A reply from Pennzoil about new PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
skip029, Lower wear scores are better, as thats our best source of info. Sure there is some variability, and fleet testing can help there. Yet, we go with what we have. Sure maybe the National Ad Division NAD can fault Castrol when they claim an 18 micron score on IVA when that was only on one engine test run, yet it would stand up in court if the documentation was produced to prove it once got that. .... One solution is to create a new certification that actually puts an oil through 3 years of use in a fleet of 10 vehicles, tearing down the engines and measuring wear performance and normalizing for miles.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
skip029, Lower wear scores are better, as thats our best source of info. Sure there is some variability, and fleet testing can help there. Yet, we go with what we have. Sure maybe the National Ad Division NAD can fault Castrol when they claim an 18 micron score on IVA when that was only on one engine test run, yet it would stand up in court if the documentation was produced to prove it once got that. .... One solution is to create a new certification that actually puts an oil through 3 years of use in a fleet of 10 vehicles, tearing down the engines and measuring wear performance and normalizing for miles.

I agree! +1

I thing the PUP horse has a heart attack and died at the gate. I cant find it, its not for sale in this area.
A better question would be..
What lunatic decided to put two products so closely related to each other on the market.
Someone in Pennzoils marketing dept needs to find a different line of work they are better suited to like McDonalds counter help IMHO.

"What lunatic decided to put two products so closely related to each other on the market"

And then the MBA genius say "Hey! Let's just change the name!". Well, when all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Are you aware that the wear campaign by Castrol was started in 2009? GTX blend was 4X better then EDGE was 8X better.
It was then discontinued. Castrol has moved on to ......

Obsolete information. Not relevant now. Old history. New formulas now. Five years ago is a long time in the oil business, we are now on SN oil. ... Like I said above, the new 5x wear SynBlend claims are on the bottles/jugs only. Not on websites as far as I know.

So your all your chest pounding is referring to an obsolete marketing claim?

Are you aware that the wear campaign by Castrol was started in 2009? GTX blend was 4X better then EDGE was 8X better.

Obsolete information. Not relevant now. Old history. New formulas now. Five years ago is a long time in the oil business, we are now on SN oil. ... Like I said above, the new 5x wear SynBlend claims are on the bottles/jugs only. Not on websites as far as I know.

You didn't read my posts. You referred to the old 5 year claims. I am referring to the current 5x Castrol Synblend claims made on the bottle/jugs, a current claim based on the 90 micron wear limit, NOT referring to the old fiasco with Mobil1 failing Seq IVA (which then got Valvoline and Castrol and Quaker to start claims 5 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
My major disappointment is that PUP, seems to not be available anywhere. I checked autozone, walmart, kmart, advanced auto..seems like nobody carries it. I see the new PP..but no PUP.

Ditto.

Pennzoil lost a customer, in me, who changes oil every two months with the amount of driving I do. I was a regular user of PU, but I had to put something in my car last week, and with no PU or PUP to be found, I ordered Redline from a local car parts store.

You didn't read my posts. You referred to the old 5 year claims. I am referring to the current 5x Castrol Synblend claims made on the bottle/jugs, a current claim based on the 90 micron wear limit, NOT referring to the old fiasco with Mobil1 failing Seq IVA (which then got Valvoline and Castrol and Quaker to start claims 5 years ago.

From Castrol North America. I appolgize for the late reply but Castrol was a little tardy in answering my question.

Good afternoon,

I have an inquiry why does your GTX Synthetic blend state it provides 5X
wear protection on your 5W20 grade in regards to short trip wear
protection, but does not state anywhere on the 5W30 grade about wear
protection percentages. Why is this?

Thank you for your assistance,

Sincerely,
David

Problem Resolution:
Mon 26/05/2014/10:04 AM EDT/ LT - Castrol Representative (time)-
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The information which you have inquired about regarding Castrol GTX SynBlend 5W-20 is not a current claim so further information is not available.

Please see the attached Product Data Sheet for Castrol GTX SynBlend oil which provides additional information, SAE grade availability, industry specifications, warranty/protection requirements, current claims and the typical properties of the product.

Castrol Consumer Relations

In summary. Make sure you know what you are claiming when referring to advertising claims especially obsolete and vague claims. As you posted a reply to me earlier I recommend to you get a grip.

so that claim was accurate but isn't uptodate vs competition TODAY?wow!so bottom line?always ignore advertising claim ?good to know!

Originally Posted By: STupidfaST
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
My major disappointment is that PUP, seems to not be available anywhere. I checked autozone, walmart, kmart, advanced auto..seems like nobody carries it. I see the new PP..but no PUP.

Ditto.

Pennzoil lost a customer, in me, who changes oil every two months with the amount of driving I do. I was a regular user of PU, but I had to put something in my car last week, and with no PU or PUP to be found, I ordered Redline from a local car parts store.

Redline costs near what ultra here costs which I feel is absurd. If I'm paying 75 a jug for oil it's going to be amsoil/royal purple /redline etc.
And only napa here carries it. I've got like 10 jugs left from when it was on special for 28 a jug,and I'll never buy it again,unless of course it's on special.
When I can buy jugs on sale from 23-29 bucks,for 5 litres I'd be a fool to spend double,for a product that's only marginally better that platinum or ultimate durability which goes on special for 26 a jug all the time.
For me cost is the only variable that matters. Today's oils are so close that to say one is better than another is only opinion,not fact,so find the cheapest that meets the spec and stock up.

Jmo

I have an inquiry why does your GTX Synthetic blend state it provides 5X

Sincerely,
David

In summary. Make sure you know what you are claiming when referring to advertising claims especially obsolete and vague claims. As you posted a reply to me earlier I recommend to you get a grip.

You STILL don't have the facts right. If you look on the CURRENT Castrol GTX Synblend 5w-20 and 5w-30 (yes both) quarts and jugs, you will see the "5x Wear" claim, as compared to the 90 micron SN Sequence IVA wear limits asterisked on the back.

synblend_1qt_5w30.jpg

and also reference http://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-SynBlend-5W20-1qt/21686076

I am referring to the current 5x Castrol Synblend claims made on the bottle/jugs, a current claim based on the 90 micron wear limit, NOT referring to the old fiasco with Mobil1 failing Seq IVA (which then got Valvoline and Castrol and Quaker to start claims 5 years ago.

Problem Resolution:

The information which you have inquired about regarding Castrol GTX SynBlend 5W-20 is not a current claim so further information is not available.

dave1251, don't feel bad, it looks like Castrol customer relations think you are talking about the old obsolete circa 2009 wear claims too. Its easy to get them confused. They are claiming a different basis now for their CURRENT 5x Wear on labels, now based on sequence iva limits only.

I am referring to the current 5x Castrol Synblend claims made on the bottle/jugs, a current claim based on the 90 micron wear limit, NOT referring to the old fiasco with Mobil1 failing Seq IVA (which then got Valvoline and Castrol and Quaker to start claims 5 years ago.

Problem Resolution:

dave1251, don't feel bad, it looks like Castrol customer relations think you are talking about the old obsolete circa 2009 wear claims too. Its easy to get them confused. They are claiming a different basis now for their CURRENT 5x Wear on labels, now based on sequence iva limits only.

Ticket #91109
Ticket: Castrol GTX SyntheticBlend.

Company: Castrol
Phone:
Address: Not Provided
Detail Description:
Mon 19/05/2014/1:31 PM EDT/ LT - Castrol Representative (time)-
Fri 16/05/2014/4:44 PM EDT/ [email protected] (email)
Good afternoon,

I have a inquire why does your GTX Synthetic blend state it provides 5X

Sincerely,
David

Problem Resolution:

Please see the attached Product Data Sheet for Castrol GTX SynBlend oil which provides additional information, SAE grade availability, industry specifications, warranty/protection requirements, current claims and the typical properties of the product.

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/engine-oils/gtx-product-page.html

Notice the link to Castrol's product data sheet. No where is the 5 times better wear claim.

I do not feel bad because you are either illiterate which you have proven is not the case or can not admit you are simply wrong.

All is left is that you can not admit you are simply wrong. I have never seen anyone that has been provided the facts from the horses mouth and then state the horse is wrong.

Notice the link to Castrol's product data sheet. No where is the 5 times better wear claim.

I do not feel bad because you are either illiterate which you have proven is not the case or can not admit you are simply wrong.

All is left is that you can not admit you are simply wrong. I have never seen anyone that has been provided the facts from the horses mouth and then state the horse is wrong.

There is your problem: You think PDS text is infallible. Over the years, many errors/omissions have been made on those. I would believe whats printed on the CURRENT Castrol GTX Synblend 5w-20 and 5w-30 bottles/jugs over what a Castrol clerk (not a horse-mouth as u said) or the PDS omits. ... OK, so you believe PDS and clerks, I'll believe what is printed on the bottles/jugs for both grades. Now go away, please.

Edit: Add the fact that your web/PDS info has a 2012 update tag, 2 years ago. Their current product bottles/jugs labels are much newer than that. ... Also, get what I was saying earlier, that the Castrol Cust Rel clerk thought you were referring to the 2009 claims which they are tired of answering, and help-line email clerks are often wrong.

Look at my post of the picture of the CURRENT oil bottle above and see that its 5w-30 with the 5x, and also click on the Walmart image link next to it for the 5w-20 picture with the 5x on it too. Case closed. Its right there in front of you, just look at it.

Last edited:
Well Castrol referred me to the current PDS and stated the wear claims in the PDS are the current specs, claims, and stated the 5 times better wear claims on the bottle are outdated. You are looking at old stock and not current claims.

If I remember correctly when group 3s hit the market this sort of round and round discussions went on forever. The PAO camp, the ester camp, the dino camp, the group 2+ and the three's camp. Every player eventually and always left in the same camp they arrived in. Nothing was ever decided or agreed upon. GTLs are nothing new and I bet that every one of you has used them somewhere without knowing. Maybe the elastic in my panties was a GTL then a synthetic fabric (and back again). Does any one here want to come up with a list of products and uses for natural gas base stocks? Evaporation losses are all part of the plan to keep a lubricant in grade over its expected service life. It is allowed. The allowable limits ain't what they used to be, but an oil formulator would be a fool to raise the cost of a product without just cause. Shell stated that the product was 100% GTL base stock, they did not say it was a single cut if that is the right term for "synthetic" base stocks. Like the man said, you all got your panties all snugged up, and if history is repeating its self here they are going to remain in a stinking wet wad for a long time to come.

Originally Posted By: richport29
Any reason PUPP isn't available in Canada?

The same reason PU isn't readily available in Canada - retailers want too much for it. The new PU will undoubtedly be available up here, at least in places like NAPA that stock it, when they get rid of their $70+ jugs of old PU. In other words, we'll have the current PU just in time for the next reformulation.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: richport29
Any reason PUPP isn't available in Canada?

The same reason PU isn't readily available in Canada - retailers want too much for it. The new PU will undoubtedly be available up here, at least in places like NAPA that stock it, when they get rid of their $70+ jugs of old PU. In other words, we'll have the current PU just in time for the next reformulation.
wink.gif

I'm hoping Napa has the same sale they had last year on PU. Picked up a case (3 jugs), should have bought more..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back