A question for Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny,

The reason you speak so highly of Pennzoil and Quaker state.

1 you worked and retired from this company and advertise for them.

2 Is it a really good product?

Just asking thank you

(your signature line is inappropriate, let this serve as a warning)

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bigmanoncampus
Johnny,

Just asking thank you

1. Yes, 24.5 years total.

2. Yes

If you want the whole history, I will give it to you.

Frankly I have a lot of respect for Johnny. Unlike others, he is very open about his relationship and sticks to the facts without a bunch of marketing hype. I don't see the lies, half truths, exaggerations, etc. in his posts I see in others.

Where is is really bad is on dog food in some of the dog forums.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: bigmanoncampus
Johnny,

Just asking thank you

1. Yes, 24.5 years total.

2. Yes

If you want the whole history, I will give it to you.

After re-reading this and not knowing exactly why you asked, my answers are as follows.

1. Yes, I did work for the Pennzoil Products Company, Pennzoil-Quaker State Company, and then Shell Oil Company for a total of 24.5 years, and yes I did retire from there as stated in my signature. From 1989-2005 I was the Distributor Marketing Manager in Wisconsin. But since October 2005 I do not advertise for them.

2. Yes

Johnny,

I asked because I don't see the half truths, exaggerations so one and so one from you. You speak highly of the QS product, while others don't. That is the only reason, no hidden agenda..

Did you manufacture this product? Fascinating, how is it manufactured with out reveling propriety secrets of course. I was thinking of using the QS product and would like more information.

Thank you Johnny

I was not involved with any of the technical or manufacturing process. During the first part of my career I did have the chance to visit the original Pennzoil refinery in Oil City, PA, and made several trips to the Pennzoil refinery, blending, and packaging plant in Shreveport, LA., and almost on a monthly basis I went to the R&D Lab in The Woodlands, TX. After Pennzoil bought Quaker State, I never had an opportunity to visit any of the Quaker State facilities. I have been to the Shell refinery, blending and packaging plant in Port Arthur, TX., and made many trips to the Shell R&D center in Southwest Houston. Except for my short stint with the Racing Division of Pennzoil, I spent my entire career in the marketing of the brand. And believe me, sometimes that was very challenging with some of the [censored] the marketing department in Houston came up with, especially after Pennzoil bought Quaker State.

As a kid, I didn't know there was any motor oil OTHER than Quakerstate. My grandparents sold it in their little general store and it was all my father ever used. I remember right after they switched to the plastic bottle-that was also right when my dad bought his 84 Chevette. I saw lots and lots of green and white plastic bottles....

I think associating it with that era is all that keeps me for buying it. It's a great cheap SOPUS oil. $10 for a 5-quarter of it in 5W20 is a great deal at Wally World.

The Quaker State brand today is so much better than back then. One of the best bottle designs ever was by the old Quaker State Company. They first came out with those white round bottles, then they redesigned it and it had an internal vent tube in it that really made it easy to pour. One of the best oils they made back in the 80's was called Sterling.

Also might add that back in the 80's they were my number one competitor and I hated them. After Pennzoil bought Quaker State it was really hard for me to get onboard to selling something I had always sold against.

Last edited:
No, I sold against it back in the 80's and early 90's. They were our number one competitor. Pennzoil bought the Quaker State Company back in the late 90's and that is when I started marketing it.

Quaker State is a very good oil and you can use it with confidence.

21.gif
You would need to ask one of the moderators that question

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The Quaker State brand today is so much better than back then. One of the best bottle designs ever was by the old Quaker State Company. They first came out with those white round bottles, then they redesigned it and it had an internal vent tube in it that really made it easy to pour. One of the best oils they made back in the 80's was called Sterling.

Also might add that back in the 80's they were my number one competitor and I hated them. After Pennzoil bought Quaker State it was really hard for me to get onboard to selling something I had always sold against.

I would have probably used QS as well, when I started driving, but my first car was an old 320i Bimmer that I thought was a Porsche. And since more mechanics used Valvoline, that's what I went to and used until I started buying M1 for my CR-V since it was all I could find in 5W20 back in 02. Ironically, I've used nothing but old SJ Pennzoil Synth in it (packaged in Shreveport before the sale to Calumet) for the last year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back