A relic I inherited...

I was so happy to see those things go away in the mid '80s. I had a genuine concern seeing all those new plastic bottles in the store (I'm not an 'environmentalist', and there was no plastic recycling then), but the oil cardboard cans were a mess waiting to happen. The old cans would leak and even 'sweat' oil. No re-capping one after an oil change that didn't hold exact, round amount either.

My Dad said when he worked at a "Filling Station" in the 50s that they had a barrel that all of the empties rested on a funnel and drained into. Said they never had to buy oil for themselves from the drainings.

I may have stabbed a thousand oil cans with one of those. I worked at a local Mobil Station as a gas jock in my late teens. We always checked the oil, battery, etc. Warshed the windows. Some cars rolled up 2 quarts down. I also did oil changes (with chassis lube). Sometimes I did close to 10 oil changes while watching the pumps on Sundays. Sunday was my 12 hour day. I also cleaned the shop, wiped down and put away tools where necessary.

I loved that job. "Pump ethel?"

My Dad said when he worked at a "Filling Station" in the 50s that they had a barrel that all of the empties rested on a funnel and drained into. Said they never had to buy oil for themselves from the drainings.
I still do that today. I use "drip" oil for topping off and all my OPE oil changes.

Used those at the Sohio I worked at in high school. Had to be careful, the point on it was really sharp, could cut you (or the side of the oil can) if you weren't careful.

I used one of these;
View attachment 53147

and I still have one of these;

View attachment 53149
I've used a phone like that myself in my childhood (it was way after it's time, but a close friend's parents loved it for some reason).

I have absolutely no idea what the second image is. I'm assuming something that calculates distance...or is just used to do math in general? I'm stumped.

I've used a phone like that myself in my childhood (it was way after it's time, but a close friend's parents loved it for some reason).

I have absolutely no idea what the second image is. I'm assuming something that calculates distance...or is just used to do math in general? I'm stumped.

It’s a slide rule. Standard equipment 50 years ago and back.

I used and owned one of those in a previous life but haven't seen it in years. As for the corded phone my mom and I both still have one, it comes in handy when there's a power outage and the electric cordless phones won't work. I'm probably one of the few people in the US that still doesn't use a cell phone. My son ask me several years ago what I was going to do if I was on the road and had car trouble. I told him I was going to do what I'd have done 30 years ago, get out and walk to find help.

No re-capping one after an oil change that didn't hold exact, round amount either.
Certain 1# coffee can lids made of plastic would snap on an open oil can nice and snug. Another item that's almost extinct.
As a matter of fact, the cans which contain the store brand coffee we buy are made of a composite resembling that of the last generation of oil cans.

Grew up using those. I remember when oil cans went from being metal, to metal top and bottom with fiber sides. You had to have a bit of finesse on the fiber side oil cans, as sometimes they would partially deform when piercing the metal top causing a bit of a mess. This brings back a memory of an old Valvoline poster I remember seeing on the wall of a shop I frequented back in the day. Was a picture of a "chesty" young girl in a white T-shirt (with Valvoline logo of course) and two large greasy hand prints on each breast. The bottom of the poster had the words "Real men don't change oil from plastic bottles".

When plastic bottles came out, I was surprised with all the plastic waste. I used to incinerate the paper cans. Couldn't do that with plastic, it was too tough on the air.

Had one of these with a magnet attached and kept it inside the glove box door. Just had to have a small funnel in the trunk.
Those spouts (pictured) always leaked.
LOL I still have one hanging on my fridge next to my beer opener! Never know when you might need to open a soup can (or oil can)...

20210424_061433.jpg

You may be surprised to learn that the oil we use comes in the old-style metal cans. That oil spout will work just fine on a quart of 2380.

BP2380_a_9.jpg

It was left to drain on the side of a 55 gallon drum that doubled as a trash can. Probably not very clean. The rip off gas stations would not push dipstick all the way in showing you need a QT and then stick one of these in an empty oil can and add nothing.

Back