A Review of Engine Oil Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you're confused by the three temperature zones in an ICE.

There is 1) coolant temperature, 2) there is bulk oil temperature, and there is 3) combustion chamber temperature.

In the combustion chamber, peak temperature a few microseconds after ignition, can reach 4500*F. During combustion the average temperature in the combustion space can be 2500*F. These temperatures can quickly disassociate the chlorine molecule from any carrier.

See post #40 in case you missed it.
Thanks. You are right. I misread the part about temperature. I do not know what the additive is made off exactly. An older msds mentioned a % of Chlorinated Olefin. A newer version does not mention it. It's a petroleum based product existing out of 11 ingredients. I don't know what ingredients. Their website can be set to english language if you would like to check information. All i know is that it has worked for me with the mineral oil for decades. I absolutely don't claim anything or even tell people they should use it.

I've read Amsoil did a test with Dura Lube, Motorkote and Prolong. A cummings engine was involved which failed at a 195.000 miles and they found 11.000 ppm of CP in the oil. Amsoil wrote that aftermarket additives are not compatible with their engine oils. These are well balanced high detergent oils, i'm guessing that the additives weren't a good marriage and that's what probably caused the corrosion attack to the cam followers? Also ZDDP additives can differ...This example of an engine failure is an accident on it's own. The additive i am using seems to work great with a simple mineral oil without problems.
So how do you know this additive has a good chemistry marriage with your engine oil?

So how do you know this additive has a good chemistry marriage with your engine oil?
After 12 years of use and 200.000+ km i changed the valve stem seals last year. Oil was leaking towards the compression chambers causing blue smoke on a cold start. I checked the camshaft and followers as they came apart. Parts looked great. Besides me they have lots of customers from Europe to China without engine problems. Unfortunately they do not tell what's their formula exactly.

After 12 years of use and 200.000+ km i changed the valve stem seals last year. Oil was leaking towards the compression chambers causing blue smoke on a cold start. I checked the camshaft and followers as they came apart. Parts looked great. Besides me they have lots of customers from Europe to China without engine problems. Unfortunately they do not tell what's their formula exactly.
We could care less about other customers as you are the one making these claims. Side comments only detract from the topic focus.

So there was no pitting of the camshaft and followers that you could see visually with your own eyes. And we don't really know if there were microscopic corrosion pitting of the camshaft and followers or of the main bearings because they were not examined microscopically.

So, then there is no real advantage or 'macroscopic' advantages from this additive other than the engine has had this mix in it and it has not had a major failure, but rather some routine maintenance of the valve stem seals.

So logically, you could have had the same experience "without" this additive because you and others have not shown this additive has any efficacy whatsoever.

We could care less about other customers as you are the one making these claims. Side comments only detract from the topic focus.

So there was no pitting of the camshaft and followers that you could see visually with your own eyes. And we don't really know if there were microscopic pitting of the camshaft and followers or of the main bearings because they were not examined microscopically.

So, then there is no real advantage or 'macroscopic' advantages from this additive other than the engine has had this mix in it and it has not had a major failure, but rather some routine maintenance of the valve stem seals.

So logically, you could have had the same experience "without" this additive because you and others have not shown this additive has any efficacy whatsoever.
Why are you using the word "claim"? It's not my product. I share my experiences with it. Engine runs smoother with additive and with a quieter top end including the engine in general than it did with mineral oil only. There is no need for microscopy research when there is no lead for that. It's the same as if you would do microscopy research when using mineral oil only. It could be an issue too without an additive. If the engine's compression, vacuum reading, oil consumption hasn't changed for all those years with the additive there is no need for that. A humans eye can see corrosive parts when taking an engine apart. This ain't no rocket science project. Like i said before there is no obligation for an additive ofcourse but i have good results with it.

Last edited:
Why are you using the word "claim"? It's not my product. I share my experiences with it. Engine runs smoother with additive and with a quieter top end including the engine in general than it did with mineral oil only. There is no need for microscopy research when there is no lead for that. It's the same as if you would do microscopy research when using mineral oil only. It could be an issue too without an additive. If the engine's compression, vacuum reading, oil consumption hasn't changed for all those years with the additive there is no need for that. A humans eye can see corrosive parts when taking an engine apart. This ain't no rocket science project. Like i said before there is no obligation for an additive ofcourse but i have good results with it.
"Been using an additive for almost 20 years in an old V8 engine with no signs of corrosion."

Your claim is "no signs of corrosion." Your question was answered in post #20 as to why chlorinated additives are bad for machine parts.

"If the engine's compression, vacuum reading, oil consumption hasn't changed for all those years with the additive there is no need for that." So now you make the claim that you think the additive is responsible for your engine's compression, vacuum reading, oil consumption, etc., but you can't prove the additive was responsible for that, nor prove the same engine WITHOUT this additive would have given the same results.

I recommend you do some more study on engine oils and OTS additives because you are constantly missing many important tribological topics pointed out to you.

This thread was meant as an informative and educational thread on commercial engine oil additives, not as a thread to discuss OTS store shelf additives.

If you want to discuss OTS and Third Party additives, discuss it here:

But rest assured many of the "claims" of many of these products will be questioned.

Therefore, this thread is closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back