A question for baseball fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which have you been to more: major or minor league games?

I've been to two majors, but about 8 minor since '00 and found them more enjoyable.
36.gif
Best seat ticket prices are lower than the worst seats at majors, and the players were making an effort to show they can do the job.

Majors just seem to want to piddle around and rake in the ridiculous bucks.

Pretty much agree and the reason we got spanked (again) in the WCS.

Pro ball players are fat, lazy, rich and some of them are still stupid.

We go to Aquasox and Mariner games at about the same clip. I will admit though that Safeco field is pretty nice.

When I was young and lived in Cleveland I used to go see the Indians at the old Cleveland Stadium. The bleachers were 50 cents and general admission was 2 bucks. That is in the early to mid 60s. I live in Louisville and we have a very nice few year old stadium...Slugger field...prices are great and the team Louisville Bats a farm of Cincy plays good ball...

I'm glad you started this thread.

Get this: There are tickets in the "new" Yankee Stadium that go for $2,500.00/Game. There are many available if you're interested.

But even better, a friend just got a job in one of the restaurants at this new ballpark. He was browsing the computer at the restaurant and came across the prices for food and beverages served in the 'luxury' boxes.

A 20 oz. glass of Budweiser beer will cost you................................$32.00!

When I lived in Seattle, I went to 15 games all in the bleechers at safeco field. I also went to 10 AAA games in Edmonton, AB and 5 A or AA games in Pensacola, FL. I loved the stadium in Seattle but the effort really showed in the minors compared to the MLB games. plus i brought my own beer and drank in the parking lot at the games in Pensacola.

I used to be a Twins season ticket holder and go up to 78 games a year!

I still go on occasion, but find it cheaper and less hassle (of course) to just watch them at home.

I'll admit to watching them (Indians) on tv, and also watch Cubs or White Sox on occasion when they are on WGN because we moved here from Northern Illinois 30 years ago, so I sort of feel nostalgic for WGN and Chicago. More than I ever would for NE Ohio if we ever can move.
whistle.gif

It drives my wife crazy, but I like to listen to baseball (sometimes football and basketball) on the radio for the noise and because of no endless instant replays ("let's see it from another angle." "let's see it in black and white." "let's see it in green and blue.",etc). She likes baseball fine otherwise. Too bad no stations here carry MRN for the races.
wink.gif
Can't afford sattelite radio.

Red sox were on broadcast TV until 2002 then they moved to their-owned NESN. NESN bullies the cable companies for more money per subscriber and as a result sometimes is its own tier.

I'm too cheap for cable so it's radio for me. The announcers have been doing it since forever so it's a good listen.

One year the playoffs were ONLY on AM radio WRKO out of Massachusetts as ESPN carried them... but not that game for some reason. Was fun setting the radio up "just right" and hearing distant thunder crackling etc.

Minor league baseball is an ok watch but too gimmicky. "The 2nd baseman blowing his nose is sponsored by Claritin, for all your allergies" etc.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Going to a major league game with nice seats is becoming a status thing - like a Rolex.

Scored some low cost, but good seats for the Chokeners tonight. I'm outta here in a little bit.

No interest in majors or the minors, little league and younger is where it is at. Nothing like coaching a bunch of little ones to play the game when there is no money, steroids, or fame to get in the way. That's when it is enjoyable.

I remember playing with Mickey Mantle baseball cards($$$$), clipping them onto our bicycle frame so they hit the spokes to sound like a motorcycle.

I love pro baseball only for the nostalgic memories going to Chicago on a hot weekend afternoon with my parents. Otherwise, I mostly despise the state of today's pro sports.

On the other hand, I enjoy our local minor league team and go to their games about 6 times a year. Very cheap, fun, creating new memories.

One of the best things our town did was to build a beautiful minor league park about 10 years ago. It really helped get downtown revitilization going:

2_sm.jpg
4_sm.jpg
6_sm.jpg

Never been to a minor league game. Been to a gazillion major league games but have lost interest in recent years. Many stadiums seem only 1/3 full and not much enthusiam from the fans. Without the atmosphere, you might as well watch it on TV. One exception is St. Louis Cardinal games. St. Louis is still a great place to watch games at the stadium because the place is usually close to packed and the fans are into it. Every time I'm in STL, I make it a point to attend a game or two.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
Which have you been to more: major or minor league games?

I've been to lots of major and a few minor league games. In the last few months I've discovered college baseball. In my case anyway, you don't have to fight the crowds or the parking. I went to some Big 12 games where $8 got you a backrest seat right behind home plate. Since the games are usually in the spring, the weather is cooler and even the concession stand is reasonable.
IMO, major league can take a flying leap and I have no intention of going back.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Never been to a minor league game. Been to a gazillion major league games but have lost interest in recent years. Many stadiums seem only 1/3 full and not much enthusiam from the fans. Without the atmosphere, you might as well watch it on TV. One exception is St. Louis Cardinal games. St. Louis is still a great place to watch games at the stadium because the place is usually close to packed and the fans are into it. Every time I'm in STL, I make it a point to attend a game or two.

St Louis is a baseball town. We are fortunate to have the Cards here. The fans are great, and many/most are so knowledgeable regarding baseball that they'll even cheer a great play by the other team.

They always want the Cards to win, but applaud excellence even when it's displayed by the other team.

And it's always fun to sweep the Cubs. (Not so much fun to be swept by the Brewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back