A Recomended oil for my 97 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The snow with start flying here in south dakota soon, and i due for an oil changed. The last fill has about 4500 miles on it.
The vehicle has 148,000miles on the clock the PO didnt take care of it. It has some sludgeing.
My question is what would work best to protect the engine over this winter and clean the internals as best as possible

I have used Val WB, Val Max life, FS, PYB, QS Green bottle and Mobil super 5000. Hard to till which cleaned the best, PYB got darkest fastest if that means anything.
Butt dino preferred the Mobil super 5000 though. Was not the quietest/smoothest running of the group, but it seems give better mileage on my 70 mile round trip commute. Usually avg 22 to 24+ and seemed to be on the higher end more when running the mobil super 5000. Also switching between 5/30 and 5/20 did not make much difference for mileage, but car felt peppier with the 5/20. Who knows could have been the switch between sm to sn also.

Ill buy nothing but a MotorCraft Fl820s. as the for the oil, im not sure. there are so many choices I cant make up my mind. That is why i asked for suggestions regarding what would do best.

Good filter choice and what oil is on sale near you right now? Cant you guys in the midwest get Pennzoil Platinum fairly cheap at Walmart like $19 a jug? Last year a lot of people here were high on this oil for its cleaning properties.

Id say PYB and two filter changes in the time of the OCI and Im pretty sure your car is on the list of old fords that can use 5W-30 I know my 94 is so im guessing yours is too. Maybe even do 4000km instead of 5000km on the oil if your that concerened. Just my 2 bits.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Lots of smart guys on here that are willing to help. Do some reading there is alot of people that have ran into problems and had questions like yours many times and have posted wealths of info and combined spent tons of money on problems and satisfying their curiosity so you can bennefit from that. Sometimes I remember things from the site that I have not needed to know right away but helped me out later.

I think he is overwhelmed by the oil brands. Lets give him a couple oil types i say penzoil and he has to make the choice of conventional or synthetic cause from what I understand from here is they both clean pretty well for just oil. Along with the MMO if you guys think thats the right amount. I do agree with the thinner for winter so maybe a 5w-?? for the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat
I think he is overwhelmed by the oil brands. Lets give him a couple oil types i say penzoil and he has to make the choice of conventional or synthetic cause from what I understand from here is they both clean pretty well for just oil. Along with the MMO if you guys think thats the right amount. I do agree with the thinner for winter so maybe a 5w-?? for the oil.

Exactly! I just resently sold my other MGM with 238,000 Miles and that car saw MotorCraft Semi-Syn 5w20 its whole life. The engine was spotless inside. But, The car i have now is filthy internally. I ultimately plan on using MotorCraft after after i get this thing clean.
So Penziol would be my best bet? I can get PYB for something like $19 a jug
On a side note. This car is driving fairly hard. It sees WOT runs atleast once a day. I like to let her rev, after all it is a 4.6

Last edited:
Any oil will clean and keep an engine clean. All oil is , is a lubrication filter (basically) go for a good conventional oil with a strong add pack. Personally I am using Mobil super 5000 high mileage. I noticed slightly cooler engine temps and other than that its quiet ect. It's also cheap 15 bucks at Walmart for 5quarts. It's a pretty good bang for your bucks. But pennz conventional is pretty good to. Personally I don't use valvoline it does a fine job but I have notice that every car I've owned seemed to do better on something else. If you suspect the engine is dirty you could use mmo with your oil. The stuff does work I don't like additives but I do use mmo. You could even use a hdeo for a 3000 mile run to clean stuff up it cleans better than regular oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back