A quick lube 3387A (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Security Global' oil filter installed by Precision Tune on first gen Chevy Equinox. It has ~4300 miles in ~5 months, 27% on OLM. Could have been run a bit longer, but the vehicle now part of family extended stable, thought I'd pull maintenance and inspect while available over Thanksgiving. One owner from another family member.

Filter looks similar to the postings of most other jobber tier of this coo, China. Rather fitting though since it was installed on a GM 3.4L engine having the same coo. In addition to oil and filter being replaced, air and CAF done too. Was going replace the PCV valve too, but discovered it is an integral part of the valve cover. Other than jury rigging only way to replace is with entire valve cover. A lifetime part I guess.
whistle.gif
Looks as though valve cover not too difficult to replace if required.

Pic of nitrile adbv in center tube opening a little deceiving, when I first tried, it flew out. For nitrile though normal pliability ime. Lots of pleats, metal seam pleat a little wonky orientation but with plentiful pleating, no effect. No filter bypass, GM with block bypass. Replaced with Napa Silver 31040 and some ~$2/qt Napa conventional 5w30 from stash,
cfb5d1e6-1431-4662-9d2b-577c89f1b1f5.jpg

80af7a15-521b-4d8e-adef-e7f8529b4d5d.jpg
d969ca66-d73a-4c1f-bf71-ddd2c8122a32.jpg

next time you can use the longer filters that are used in the blazers. If you search for PF52 you can find plenty of alternatives. I loaded up on larger Mobil 1 filters when rockauto had them for $2.99.

I believe it is 3980 if I remember correctly

Not sure how often I'll see the vehicle but I'll keep in mind the longer filter recommendation. Using Fram look up specs, looks to be significantly longer.

As for filter, as noted in my observation of other posted anecdotes looks fairly similar to those of other jobbers of same coo. Coil compression spring fairly stout and functional.

I never heard of the brand either, why I put title as quick lube.

Nice part too is there can be clearance issues with the longer filter but the 3.4 in the Equinox is perfect. If you aren't going to see the car too often I would go with a NAPA gold if possible or an extended filter on rockauto. They are always going in and out of clearance.

The Camry goes to a local Valvoline for lube. I wonder what they use for filters? Darn, I shoulda asked when I was there last Friday with work van.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
The Camry goes to a local Valvoline for lube. I wonder what they use for filters? Darn, I shoulda asked when I was there last Friday with work van.
grin2.gif

Latest posting I saw shows they are now Fram filtration line. Seemingly that would be similar to/same as WM TLE line including some ecores as shown in the LINK. They would also be similar to/same as the AZ STP oil filter line shown on your signature vehicles. (at least on the east coast) Assuming 4 cylinder be interesting to know if they use the longer spec 4386 or the downsized 4967. AZ STP only shows the latter application so my speculation would be that's what Valvoline quick lube uses. Standard practice to downsize at quick lubes. 4967 Valvoline equivalent (VO-40?) would not be an ecore though.

^^^^^That's because it's not supposed to. My last post was/is a direct reply to a member query regarding "I wonder what they use for filters?" ie., Valvoline quick lube(s). I proceeded to answer his query with a link that 'afaik' shows the latest pic I found of a Valvoline quick lube filter. NOT a reference to the topic quick lube filter from a different quick lube chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back