a review of our 351W rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
removed the tired 351W from the car last March:

it was pretty clean under the valve covers:

cylinders were pretty good:

alot of slack in the timing chain:

the engine used to run hot - there was alot of crud in the cooling passages for the rear cylinders:

The rod bearings looked good - the mains and cam bearings were not good at all - explaining the low oil pressure:

closeup of one of the mains:

magnafluxing discovered a crack in the lifter valley by cylinder 3. it apparently had been welded by the previous owner:

close up of the cracks and repair:

new Mahle forged pistons:

stroker crank:

AFR heads:

installed in the engine bay:

Pulled the engine on March 13th, just got the car running two weeks ago. There was alot more work to do after the engine was in. This was our first engine rebuild.

Good job and great pictures sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
What a great experience for your son. A great thing for a Dad to do with his son.

Good review and thanks for showing the boy the ropes!

cheers3.gif

Also thanks for posting this,BITOG has been pretty boring lately!

Really brings back memories of doing this with my dad at his shop. Enjoy these times.

Hope the old gal runs like a top when you are all said and done.

Thanks a lot for sharing this w/ all of us. Nice to see your boy learning something interesting a eminently practical! You win today's "Dad of the Week" prize. Which is being named "Dad of the Week", by the way...

John.

That piston and rod is a thing of beauty, they should put an extra in every set so you can sit it on the workbench and just look at it...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
That piston and rod is a thing of beauty, they should put an extra in every set so you can sit it on the workbench and just look at it...
grin.gif

I agree - I'd like to have one on my desk...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Great build, thanks for sharing! Did you end up using a new block?

yes. debated on this for a while - use the old and take a chance? buy a used one and take a chance? Ended up using a Dart SHP block. they are sturdier than stock and have 4 bolt mains on most of the caps - as a bonus.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Looks great, thanks for the pics. With those heads, i bet it really runs now!

originally considered rebuilding the stock heads; then we considered using some Kaase heads.

Your son looks like he is well on his way to mastering engine work ! Good job dad.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Great build, thanks for sharing! Did you end up using a new block?

yes. debated on this for a while - use the old and take a chance? buy a used one and take a chance? Ended up using a Dart SHP block. they are sturdier than stock and have 4 bolt mains on most of the caps - as a bonus.

Excellent, figured you might use a dart or FMS, nice to see you did
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back