A question, & opinions are welcome also

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a `13 Mustang GT convertible as a retirement present to myself last December. The car had been sitting on the lot most of the year, probably because it is "Gotta have it green" which is a love it, or hate it color, + they would not come down on the price much- msrp- $43,234.

After all that sitting, plus the fact that it was a convertible in December, they came down $10,000 after a lot of back & forth. I got the car with 145 miles on the odo. Half of that was because Ford pulled it off the line for a Quality check, according to a slip in the glove box. The rest was test drives I guess.

Now on to my question. I had them change the oil when I bought it because it was free. I`m from the old school, & always read that if you are going to put the car away for the winter, its best to change the oil, & then change it again when it comes out of hibernation. Is this still the general consensus?, or with the advent of the newer oils, can I just leave the oil in & just keep on keepin on. It has 5W-20 Motorcraft semi syn, with a Motorcraft filter on it. Oh Yeah, the car now has 933 miles on it (not a typo). Its just my toy & has yet to see bad weather.

Thanks,

Ken

Originally Posted By: kenv
I`m from the old school, & always read that if you are going to put the car away for the winter, its best to change the oil, & then change it again when it comes out of hibernation. Is this still the general consensus?

I think either/or. Oil can oxidize in the crankcase just sitting. But at the same rate it would in a daily driver, that is to say 4 or 6 months sitting is nothing. Nothing is being accomplished by changing the oil in the fall and then draining what's basically brand new oil again in spring.

If you were going to subject yourself to this level of effort and expense there are a lot of better things you could spend it on than double oil changes.

Nice car! I would just change the oil before putting it away then when you're ready to pull it out of storage and enjoy the car.

BITOG consensus? Scary to use those words in the same sentence LOL.

Lots of thoughts on this, some say get it nice and hot in the fall, change the oil and park it for the winter then just drive in spring. This keeps the acids away from the engine over the storage period. No need to change again in spring.

Then there is the argument that just leaving it alone for the normal OCI is fine; since the oil has less than 1000 miles on it this would be my opinion.

Lots more responses coming I am sure.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Drive the car more and stick to a normal OCI. Letting it sit is doing more harm than good. Driving it that little, I'd be far more worried about the fuel than I would the oil.

You did the right thing. No need to change in the spring. What you really need to worry about is the battery.

Just change oil by the OLM. Oil doesn't go bad quickly sitting in the engine, especially if the car is garaged. Lot's of these guys just love to change oil for the fun of it, they'll get over it as they get older.

I will do a two year OCI on the miata which is driven about 3000 miles per summer (mostly short trips to work with some weekend longer trips).

I will get an UOA done next september to see if this use is correct or not, and if there is no problem with the car.

I change the oil if possible just before storing the car, or the weekend before, does not matter much.

Page 258.

Engine
• The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days. Run at fast idle until it reaches normal operating temperature.
• With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.

2013 Mustang

you did right changing it before storage. in the spring get it out and drive it! cars that are driven are generally a lot more trouble free. The battery last longer, the tires don't rot, bearings go for more miles, etc.

Enjoy that beauty! The motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter is and excellent combo. I believe ford is now allowing up to 10k mile oil changes in some models that are factory filled with this lube.

Can We get some pictures of this beauty!? I personally love the Green mustangs.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You did the right thing. No need to change in the spring. What you really need to worry about is the battery.

Thanks for all the quick replies. As far as the battery goes, I have it hooked to a battery tender that only trickle charges when needed.

WOW! I did not even know they offered that color for the Stangs (or anything else in their lineup).

You will definitely NOT 'pass yourself' too often with that color!
thumbsup2.gif

I store 3 cars..and by store I mean just thru the winter.

I change the oil in the spring when I use them. Modern oils can easily sit for 3 months, you;re wasting time, money, and the environment by doing a before and after oil change. There's no harm, but there's no good either...

A lot of folks think that they're protecting their cars with these uber frequent oil changes, and there's just no data to support that.

Do what you want, but youre doing it for you, not the car.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'd be far more worried about the fuel than I would the oil.

Good point. At times it can appear the vehicles longevity centres on the magical elixir yet to be found that sits in the engine's sump.

Change the oil and the rest takes care of itself. Interesting concept.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back