A simple computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering, what exactly is "spam"?

I mean, what does it do besides aggervate people, and ruin web sites?

And what is it's purpose?

Thanks,
Talker

It is unsolicited e-mail.

Considering billions of spam e-mails are sent each day at little or no cost, a mere return of a few hundred dollars makes it profitable.

Last check on the e-mail server I have access to, 700,000 emails tried to enter our system a day, only 2% we allowed in as legitimate.

As P.T. Barnum is credited with saying: "There's a sucker born every minute." If the spammers send out enough emails, sooner or later they will find some rube who will bite. That is the purpose.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Last check on the e-mail server I have access to, 700,000 emails tried to enter our system a day, only 2% we allowed in as legitimate.

That jibes with my experience as well. Usually less than 5% of incoming mail is legit. The rest is junk. Sadly, the world is chock full of folks that think nothing of abusing other people's resources to make a buck.

I'd be happy to explain spam to you! Unfortunately, I am currently ill in a Nigerian hospital. Please wire me $7000 promptly so that I can recover and send you the necessary materials. For an additional $3000, I will also send you a master's degree from UBR (University of the Banana Republic), a genuine fake Patek Phillipe watch, and a year's supply of pills that guarantee h0t bedr00m act10n!

I always figured it was created by people with too much time on their hands. Email the spammers back a McDonald`s application so they can be productive instead of worthless lazy bums.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always figured it was created by people with too much time on their hands. Email the spammers back a McDonald`s application so they can be productive instead of worthless lazy bums.

Or not.

A reply tells them that they hit a real live email address and will increase the amount of spam they send you.

Originally Posted By: talker
I was just wondering, what exactly is "spam"?

I mean, what does it do besides aggervate people, and ruin web sites?

And what is it's purpose?

Thanks,
Talker

Spam is the email version of all those junk mail you get in your inbox. The problem is, they don't cost the sender anything but your email operator everything. So indirectly it cost you something (since they are now less profitable and have to do something to make more money to operate, etc).

It doesn't really ruin website, just cause additional traffic and cost, and a few Nigerian, Chinese, Russian, scam that tries to steal some account information in between.

Originally Posted By: Vilan
and a year's supply of pills that guarantee h0t bedr00m act10n!

shocked2.gif

happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back