A review of our 07 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got to drive my parents Impala on a long trip - drove it from Green Bay WI back to CO Spgs., me driving the entire way.

My thoughts are that overall it's a decent car. GM seems to be trying to make cars feel more European like - the springs rates on this car are much stiffer then the big GM boats of yesterday, like our Olds 88. I'd say the spring rates are a bit too stiff for the rigidity of the chassis. The steering rate is much quicker as well, almost on par with my Corolla, and therefore, emergency maneuvering (such as around retreads from semi tires) is very easy.

The 3.5L V-6 did alright - I was hauling a$$ most of the way doing 80 to 85 mph tucked in behind semis and it managed a tick over 30 mpg. Power wise - I dunno. Just doesn't seem to have the oomph that the mighty 3.8L has. The electronic drive by wire throttle is just horrid - if you barely touch the pedal, it just doesn't go, but then when you really give it some more gas, it takes off like a bat!

Seats are a bit stiff and a bit uncomfortable for my liking.

The bad news - the radio is busted AGAIN - it won't work when it's cold - has to warm up. This is the 2nd radio, so tomorrow, it's going in for it's 3rd radio.

The overall quality is better then GMs we've had in the past. The doors close nice and crisp and sound heavy. The controls for the radio (when it works) and the HVAC are better. It has less squeaks and rattles and overall feels heavier and more solidly built. Sure wish it had the 3.9L V-6 though!

Oh, one more con: GM STILL can not put brakes worth a [censored] on their cars. The rotors were turned under warranty for vibration about 3,000 miles ago, and all it takes is throwing out the anchors on an exit ramp now to cause vibration again. Repeated stops when ambient temps are high cause moderate pedal vibration.
06.gif
Definitely will be going with aftermarket rotors when these brakes are used up.

Last edited:
I posted a little while back about an 08' Impala I spent the day in while touring with someone. (Work related)

It was a nicer interior than past but the car was lacking the fine quality of its competition.

It also had a CEL on with only 22K KM (13.75K Miles) and the dealership couldn't figure out the problem and so the guy was just putting up with the CEL.

The GM Logo was also put on the body crooked.

It's the little things...
frown.gif

There is here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1363834&fpart=1

Having the rotors turned on W-platform cars is a recipe for disaster. You need to replace the rotors when its time. You'd probably also do yourself better to avoid the ceramic pads, even though they keep your wheels nice and clean.

I have (presumably) the same electronic throttle system in my '06 Monte Carlo and I don't notice any lag with it at all. Power delivery is linear throughout the throttle range. Perhaps the extra low-end torque of the 3900 makes for smoother acceleration?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I posted a little while back about an 08' Impala I spent the day in while touring with someone. (Work related)

It was a nicer interior than past but the car was lacking the fine quality of its competition.

It also had a CEL on with only 22K KM (13.75K Miles) and the dealership couldn't figure out the problem and so the guy was just putting up with the CEL.

frown.gif

There is here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1363834&fpart=1

Isn't it ironic that it was built in Canada?
grin2.gif
Just giving you a hard time.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

I have (presumably) the same electronic throttle system in my '06 Monte Carlo and I don't notice any lag with it at all. Power delivery is linear throughout the throttle range. Perhaps the extra low-end torque of the 3900 makes for smoother acceleration?

The 3.5L has plenty of low end torque, but on ours, there is a dead spot in the gas pedal from rest to about 1/4 pushed in. It feels like it needs calibrating or something. I'm used to my car with a traditional throttle, where if I barely tap the pedal, it opens the throttle.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: StevieC

frown.gif

Isn't it ironic that it was built in Canada?
grin2.gif
Just giving you a hard time.
11.gif

Isn't it ironic that it was designed in the US?
LOL.gif
(We built the **** we don't design it!)

cheers3.gif
Thanks for the laugh...

I haven't done a significant amount of driving in any current generation Impalas, but I have looked over tons of them at work. Overall, the fit and finish and build quality of the current generation is much better than the previous generation. The materials on the interior have a much nicer feel and appearance than any of the materials in the last gen. The gaps are better and the plastic just seems to be higher quality. The interiors are still pretty plain on most models, but the layout of the controls is good.

Some of the Impalas I have seen had the CEL on, but most of the cars were company cars and lease returns, so they are pretty beat.

I don't know that any direct competitors to the Impala have significantly better quality for the same price. The base MSRP for an Avalon is about $4000 higher.

Uncle just picked up an 09 Impy...likes it so far.

I've driven a few...a bit boaty, but a fun drive none the less.

Scary part is you can get a Malibu cheaper here than an Impy (09 LSs)

The Mali is a better car, so I guess it is because the Impy gets good milage from that 3.5.....

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
If you like the fuel mileage of the 3.5, you won't like the 3.9.

My 3.9 does 30-31 on the highway and it doesn't even have the "Active Fuel Management" or whatever they're calling it now.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: MrCritical
If you like the fuel mileage of the 3.5, you won't like the 3.9.

My 3.9 does 30-31 on the highway and it doesn't even have the "Active Fuel Management" or whatever they're calling it now.

+1

Those engines tend to be pretty cool on the freeway....

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
... The electronic drive by wire throttle is just horrid - if you barely touch the pedal, it just doesn't go, but then when you really give it some more gas, it takes off like a bat! ...

Just like the 2009 Sonata. I too like my old cable throttle much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back